News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

How would you define the game of golf….
« on: June 21, 2012, 10:55:24 AM »

in the sum of all its parts?

There have been studies that have dismissed integral parts of the game to that of having little if any affect upon the game. Their premise, I suspect is that the golfers just need to concentrate upon his game, by that I believe it to mean sinking the ball in each of the 18 Holes in the least number of strokes.

This certainly seems to be the new ideas of the early to mid 20thCentury, but by putting all the emphasize on the score. The idea it would appear (to this individual) is to concentrate wholly upon score. However golf is surely more than the sum of all its parts, while a good score is most welcome is it the sole reason for playing the game in the first place. I think not because I have been lead to believe that Golf was a Walking Thinking game that required the golfer to face the challenge (whatever that challenge may be to each individual golfer) from both Mother Nature and from the Hand (or Mind) of Man.

The challenge start, but not with carrying ones clubs but by facing each and every Hole with an open mind and body ready to commit to each and every task until the job in done. That takes into account trying to read the course, feel the movement through both legs and eyes as you navigate the course in pursuit of sinking that ball in each of the 18 Holes in the least number of strokes.  The golfer working with all the sum of his parts to achieve that ultimate goal.

A course is very rarely defeated by the golfer at best he works with it for a while by understanding the eyes of the designer and the GCA. Nevertheless,  a heavy lunch, a little too much refreshment, general fatigue be it from the office, family,  wind, rain, a previous round or the inability to read the course due to the weather and the sunlight upon the contours of the course. All have claim to the make-up of a good, poor or indifferent round.

This is what for me constitutes golf, the combination of Man his mind and body working with the environment and course to achieve the enjoyment of bring together the sum of all the parts that has gone to make golf the game that was exported around the world.

I fear we have lost sight of the game  - golf is after all a game but today the game is picked at as if by the cult of Anorexia leaving all the wholesome parts  in the pursuit of perfection  - well in the eyes of the Golfing Anorexia fraternity that is. To try and compensate in the drive for achieving their dreams the golfing Anorexia’s  have turned to distance aids, perhaps due to their weaken condition  and no longer have to ability to define distance by a simple glance or two.

The Game has been streamlined, the only commitment is to themselves to achieve their goals with whatever aid they can get their hands and backside upon.  At a stroke the honesty of the game is left in the muddy tire tracks of a cart, stripped bare by the information gained from outside sources, yet these people feel no guilt in worshiping at the altar of outside aids and caring little for the once great game called golf.

So is golf to be taken seriously, are golfers going to play golf using their God given skills or are we going to get a real definition of what the game of golf actually means let alone represents from our governing body - a finally clarification of the matter. No I expect not.

So I turn to you, is golf just about scoring or is its quality as a game greater than the combination of all the sum of its parts.

Any thoughts – what your definition of the game of Golf? 

PCCraig

Re: How would you define the game of golf….
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
Golf is a game and is only as serious as the player wants it to be.

Why the discussion board needs to be subjected to one more mindless rant against "distance aids" and carts is beyond me. I think I speak for most here in saying we get it. I suggest that your energy would be better spent towards people who actually ride in carts: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/676432-cart-bag-poll/

H.P.S.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »
Golf is a game and is only as serious as the player wants it to be.

Why the discussion board needs to be subjected to one more mindless rant against "distance aids" and carts is beyond me. I think I speak for most here in saying we get it. I suggest that your energy would be better spent towards people who actually ride in carts: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/676432-cart-bag-poll/

From the link...

"(Need a) bag with plenty of storage.  I have two pockets still empty and I carry a LOT of crap. Cooler pocket holds 6 bottles of water and 2 gatorades.  But you could probably put a sixer in there easy."

No wonder they drive a cart.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 11:30:06 AM »
MM,

A short reply as I'm headed off into the Catskills for a round:  Golf has made its way through many different cultures over the past several hundred years and during that time the playing fields and the equipment have changed. There are players who are fastidious in their pursuit of a more 'pure' game and there are the footloose who load up their motorized carts with beer and other sundries for a 'game' of what has been  facetiously desribed as 'cartball'.

For my part, I don't really care what game people play, be it pure or impure. I limit myself to encouraging them to find out more about the history of the game, use their eyes and their heads first -  then check it out mechanically if they must, feel the course under their shoes once in a while (if they can), and walk away refreshed from their time spent on the course.

The only effective way to make a lasting change is by employing a grassroots philosophy, which is a perfect match for golf. We all crept along to where we are today and we aren't running back to where we were. Anyone who believes that forcing an ideology on people is an effective means of education only needs to look around the cultural sphere to see how foolish a notion that is.

Messages only have value if folks listen to them.
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom_Doak

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »
It's interesting that most people would identify me as a purist regarding golf and golf courses -- and in many respects I am -- yet, I find myself constantly disagreeing with some other purists who think that golf is all about the competitive game, or at least about posting your score. 

I feel that the purpose of golf [like the purpose of life] is to be happy, and that however it makes you happy is good enough for me -- even though I feel sad for the people for whom happiness includes a cart or a rangefinder. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 12:17:45 PM »
Melyvn,

This is your easiest question yet, its simple.

Get the ball in the hole with as few strokes as possible. 

All the rest is just background noise.  ;)

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »

Some of you not only do not get it but worst still have no idea what is being presented.

Here is a famous saying  ‘It’s a whole new ball game’ that is being played today and it also does require variations to the conventional GCA.

The modern game does not  play to the sum of all its parts, but relies on outside aids so is in fact a very blinkered game requiring the player to just focus on one or two items instead of a variety of information from one’s own sense .

It is no rant about carts or aids but an honest approach to understand why many play the modern game. Perhaps it is this very limited focus that actually makes such an impact to guys who take up Hickory for the first time. That of again the player having the thrill of deciding his game for himself from club selection, to route, to actually looking and seeing the golf course, no longer constrained by outside aids.

Pat, No I do not think you got it, nevertheless I still do not understand why you even bothered posting. 

Those who think the score is the definition of golf, then you have certainly lost something in the translation. 

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 01:21:19 PM »

Some of you not only do not get it but worst still have no idea what is being presented.

Here is a famous saying  ‘It’s a whole new ball game’ that is being played today and it also does require variations to the conventional GCA.

The modern game does not  play to the sum of all its parts, but relies on outside aids so is in fact a very blinkered game requiring the player to just focus on one or two items instead of a variety of information from one’s own sense .

It is no rant about carts or aids but an honest approach to understand why many play the modern game. Perhaps it is this very limited focus that actually makes such an impact to guys who take up Hickory for the first time. That of again the player having the thrill of deciding his game for himself from club selection, to route, to actually looking and seeing the golf course, no longer constrained by outside aids.

Pat, No I do not think you got it, nevertheless I still do not understand why you even bothered posting. 

Those who think the score is the definition of golf, then you have certainly lost something in the translation. 

Great, thanks. Anything new to add? Or is this just your monthly cry for attention? How many more posts until the victim card is pulled?

Maybe you could add to this thread at GolfWrx: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/660828-golf-cart-best-b-day-gift-from-my-wife/
H.P.S.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 01:28:19 PM »
Nicely worded sentiments from Jim and Tom. I think ideology-free golf finds its expression in certain kinds of golf courses; and, precisely because there is a lack of ideology, what these kind of courses have in common is that they are all different!

It strikes me that this may be at the core of the objections to the USGA's set-ups at US Opens, i.e. the USGA is overlaying an ideology (theirs) over a golf courses' inherent nature/design, and often laying on that ideeology so thickly that the inherent architecture is essentially obliterated.

It makes one ask: why go to Merion (or Olympic etc) if you don't want Merion?; but alas, that is the single-mindedness and near-brutality of all ideologies.

Peter
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:54:25 PM by PPallotta »

BHoover

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:29:55 PM »
To me, golf is about being able to enjoy a day outdoors and experience the challenge presented by the conditions (wind, firmness of the turf, etc.).  It's also about experiencing a degree of competition amongst friends.  To me, the game is best enjoyed walking, but I accept the fact that many golfers want to use a cart.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:31:18 PM »
Melvyn,

Have you ever explained exactly why you no longer play golf?  Could you tell us what you miss and why you don't think using modern aids for the handicapped are worth discovering what you may be missing?  

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 01:42:41 PM »

Pat How is your wife? Well I trust.

John, as I said its a whole new ball game, and i took up golf when it was only walking and using your eyes to play. Why do I want to piss on a great game and or take the 5th in Golf.  Why dull a great game. What we want we at times just cannot have, that's life get over it or suffer. Why suffer and play a game full of outside help, its nothing like the game I have played since a young lad. I thought you might understand, its a question of keeping the faith, but it appears not.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 01:52:19 PM »

Pat How is your wife? Well I trust.

John, as I said its a whole new ball game, and i took up golf when it was only walking and using your eyes to play. Why do I want to piss on a great game and or take the 5th in Golf.  Why dull a great game. What we want we at times just cannot have, that's life get over it or suffer. Why suffer and play a game full of outside help, its nothing like the game I have played since a young lad. I thought you might understand, its a question of keeping the faith, but it appears not.

Melvyn,

I'm sorry but I don't understand.  Personally I believe that you are afraid of enjoying yourself.  Now that I understand.

PCCraig

H.P.S.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2012, 02:33:08 PM »
Melvyn, I'm not sure I want to define the game of golf, but I will tell why I play. 
I love getting to the club early in the cool of morning and walking on dew laden fairways alone with my thoughts.  I enjoy the sound of the golf ball jumping off my club face and watching it disappear in the mist.
I enjoy walking to the first tee to meet my best friend and carry my bag as we begin our 18 hole odyssey.
I love finding my ball in an impossible situation near the green and thinking of a shot I've never hit before and getting up and down.
I enjoy visiting my son in Minnesota and playing his course while we poke fun at each other's lack of skill and then getting beat by him.
I enjoy playing with my wife as the sun moves lower in the sky and the shadows show the ripples in the fairway the sun streaming through the trees.
I enjoy hitting a drive exactly as I envisioned it and then sticking a five iron ten feet from the pin.
I enjoy the different canvases upon which we paint our scores--tree line parkland courses with streams meandering throughout the property, courses built on old treeless farms with ground that rolls gently, I enjoy courses in the mountains that stretch the imagination and fill my soul with awe, I enjoy links courses that test my game on firm ground and wind so strong that your hat keeps flying off.

There are hundreds of reasons to play.  I am sorry for those who can't find them.  It is a great game that challenges anyone to dare to get better but is enjoyable even when our scores are high for it in a very real way mirrors the challenges of life.  Those who have the courage to persevere will find great joy.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tom Culley

« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2012, 02:44:09 PM »
I enjoy golf because of the stories it creates.
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2012, 04:25:51 PM »

John

I do enjoy myself, hell it’s one of the reasons why I am on GCA.com. it can be great fun.

I may be able to play again or even walk a full 18 Hole course , we will just have to wait and see, but there is no way that I will spoil my game for cheap thrills or playing a game devoid of commitment .

Man, just where are your standards, let alone honour, no I do not want to play using a cart or distance aids, Christ why would I want to strip the heart and soul out of the game by doing so.

It may be different if I played and enjoyed Cartball, but I do not, it’s a semi mindless way of playing a variation of that great game called golf. Add other outside aids and tell me what is the point, where is the test, the challenge and ultimately the enjoyment.

You are proud of your country, well my family have been playing golf longer than your country has been in existence and it makes me proud to continue playing the game in the traditional way of walking and thinking.

The aids make it a whole new ball game and it is not for me.

PCCraig

« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2012, 05:01:09 PM »
I didn't know Melvyn started a band!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2glRceeUND0
H.P.S.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2012, 05:41:08 PM »
Melyvn,

We're talking about playing a game of gawf...not cheating on your wife or selling your 1st born into slavery...

Its just a game .. chilllax already dude ;D

Tom Culley

« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2012, 05:49:01 PM »
Melvyn,

You talk about 'outside aids' and how you feel that they have changed the game for the worse, but isn't golf a game based around the use of outside aids (clubs, balls)? Surely distance measuring devices and carts are simply a modern addition to golf equipment, and for some are equally as necessary as the right set of clubs?
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 06:02:24 PM »

Kalen

This is the problem, you just to not understand the depth of feeling or family history that is rather important to some of us over here.

To you it’s just a game, to be bastardised or played in the way you want but to some of us it’s a way of life, its dominated our families and their lives for more than two centuries.  It’s actually important to some of us to the point of playing it the traditional way. Old Toms home was not just his, it was my grandmothers and my fathers, its etched into our lives and even our thoughts, its not just a game its intertwined with our lives.

However I do not expect you to fully understand, but then why should you.

Tom

We can take your argument to the beginning of the game, but the basic tools are not aids they are tools, whereas carts, distance measurements are alternative aids to replace the use of our bodies. We need a ball, we need to walk, but we do not need carts or measuring devices to replace our own legs and eyes. It is also takes a bit of common sense too.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 06:26:08 PM »
Melyvn,

You must admit that its highly ironic that something that is so dear to you is something of which you no longer participate. If it really is a "way of life", then I'm surprised to see you still roaming the earth...perhaps the sandy St. Andrews soil is yet calling.

Adam Makepeace

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 07:15:38 PM »
Melvyn,

Golf is an opportunity for those that enjoy the challenge of the game, the environment in which it is played, and the people in which we play it with.

Your definition of the game is fine, even honourable.

The trouble is, the game for many has moved on. There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. Everything evolves at one point or another. The world has moved on. We live at a faster pace. We opt for convenience at every turn. Where technology makes things easier, we take advantage. It is what it is, and there is no going back. 

You, your family, and many others who feel the same way you do are free to play the game the way in which you choose. Instead of focusing your thoughts and words on others and how they choose to play the game, why not simply enjoy the game the way you wish to. That is something that you can control.

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 07:42:51 PM »
Melvyn:

I would never want to actually try to define golf, although I sure have heard a lot of golfers try to define it. When they do I generally just tune out. I'm probably quite different than most with golf because I played 40+ tournaments a year and very little recreational golf, at least not after my beginning. I practiced every day and then would go out and play alone 5 or 9 holes or more in the evening. That's the way I practiced for over 25 years.

I loved my years in tournament golf but what I loved the most was playing alone---and I'm not in the slightest anti-social---I just loved playing alone. I did it so much and generally I'd just drive my car out on the course somewhere-----and after a while the membership began to refer to me affectionately as "The Ghost of Gulph Mills." It's hard to describe the feeling; it's ineffable I guess---just me and the golf course---just the golf course and me. And in the summer around here when it gets hot you can expect a thunderstorm towards the end of the day. Sometimes they could come up in minutes and I would get caught out. To me that was actually sort of the ultimate. If I couldn't make it to shelter I would just dump my clubs and take off my shoes and any metal and jump in the bottom of a bunker until it passed. Then I would get up all wet and play back to the car. Talk about atonement with Nature. It's sort of primal.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:52:51 PM by TEPaul »

Carl Rogers

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2012, 08:41:51 PM »
the iceberg that is the game.....
one element that appealed to me along time ago was that it is the antithesis of many elements of the instant gratification society.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back