News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Garrison

Couples Golf
« on: June 23, 2012, 09:33:59 AM »
Being from the old school, I've not played much golf with the ladies until the last couple of years. However, I've tried it and found that I enjoy it. That said, I am looking for some good couples tourneys. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on good couples events?
Thanks,
JG

Mike_Young

Re: Couples Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:42:47 AM »
Being from the old school, I've not played much golf with the ladies until the last couple of years. However, I've tried it and found that I enjoy it. That said, I am looking for some good couples tourneys. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on good couples events?
Thanks,
JG
Nope ;)
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Will Spivey

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:05:43 AM »
John,

Good luck with the couples events.  My home club hosts couples' twilights 4 or 5 times a summer and they are always fun events and invariably sold out.  Each event consists of a 9 hole "competition" (low net/low gross/ least putts) followed by cocktails and dinner on the patio.  While some folks take it a bit too seriously it's mostly just "hit and giggle," which is quite fun with good company and a cold G&T.

John Garrison

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 10:24:47 AM »
Thank you. Yes, we've played the "Nine and Dine" events. I'm looking for something more serious for a couple that both have single figure handicaps.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:05:01 AM »
Virtually all of the 600 courses have at least one Mixed Open competition each year, which means you could play one somewhere every Saturday and Sunday from April to September.  Most are foursomes (alternate shot), which is a great test of marital strength.  Of course if you do not live in Scotland, flying over just for a game of golf might be a bit extravagant.  Then again, if you are foolhardy, check out the link below.....

http://www.askernishgolfclub.com/files/Askernish%20Open%20Weekend%20Entry%20Form%202012.pdf
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tom Culley

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 12:36:49 PM »
I've played in several mixed greensomes tournaments at my home club over the years, and never really enjoyed it. Mixed Gruesomes i now call it   ;)
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 02:23:14 PM »
If what your club does doesn't interest you then why don't you start something more serious? Of course, you'll have to run it yourself. Matches against other clubs, mixed foursomes knock-out tournament, mixed foursomes stroke-play tournament. Presumably there are regional tournaments, county tournaments, state tournaments, and national tournaments. If there aren't then get them started. At our club we have a number of mixed exchanges with other clubs each year. We play some serious courses. Some of our mixed matches are against some of the best clubs in the area, such as Royal Liverpool, Royal Birkdale, Formby.... If it doesn't exist, make it exist.

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 05:32:22 PM »
You can always play the Pebble Beach Mixed Team Championship.   A round at Pebble, Spyglass and Spanish Bay plus accomodations at The Inn at Spanish Bay for $1650 per player. 

Ken Moum

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 05:50:16 PM »
Thanks,
JG

Move to South Dakota...  http://sdga.org/championships/38th/husband--wife-championship

My wife and I got married 18 years ago this month.... so we could play in it.  Never finished higher than 6th, however.

For some reason, the state still has a ton of events for couples.  You can see them in this list. http://www.sdga.org/tournaments

It's one of the greatest regrets I have in moving to Kansas.  We played in 8-10 of those events a year, and both of us love the competition.  Sadly, if there is a couples event, it's a scramble, which both of us detest.

Our favorite format is foursomes, but getting anyone to play that around here is completely impossible.

K
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

JC Jones

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 09:26:07 AM »
John,

Good luck with the couples events.  My home club hosts couples' twilights 4 or 5 times a summer and they are always fun events and invariably sold out.  Each event consists of a 9 hole "competition" (low net/low gross/ least putts) followed by cocktails and dinner on the patio.  While some folks take it a bit too seriously it's mostly just "hit and giggle," which is quite fun with good company and a cold G&T.

Will,

Your club has cold G&T's?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 09:31:07 AM »
This is a new low for gca.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
Rich,

Your comment on mixed, alternate shot foursomes in Scotland, as being a great test of marital strength, brought to mind a wonderful, zany day at Brora my gal Mairi and I spent playing that format together. The weather was very rugged that day, and we zipped up from Dornoch and barely made our tee time. After butchering the first three holes with a bogie and two team doubles, the two of us settled down and played fine golf, finishing +6 for the day and just missing out on a prize by one stroke!

What I will always remember was hitting a great, little knock-down nine iron into the wind to about 2 feet on " Snakey," that lovely little par three on the back nine, and watching her miss the birdie putt. We had been going along really well and I was not happy. Despite that, the sky cleared, the sun came out brightly as we left the green, and the other couple was kind enough to take a picture of us by the stream...it remains the best picture of the two of us we have ever had taken !

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back