News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Fagerli

This is how I felt the first time I played Dormie and Yeamans Hall. No 2 and Hazeltine make me want to retire to the 19th hole to talk about the round. With me great courses have different responses. The really hard ones make me want to sit in the bar and lament. The playable ones make me want to go straight to the first tee.

Jason Thurman

This is how I felt the first time I played Dormie and Yeamans Hall. No 2 and Hazeltine make me want to retire to the 19th hole to talk about the round. With me great courses have different responses. The really hard ones make me want to sit in the bar and lament. The playable ones make me want to go straight to the first tee.

Agree totally. There's a place in golf for a good old-fashioned ass-kicker of a course, and rehashing the round in conversation is often a little more realistic than heading back out to play again.

Any course that makes you want to play again right away after finishing is probably great. But not all great courses make you want to play again right after finishing.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Patrick_Mucci

Padraig,

I did it the first time I played Maidstone and would have done itat Hidden Creek had it not been getting dark

Sam Morrow

I've played 3 this week, Prairie Dunes, Sand Hills, Dismal, and probably a fourth tomorrow morning at Wild Horse.

Doug Braunsdorf

Padraig,

I did it the first time I played Maidstone and would have done itat Hidden Creek had it not been getting dark

Pat,

I think you would concur Garden City is probably the best example of this, the 18th tee/1st tee test. 
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Mark McKeever

Third or fourth in line on the BPB opinion, but I would go play Red again after holing out on 18.  

The place that does it for me most is Schuylkill, even though this may not necessarily be considered a 'great' golf course. I played there last in April, and you have to walk directly behind 1 tee after finishing, I remember saying to Mark, "I wish we had more time"

I think Huntingdon Valley does this for me as well, and close to home, GB, ACCC, HC and Seaview all share this.  

Doug, its funny....thats what our group said yesterday after we played!  and it was HOT!

Instead, Colbert and I had one heck of a putting contest!

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Jim Eder

I had this feeling at Brora in Late May. The wind was blowing quite nicely (2-3 clubs), the sun was out, it was fairly warm, there were only a few people on the front nine as I finished the back nine, the course was in great shape, it is Brora, and I couldn't wait to get out again for my 4th play at Brora on this trip. I played in 2hrs 15 and actually thought about going out a third time.  Life couldn't seem to get any better that day. Just wonderful.

jeffwarne

I had this feeling at Brora in Late May. The wind was blowing quite nicely (2-3 clubs), the sun was out, it was fairly warm, there were only a few people on the front nine as I finished the back nine, the course was in great shape, it is Brora, and I couldn't wait to get out again for my 4th play at Brora on this trip. I played in 2hrs 15 and actually thought about going out a third time.  Life couldn't seem to get any better that day. Just wonderful.

That's exactly what we did at Brora, and Pennard.
Do it at Palmetto, Southampton, Goat Hill all the time.
But I definitely have a different opinion than most about what makes a great course-to each his own
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Eder

Jeff,

Very interesting.  Brora is a special, natural place.  Glad you enjoyed it as well.

Patrick_Mucci

Doug,

I'd agree, GCGC is one of those courses where going from # 18 green to the 1st tee seems the natural thing to do.

I find that trait most prevalent amongst "sporty" courses.

It wasn't my first thought walking off BPB from the Open tees.

Maidstone, Hidden Creek, The Creek, Seminole, NGLA  and many others come to mind.

They all share one trait......... They're fun to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back