News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: Victoria National on Golf Channel
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2012, 07:27:06 PM »
1.  I love the fact that they had a qualifier at Quail Crossing.

2.  I love even more that there are guys that even I could beat on a good day out there trying to qualify.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Nigel Islam

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »
Did I read correctly that the other qualifying site was Vincennes Elks?

David Kelly

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2012, 08:13:49 PM »
1.  I love the fact that they had a qualifier at Quail Crossing.

2.  I love even more that there are guys that even I could beat on a good day out there trying to qualify.
Poor Charles Vander Boon.
"Whatever in creation exists without my knowledge exists without my consent." - Judge Holden, Blood Meridian.

John_Cullum

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2012, 08:48:10 PM »
Charles is slipping. He threw a 91 at them a couple of years ago in Tennessee
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 09:14:01 PM »
Did I read correctly that the other qualifying site was Vincennes Elks?

Yes but 63 (-7) is still really good. It's a Macan, always a touch tougher than a Doak.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2012, 08:22:44 AM »
GG wil l feature hi def coverage and overhead footag :'(e via prerecorded helicoptet footage of vngc and a brain sandwhich
elicopter
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

ward peyronnin

« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2012, 08:26:12 AM »
Elks is a langston moreau where Archie Simpson served as pro
Calling Rich Goodale for a handoff
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2012, 11:02:59 AM »
Elks is a langston moreau where Archie Simpson served as pro
Calling Rich Goodale for a handoff

Thanks Wade,

The front nine at the Elks is a very good reflection of Lawsonia.  Macan?!?  What was I thinking?  I got to get out of this heat.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2012, 09:29:08 PM »
     Had an awesome day watching the practice rounds at Victoria today. The pros are so generous with their time. Kudos to Casey Wittenberg, Jason Gore, Dan Chopra, Duffy Waldorf, Brad Elder, Chris Clemens, Rob Oppenheim, Scott Brown, Troy Kelly, Michael Letzig, David Mills, and Travis Hampshire in particular.
     Course looks in perfect shape (perhaps too green for this site). Pros I spoke with said they probably won't hit very many drivers. Hampshire hit 3 wood 5 iron into 18 downwind. Interesting banter between Gore and Leipzig and their caddies. They were trying to decide what to hit off 12 tee, and they decided driver was the play. It is interesting that that hole does tend to open up more the farther you hit it.

Watering the course like crazy. Rough only about 2 inches. I'm going to predict -16 to -18 winning. 3 and 9 will probably be the easiest holes. 2, 4, 10, 12, 13, 15 also birdie holes.

Brian Noser

« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2012, 11:26:59 PM »
I played there last week course was in very good shape a little soft but I am sure they were preparing for the upcoming crazy temps with a lot if rounds to be played this week. So I cant hold it against them for wanting it to look good for the TV viewers There are some very good holes out there. Rough was longer than 2 inches when I Played.

I wish I would have been told to hit 3 wood on 18. 12 is probably a driver hole lots of room right once you get to the bunker,  not much room before the bunker I imagine some may give it a go? I think it says like 350 on the card, right at the green has to be shorter.  Interesting to see what they do on a couple holes 16, 14 tough par 4 my only Birdie of the day there, 12,4. There are a couple swings I would like back after playing there, mainly 18 as I said. If the wind gets up it will be tough I played in about a 2 club wind.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2012, 09:47:53 AM »
Maybe I underestimated the rough, but it was not super high. Certainly will be able to get at least a 6 iron out of it.

John_Conley

No more Nationwide
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2012, 07:03:31 PM »
Web.com.

Not Webb.com.  Not Buy.com.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2012, 06:34:36 PM »
As I suspected, it is not true HD.  Crappy 480p signal upverted to HD.   :( >:(
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 06:45:35 PM by Joe Bausch »
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Buck Wolter

« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2012, 06:36:16 PM »
As I suspected, it is not true HD.  Crappy 480P signal upverted to HD.   :( >:(

Probably for the best -- seeing the green fans in 1080p might kill John K
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Joe Bausch

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2012, 06:47:54 PM »
As I suspected, it is not true HD.  Crappy 480P signal upverted to HD.   :( >:(

Touché.

When I played there a couple of summers ago in similar heat, those fans were a very welcome relief.

Oh, and the bass fishing in those old "stripper pits" is hard to beat.

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2012, 06:51:28 PM »
As I suspected, it is not true HD.  Crappy 480P signal upverted to HD.   :( >:(

Touché.

When I played there a couple of summers ago in similar heat, those fans were a very welcome relief.

I'm guessing a "stripper pit" is not what I think it is.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Joe Bausch

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2012, 06:57:29 PM »
As I suspected, it is not true HD.  Crappy 480P signal upverted to HD.   :( >:(

Touché.

I'm guessing a "stripper pit" is not what I think it is.

Uh, no.  But you are not the first to wonder about that southern Indiana expression.

VN is built on the old grounds of a strip mine facility.  The coal was stripped out with a big digger and before the government got heavily involved, the land could be left in a rather disturbed state.  Lots of "finger lakes" and mounded earth areas next to those areas.

Brian Colbert

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2012, 07:41:13 PM »
Check out Tim Wilkinson's scorecard if you get a chance! -1 with 7 birdies and an eagle! Doubles on 7, 8, and 16 and a finish of bogey-double-bogey-par.

Back in my days of pure mediocrity I played a US Am Qualifier at Victoria National. If you're hitting it sideways you could shoot anything out there! I've always wanted another crack at it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2012, 07:43:19 PM by Brian Colbert »

Joe Bausch

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2012, 07:58:10 PM »
Check out Tim Wilkinson's scorecard if you get a chance! -1 with 7 birdies and an eagle! Doubles on 7, 8, and 16 and a finish of bogey-double-bogey-par.

Back in my days of pure mediocrity I played a US Am Qualifier at Victoria National. If you're hitting it sideways you could shoot anything out there! I've always wanted another crack at it.

BC, you'll be a fairly long car ride away from VN when you are in Chicago.

But when you play with JakaB, don't fall for his dumb Midwestern hick gig.  Give him two a side at most, and don't let Peyronnin be the rules official. 

;) ;D

Don't come on here afterwards and say I didn't warn you.   :)

Doug Ralston

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2012, 08:38:27 PM »
Several of the players apparently said it is the best course they ever played, and the announcer said the best ever on the Junior Tour. They also said VN wanted this course to eventually host a US Open [where would the spectators stand?]. I guess, if the had Reese Jones come and help them out .............  :D

Fantastic look on TV.

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Brian Colbert

« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2012, 08:50:47 PM »
Another thing about Victoria National: Golf may not even be the best sport to play on the course. Those ponds are up to 100 feet deep and LOADED with enormous bass. Of course, you would have to consider fishing a sport, but that ball retriever isn't going to be quite enough to get that errant 6-iron you hit off 17!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2012, 10:27:39 AM »
I thought they have the course set up relatively benign for this tournament. The Saturday set up only only played about 6900 yards. I totally understand what Ward was talking about regarding the 16th. I saw somebody hit a shot in the water and they were able to drop on the green on Friday's coverage. They definitely have marked the hazards favorably so as to get the players around.

VN has done a great job though!

Andy Troeger

« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2012, 10:26:49 PM »
Interesting results on #18 as well. Lingmerth's tee shot on the 4th playoff hole seemed remarkably similar to Tomasulo's on the last hole of regulation, yet Tomasulo re-teed entirely and Lingmerth's caddie convinces everyone that the ball somehow not only crossed land but crossed a part of the fairway. The announcers tried to be politically correct about it, but you could tell they wanted to say "no way" that it crossed there. Glad to see that it didn't matter.

I would guess Victoria National is definitely one of the better venues this tour plays. Pete Dye GC is another if they still play there.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2012, 10:29:57 PM by Andy Troeger »

Brian Colbert

« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2012, 10:39:14 PM »
What an unfortunate display of sportsmanship. There was no way that ball crossed the land anywhere near the point of entry his caddie picked out. I'm glad it didn't have an impact because that is one that I think Lingwerth would have a hard time sleeping on had he managed to pull it out.

I know as a caddie you have to fight for your player, but come on man! Show some class out there.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2012, 11:52:33 PM »
I agree. Maybe at the time Lingmerth and his caddie didn't realize how bad it looked, but the announcers were right and I think implied appropriately that what they did was not at all OK. It was unseemly if not outright cheating. I think when they hear the conversation in a day or so, they'll realize they messed up. I'm glad he did not win.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back