News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Touring Scotland with a First Timer!
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2012, 07:00:56 PM »
Isn't drinking Scotch with Marty a must for a first timer?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2012, 07:43:33 PM »
Isn't drinking Scotch with Marty a must for a first timer?

I hope so!
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2012, 07:46:21 PM »
Take a day to visit the Fringe Festival in Edinburgh, there's nearly 3000 different shows in August and too many performances to count. It really is an amazing experience to see some great comedy, illusions, magic and far out performances.

Mark - I think a visit to the Tattoo might be in order, but the Fringe... where do you start to decide what to see. I think we will have one night, maybe two in Edinburgh. The Fringe deserves much more of a commitment I think.
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2012, 07:48:14 PM »
My father and I had a phenomenal dinner at The Peat Inn in the summer of 2008 when we were there. I recall it being about 40 minutes from St. Andrews.

http://www.thepeatinn.co.uk/dining/index.htm

My friend is a "foodie," so a visit to The Peat is a wonderful idea!

Brad Wilbur

« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2012, 08:38:42 PM »
Aslar Guest House in St Andrews is a great place to stay. Owner is a golfer, and the breakfasts are perfect. 

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2012, 10:24:44 PM »
Aslar Guest House in St Andrews is a great place to stay. Owner is a golfer, and the breakfasts are perfect. 

Good call! I've stayed there before. Great place.

James Bennett

« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2012, 10:33:23 PM »
The Fringe deserves much more of a commitment I think.

Michael

Adelaide has a 'Fringe' which is similar.  We really enjoy it.  The hardest thing is choosing what to see.  Just understand that they are great, alternate artistic events.  It is quite different to a traditional Arts festival - far less suits and much more 'relaxed' in clothing.

The commentary on Scotland so far has all the right golf elements, including possible side visits with Goodale, Bonnar, Pearce and co.  And all the right visits to East Lothian and Fife that the day of the week allow.  How about some elements with a little less golf?

Perhaps seeing St Andrews and The Old Course on a Sunday summers night, when it is a park accessable by the towns folk.
Perhaps seeing some of the highlands.  Some of my favourite memories are the rocky mountains and lochs  north-west of glasgow, and across to Inverness.
Perhaps a distillery or two.  I recall literally stumbling across GlenLivet and Boat of Garten - a lovely visit.
And, a bit of artistic culture through the Fringe.  Might not be Scottish, but it will be memorable (Bill McBride - what was that play that was on in St Andrews 5 years ago - was it fawlty towers?)

enjoy the trip and the golf Michael.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2012, 11:06:24 PM »
James - my wife was a drama teacher for 30 years and now has an audience research company for the London theatre industry... I know the Fringe very well!!!  8)

I don't think we will realistically have time to venture into the Highlands while my friend is with me. I plan to head that way once he has returned to the States. I hope we are able to meet up with Goodale, Bonner and Pearce as it would greatly enhance my friend's experience... I've only got so many stories to tell and I'm afraid he's already heard most of them.  ;D

James Bennett

« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2012, 04:44:13 AM »
I've only got so many stories to tell and I'm afraid he's already heard most of them.  ;D

Ah, Michael, just wait a few years and those stories will be all new again.  If you can remember them.  :)
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Joe Fairey

« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2012, 09:18:09 PM »
Good ole Mike.....I always take my first time visitors to the 4th floor bar of the Old Course Hotel for a drink....
the 'feel' is obviously much different than that of Dunvegan and Jigger Inn.....but the view of TOC and St Andrews
is 'off the chart'.....well worth a visit....see you next week partner.....

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2012, 10:28:18 PM »
Non golf
If you hit the west coast and Ayr, also the bridge over the River Doon (Brigadoon). Prestwick shouldn't be missed.
If he liked The DaVinci Code, Rosslyn Chapel is near North Berwick
Glamis Castle north of Carnoustie
Head north a bit and find a distillery.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back