News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Culley

Gill Hanse Interview
« on: June 23, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »
There is a new Gill Hanse interview on the R & A website for those of you who are interested.

http://www.randa.org/en/TheGolfCourse/The-golf-course/Features/Features/2012/June/Gil-Hanse.aspx
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Michael Goldstein

Re: Gill Hanse Interview
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2012, 10:48:20 PM »
Tom,

Thanks for posting the thread. 

Equally interesting as the interview is that the lack of response here.

I hope you and your family are enjoying the summer.

MG
@Pure_Golf

JC Urbina

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2012, 11:00:23 PM »
MG

I also enjoyed the interview.

It is not surprising to me.

Niall Hay

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 11:22:29 PM »
Completely agree Michael. Thought it was a great interview with excellent question and was also surprised by the lack of response. Do the R&A do many interviews like that? Who was doing it for them? Enjoyed it immensely. Thanks!

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 02:59:43 AM »
Gil Hanse say's the right things.

I particularly liked the George Thomas philosophical quote "... a golf course within a golf course..."

The grass choice will be an interesting one.
I can't imagine using Zoysia or Paspalum for the narrowed down championship rough areas. Won't it be like velcrow?

Surely it must be better to keep the grass short over the 65m fairway width and use  angles to the green, hazards and undulations as "penance".

Preferred landing areas and corridors can be "hidden" into the wide fairways as he did at Castle Stuart.

If there's wind on the site and it's dry then it will be difficult enough.
Watching the pros hack it out the rough isn't interesting viewing!!!

Tom Culley

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 03:15:14 AM »
Michael,

I thought i might find you on here! Everything is good in Ivinghoe, I'm just waiting for my parents to let me loose on the design!

I was very surprised by the lack of response to this thread, so just assumed that it had been posted before. Turns out it had not.

TC

"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 11:01:28 AM »
I read it a couple of days ago and thought it was well done but didn´t further commment because most of the content is pretty much what I have already heard. Nobody seems to be worried about the land suit but if its really nothing to worry about, as one side claims, than Gill would have been paid and is moving forward with the design and I have no idea if that is true or not. Even if there is a legitamate suit I don´t see how they could not pay him with all he invested to date, to be awarded the contract. Anyways, I hope they can started in October like planned.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 12:20:04 PM »
I thought that was a very good interview and there are some good nuggets of information in there. I think it will be cool to see the course "brown and crispy" as he says.

Jackson C

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 01:03:38 PM »
"My family will move down with me to Rio. We’re committed to being on site for at least 3- 3˝ weeks a month. We might come back to the States for 4-5 days a month to deal with other projects but we will basically be in Brazil from the start to the finish of the project."

This stood out to me.  Mr. Hanse is one committed architect.
"The secrets that golf reveals to the game's best are secrets those players must discover for themselves."
Christy O'Connor, Sr. (1998)

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 03:00:31 PM »
"My family will move down with me to Rio. We’re committed to being on site for at least 3- 3˝ weeks a month. We might come back to the States for 4-5 days a month to deal with other projects but we will basically be in Brazil from the start to the finish of the project."

This stood out to me.  Mr. Hanse is one committed architect.

My understanding is that it was an important factor for the decision of the architect selection.  Difficult for the other finalists to make the same commitment given their ongoing projects around the world.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back