News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

US Open plans for Merion
« on: June 21, 2012, 11:21:14 AM »
Because there aren't enough Merion threads...

Golfweek has an article on the USGA's plans for Merion. In sum:

COURSE
*   Fairways between 22 and 24 yards wide
*   Rough at approximately 3" inches
*   Speedy greens (as if it needs to be said)
*   "There will be nothing tricky. But it all depends on the weather."

SITE/SPECTATORS
*   Few smaller merchandise tents, rather than one large tent
*   Strategically placed grandstands are expected to help crowd flow
*   Remote satellite parking and hospitality tents are also part of the plan
*   Grounds tickets for Friday, Saturday and Sunday have sold out; opening round expected to sell out soon

http://golfweek.com/news/2012/jun/20/merion-stretch-run-prepping-2013-us-open/

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Bill Shotzbarger

Re: US Open plans for Merion
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:58:17 AM »
Does anyone know what they are doing re: split tees? I know they went off 9 at Olympic....10 tee at merion is fairly inaccessible from ardmore avenue, no? I've only played there once...I assume they'll be going off of 11?

Rich Goodale

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
Does anyone know what they are doing re: split tees? I know they went off 9 at Olympic....10 tee at merion is fairly inaccessible from ardmore avenue, no? I've only played there once...I assume they'll be going off of 11?

My inside dope is that (a la Ty Webb--"I have a pool and a pond, you can swim in the pond") the plebian qualifiers (e.g. Sectionals, Japanese or European tours, etc.) will play holes 1-12 (the HH Barker "loop") three times over the first two days whilst the elite players will play 13-18 (i.e. the non-Whigham/Macdonald holes) four times.  Saturday and Sunday will remain as per usual.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Bill Shamleffer

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 01:02:37 PM »

Since Merion West will be used for the practice area, and they will already have to transport the players to the course, there may not be any advantage using a tee other than #10 for the alternate tee on Thurs. & Friday.

I believe I also read that the locker facilities will also be located at Merion West.  Does anyone know how this is going to work?
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Jim Franklin

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 01:11:00 PM »

Since Merion West will be used for the practice area, and they will already have to transport the players to the course, there may not be any advantage using a tee other than #10 for the alternate tee on Thurs. & Friday.

I believe I also read that the locker facilities will also be located at Merion West.  Does anyone know how this is going to work?

As I said in one of the other Merion threads, they will be using the 10th tee. Players will be transported from the West practice area, through the neighborhoods and to the 10th tee. The entire area bought into this event and will make it easier to handle the crowds and other challenges that the tight area present.
Mr Hurricane

Terry Lavin

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 01:26:44 PM »

Even the King of the Links should be capable of restraining himself on this topic.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Matt Dupre

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 06:40:07 PM »
Bill -

There are no locker facilities at the West course - just a log cabin with a bar, fireplace and room for a few tables (pretty much perfect, in other words...).

I'm sure the players will be perfectly happy with the men's locker room - but transporting them from there to the West and back, or to 10 tee via Golfview Road, is going to be interesting.

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
SITE/SPECTATORS
*   Few smaller merchandise tents, rather than one large tent

- So they have 3 20,000sf tents instead of 1 45,000sf tent.....hmmm
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Howard Riefs

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »

Even the King of the Links should be capable of restraining himself on this topic.

There are currently four "Merion" threads on page 1.  And the tournament is still 51 weeks away.  Just wait..
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 07:36:13 PM »
I put this out there every year or so, partly because I think it is very educational and partly because I put many hours into it.   ;D

http://xchem.villanova.edu/~bausch/images/golf/merionweb/merion_web.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Howard Riefs

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:39:45 AM »
And a few more details from the Morning Call...

COURSE
*   Several short par 4s
*   Four par 4s that measure 490 yards or longer
*   One of the two par 5s will stretch longer than 600 yards, and both par 5s will be among the first four holes
*   "We've narrowed some of the fairways, moved some bunkers and lengthened the course," Ill said. "We'll be tweaking the course between now and next year, but it's essentially ready."

LOCKER ROOM/PRACTICE FACILITIES
*   Players' locker rooms and practice facilities will be located on the West Course, with shuttles running the mile in between.

SITE/SPECTATORS
*   Grandstands to accommodate 17,000 fans, hoping people fill those seats to alleviate course crowding
*   Merchandise, concessions and restrooms will be located on the course's perimeter
*   Off-site properties such as neighboring Haverford College agreed to host the hospitality tents
*   Bridges will be constructed from Haverford to the championship site
*   "Corporate tents will take over some grounds of the posh neighborhood."  

NEIGHBORHOOD
*   Residents who live on Golf House Road adjacent to the course are giving up their lawns to the championship

http://articles.mcall.com/2012-06-18/sports/mc-usopen-merion-0618-20120618_1_usga-merion-golf-club-hospitality
« Last Edit: June 22, 2012, 05:32:54 PM by Howard Riefs »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 09:43:55 AM »
I think that parking will be out at Fairmount Park.

Howard  - are you sure locker rooms will be at the West Course?  They would need to be temporary facilities, because the Adirondack-style lodge is all that's out there.

K. Krahenbuhl

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 09:46:18 AM »

Howard  - are you sure locker rooms will be at the West Course?  They would need to be temporary facilities, because the Adirondack-style lodge is all that's out there.

I'm sure that they will just set up temporary trailers as locker rooms.  These can be much nicer than they sound.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 10:15:24 AM »

I'm sure that they will just set up temporary trailers as locker rooms.  These can be much nicer than they sound.

That's the likely case. Will probably see the same in Kiawah at the PGA Championship in August as there's not much room for the players' lockers in the clubhouse.

BVince

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 05:26:41 PM »
Will 3" rough be enough?  Will they be attempting to achieve par for the 72 hole winning score?  Will 3" rough on a shorter course be sufficient in achieving this objective?
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 07:32:19 AM »

They have a monster 2 story facility for the players they erect. It is as posh as just about anything you could find at a fixed structure. That will be no problem at all. The shuttle system might get taxed a bit, though the Merion folks know how to run something in an efficient, first-class manner. They'll nail it...we just need mother nature to cooperate!

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back