News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Flooding in Duluth, MN - Northland video
« on: June 20, 2012, 06:42:26 PM »
Duluth has gone through some very rough conditions due to flooding. 

Chris Tritibaugh's blog gives an update on its impact on Northland

http://northlandgrounds.blogspot.com/2012/06/course-assessment-at-this-time.html

Tom Ferrell

Re: Flooding in Duluth, MN - Northland video
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 06:54:38 PM »
Great maintenance blog!  Good luck to all at Northland and all affected in the region.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 06:58:06 PM »
Member-guest starts Friday. I am making alternate plans.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:14:20 PM »
A great course and a great crew

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 11:19:11 PM »
Yikes!

I'm supposed to be playing there in late-July...hope they can get things cleaned up and that this horrible weather passes through soon!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 13.2. Have 26 & 23 year old girls and wife of 29 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Brad Klein

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 03:24:08 AM »
Chris Tritibaugh -- good luck up there. Had not realized the extent of the damage until seeing your posts.

Northland is a Ross gem overlooking Lake Superior. The jobs Chris does in maintaining it, working with Ron Prichard in restoring it, and communicating about it to members and to the wider agronomic community of colleagues -- all are at the forefront of the industry.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 09:06:54 PM by Brad Klein »

PCCraig

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 08:36:32 AM »
I've been following Chris's updates over the past 24 hours as Duluth recovered from a 100 year flood. There is a reason the saying goes "hell or high water." Best of luck to Chris and his team in cleaning up the mess and getting everything back to normal soon.
H.P.S.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 09:21:58 AM »
I loved Northland when I played it. It was brown, firm, fast, and mostly FUN. I can't imagine all that water. Good luck getting the course back in firm shape. it is a treat to play.
Mr Hurricane

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 11:37:14 AM »
Chris Tritibaugh -- good luck up there. Had not realized the extent of the damage until seeing your posts.

Northland is a Ross gem overlooking Lake Superior. The jobs Chris does in maintaining it, working with Rom Prichard in restoring it, and communicating about it to members and to the wider agronomic community of colleagues -- all are at the forefront of the industry.

Like.
jeffmingay.com

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2012, 12:25:21 AM »
This weekend's member-guest is on. I'll report back on what I find, but I'm told the integrity of the golf course has not been compromised. There's just a lot of debris and some damaged bridges and cart paths. This is what was left behind when a five-foot-wide stream overflowed its banks:

"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2012, 08:09:20 AM »
Wow. Good luck with the member guest.
Mr Hurricane

Chris Tritabaugh

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
Thanks all for the kind words. Brad, wonderful words, I cannot thank you enough.

Northland was very fortunate, not all of Duluth was so lucky. The blessing and curse of our geography is that 9.5" of rain in 24 hours created an incredible amount of power as the water ran down the hills but 24 hours later most of the water was in Lake Superior. We aren't facing days and weeks under water. The photo Rick posted shows the power of the water. The material deposited here is hundreds of yards and it washed miles downstream, someone is missing a lot of rock above us and a lot of our's was probably deposited in Lake Superior.

Rick is right, the integrity of the golf course is intact. The creek, which was restored in 2000 or so took the entire brunt of the storm. It will need some significant work as the summer goes on. The rest of the course was good enough that we actually did some mowing yesterday and mowed all of the course today. Not bad for a 100 year storm event.   

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:00 PM »
Rick -

I love the look of the white bridges that were in one of the photos in the Northland chapter of your book.

Were those bridges there when you played Northland as a youngster?

You said those bridges were removed in the 70s. I wonder if they were trashed in a big storm such as the one Duluth experienced last week.

Hope the tournament is going well for you and Northland...

Tom Fagerli

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 05:58:15 PM »
Morgan- I can't recall if the white bridges did get trashed in 1972(I don't think so) but we had a huge storm/flood in 1972-not as bad as this one was.the 1972 storm was a three day event that closed the courses for days. Duluth suffers some crazy weather. Number one reason I fled! You can't imagine the way water roars towards the lake. Beautifully frightening.

Chris Tritabaugh

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 09:48:28 AM »
Posted a number of photos and videos of the storm this morning on the blog. The water running through the course was truly astonishing. Tom is right, that much water flowing down the hills of Duluth is powerful beyond belief.

Yesterday I tallied up the rainfall since April 1st; 25 inches! Average for that time in Duluth is 7.5"! Needless to say fast and firm has yet to take up residence at Northland in 2012. Hopefully soon.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2012, 02:20:53 PM »
I was privileged to play at Northland over the weekend, and though the destruction of the ponds and creek beds was astonishing to see, and the residual cleanup challenges will be monumental, the course was not just playable but in fantastic condition. It's a shame Northland has received so much rain this spring, but if anything it has left the grass on the fairways and greens in the best condition I've ever seen it. When the golf course finally dries out, it could well be the ultimate in fast, firm and fun. In years past, heavy rains would have left the course spongy in many spots. Those days are gone; the playing corridors take the rain beautifully. Even though it rained most of the day Saturday -- following the torrential downpours earlier in the week -- it hardly affected the quality of play.

You'd really have to see the creek bed that runs across the 16th fairway and between the 17th tee and green to believe the force of the water that rushed through the course. There were boulders the size of carry-on bags strewn along the banks of the creek; Chris told me he could hear them colliding with each other while he monitored the worst of the flooding. The banks of the creek have been widened considerably, with tree limbs, foot bridges, mud and debris spread about 80 yards wide around the original path of the creek. The pond on #11 doesn't exist any more; a retaining wall will have to be rebuilt to fill it up again. The cleanup will take a huge, summer-long effort.

(A note to Morgan about those old bridges: I don't believe storms had anything to do with their removal. They were simply old and weathered, and I think the advent of golf carts probably had more to do with their passing into history. Almost all of the new, smaller wooden footbridges that forded the creeks were swept away or dislodged during the floods, but the relatively new stone bridges were not damaged, as far as I could see.)

Northland will never look exactly like it did before; the water changed its route through the course in several places. But the essential nature of the course is unchanged, and a case can be made that, when the cleanup work is done, the facelift is going to be seen as  an historically fascinating chapter for a grand and unique golf course.     

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back