News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

Re: Victoria National on Golf Channel
« Reply #50 on: July 02, 2012, 12:22:25 AM »
Interesting results on #18 as well. Lingmerth's tee shot on the 4th playoff hole seemed remarkably similar to Tomasulo's on the last hole of regulation, yet Tomasulo re-teed entirely and Lingmerth's caddie convinces everyone that the ball somehow not only crossed land but crossed a part of the fairway. The announcers tried to be politically correct about it, but you could tell they wanted to say "no way" that it crossed there. Glad to see that it didn't matter.

I would guess Victoria National is definitely one of the better venues this tour plays. Pete Dye GC is another if they still play there.

Andy, I've followed the Web.com a little for the past few seasons and they do get to see some very good courses.  Black Creek near Chattenooga has been a stop for several years.  Of course, I'm sure they have some forgettable venues.

At their place in their careers, I'm sure they really don't care.  The checks cash and if you do well enough you get the pass to the big Tour.  It really doesn't matter if you like a course or not when your job is to go low.

Just a sampling of courses they will play either this year or have seen recently in the past:

Ohio St. - Scarlet
Champions Run (by Jeff Brauer)
TPC - Valley (next to TPC - Stadium)
Black Creek
Pete Dye GC

Their Tour Championship will be played at TPC-Craig Ranch this year after three years at Daniel Island.  Before that it was at Barona Creek.  If I recall, they went to a few destinations on the RTJ Trail before that. 

Andy Troeger

« Reply #51 on: July 02, 2012, 09:24:38 AM »
John,
I'm sure you're probably right about those players not worry much about the courses they see. I think the same goes for all the pro tours, with the exception of a few architecture enthusiasts like Ogilvy. The rest of them are more interested in how the courses fit their games than whether the course is interesting architecturally in the way we view them.

I think Victoria National is woefully underrated though by every pub other than Digest and deserves to be in the top 50 in the US. Pete Dye GC gets that recognition but I have it in my top ten ahead of many courses rated higher. It amazes me how easily those guys handle both courses, as neither is easy. From the little bit I saw, however, they made no effort to set up Victoria National to play any more difficult than it would normally.

OSU Scarlet (after the renovation at least) makes me cringe. But its probably a good pro golf test with narrow fairways, deep bunkers, etc. The fun factor is about nonexistent though.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2012, 11:18:26 AM »
however, they made no effort to set up Victoria National to play any more difficult than it would normally.

I believe you are right Andy. When holes 18 and 1 play the top four hardest holes the balance can't be maxed out. Back left flagsticks on 18 and 14 would have cost players more strokes and I am sure there are a few more I am missing, 16 was not tipped out either. And the heat is no substitute for a nice stiff breeze which stayed away all four days.

But hey -11 won at Vic and Royal Portrush took it on the chin far worse that that -18 under i believe...sad cause its a hard golf course too
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Doug Ralston

« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
They actually made the course less difficult than usual. Several holes where a ball off the fairway was a ball lost have been made almost mild. VN is a tough nut, and so much fun to play.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2012, 05:33:02 PM »
I get that GOLF does not have Victoria listed in their 100, but it surprises me it as low as it is in Golf Week Moderns (99).

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back