News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Eric Smith

Re: Abandoned Golf Designs
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2012, 11:47:41 AM »
Wardo,

There was what I would consider to be a great new Pete and PB Dye Course being built here in Tennessee called Rarity Mountain. Matter of fact, along about 3 years ago I had the privilege of playing the newly completed front nine with a handful of others while the back nine was still under construction. It would have been a much talked about design, imo. Still blows my mind that after all the $$$ spent on a project like that and then ________________________________________________________________________

John Foley

« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2012, 12:11:38 PM »
Back in the late 90's we had The Belfry (designed by Dave Thomas - sister course to the UK one) here in Rochester open for approx 2 weeks - the owner then passed away - the estate couldn't keep in going - was sold to a developer who attempted to bring in Nicklaus Inc to improve the course and build homes, but alas it never worked and now sits abandoned used for a hiking trail & dirt bike paths.

After about a year or two I walked out there and took some pics - I will see if I can find them somewhere.

Here is the original course

Here is how it now stands

Integrity in the moment of choice

John Foley

« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2012, 12:13:15 PM »
There is also the 2nd 18 @ Calusa Pines which was obviusly routed & cleared but never built

Integrity in the moment of choice

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2012, 01:06:06 PM »
Just west of Pinewild there appears to be the outlines of holes of a golf course long since abandoned or long since unbuilt. Anyone know anything about it? A cousin to Overhills?
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tim Leahy

« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2012, 01:26:19 PM »
I can think of two here in Cali, a Palmer project north of Magic Mountain called Los Valles:

http://www.worldgolf.com/newswire/browse/10086-Los-Valles-site-starts-construction-on-Arnold-Palmer-golf-course

and a Nicklaus project in Fresno that had three holes built I think and was supposed to host a PGA event and was almost purchased by Trump, Running Horse:

http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/local&id=6858976

« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 01:39:32 PM by Tim Leahy »
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

john_stiles

« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2012, 02:32:39 PM »
Eric,

Ah,  Rarity Mountain.   Did you enjoy the nice interstate exit ?

A $12 million interstate exit off I-75, appropriately named Rarity Mountain Road, exit #156, as I recall,  was basically built for this golf real estate development.    Developer paid for a very small portion of the early engineering work.  If the interstate work was funded as typically done for interstate work, probably most of the  $12 million was really federal money.

So a special thanks (if most of this was in fact federal interstate money) goes out to all the US members of this here web site !

We needed the money and maybe it will all work out in the end.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 10:37:06 PM by john_stiles »

Lester George

« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2012, 02:48:16 PM »
Natural Bridge, VA.  Lost an incredible golf course and almost lost my left leg, but thats another story.  Still haunts me. 

Lester

Pete Balzer

« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2012, 08:53:35 PM »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back