News:

Welcome to the Golf Club Atlas Discussion Group!

Please note, each user is approved by the Golf Club Atlas editorial staff. For any new inquiries, please contact us and we will be in contact.

Josh Tarble

Two's Company...
« on: June 24, 2012, 08:45:41 PM »
After seeing two recent introduction threads...I hope three isn't a crowd!

I've been visiting the site for quite some time and finally figured it was time to join and start contributing.  I'm from Indianapolis and have had the opportunity to travel a bit so I've been fortunate to see several pretty different courses. 

I'm still forming a lot of my opinions on what good design is...which I'm sure is a life-long process...but the main thing I look in a course is the "fun factor."  I think that can be had in many different types and styles of courses.

Since everyone love's lists, here's my current top 10:

1.  Cape Kidnappers
2.  Whistling Straits - Straits Course
3.  Secession Golf Club
4.  Harbor Town
5.  Jack's Point
6.  Kauri Cliffs
7.  TPC Sawgrass
8.  Porto Cima
9.  Blackwolf Run - River Course
10.  Fripp Island - Ocean Course

Honorable Mentions:
Sagamore Golf Club
Bali Hai
Four Seasons Lake of the Ozarks - Cove Course
Champions Retreat, Augusta

I'm always looking forward to visiting the next one, especially the next trip.

I really look forward to contributing as much as I can and getting to know everyone on board...and of course learning along the way  :)

Jim Jackson

Re: Two's Company...
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 08:57:38 PM »
Welcome, Josh.
Indianapolis is a golf-rich environment - nothing else in the Indy area makes your top 10?

Josh Tarble

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
Jim,
I love a lot of courses here in Indy...I guess my list is also based on overall experience as well. 

In Indy I really like The Fort;  I'm a big fan of Heartland Crossing, I think it's pretty under-rated; Others that I like are Trophy Club, Purgatory and Brickyard Crossing

paul cowley

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 10:08:50 PM »
Welcome aboard Josh!

Interesting your #10...Fripp Is/Ocean Course, as that is one of mine....enjoying good company as well.

First course...130 acres...2M construction...glad you like...eagle 4 yet?

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mark Pritchett

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 10:48:47 PM »
Welcome Josh!

Glad to see Champions Retreat mentioned here as it is really well done. 

I would love to hear more about Jack's Point if you would care to elaborate. 

Joe Bausch

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 10:52:27 PM »
Would you have drafted Luck or Griffin?

Are you now a Broncos fan?
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Nigel Islam

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 12:17:42 AM »
I'm also pretty new here, but as a fellow Hoosier, Welcome.
I live in Evansville, and Luck's the right choice. I just wish #18 was still the QB though.

Tom Culley

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 04:05:33 AM »
Welcome Josh,

I think your list demonstrates that if you are interested in playing a fun track, you can't go far wrong with a Dye design.

TC
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Josh Tarble

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone...

As far as the Colts go, I don't think they could have gone wrong with either one, but listening to Luck's interviews here locally and listening to the coaching staff talking about him, I don't know that you could get much better.  Playing in games may be a different scenario.

Paul,
I just thought the entire experience at Fripp was great.  The course was just a fun course, great routing with some great holes.  #5, #15 and #18 really stand out in my mind as top notch holes.

Mark,
Jack's Point was just incredible.  We went down specifically with Cape Kidnappers and Kauri Cliffs in mind, making a tee time at Jack's Point fairly last minute.  So for one, how good it was was completely unexpected, but the course is just terrific.  The setting is really one of a kind in my opinion, set between the mountains and the lake.  For the courses I've played, the stretch of #2 - #8 are about as good as it gets.  Each shot holds your interest with a huge variety of shot types with so many play options on every hole.

Tim Leahy

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:04 PM »
Any Notre Dame fans ? How about the Notre Dame golf course?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Andy Stamm

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 04:13:56 PM »
From a fellow (some say ex) Hoosier, welcome!

If you haven't made the trip down to play the Ross course at French Lick, I highly recommend it. I prefer it quite a bit to some of the others, like the Fort, which we both like quite a bit. French Lick has a reasonable twilight which is great this time of year. And in the spring and fall they have a tremendous play all day arrangement that makes for a great day. There's a nice restaurant and cracking patio in the clubhouse as  well for some post-golf pleasure.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back