News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

ward peyronnin

Victoria National on Golf Channel
« on: June 20, 2012, 05:25:09 PM »
next week as the Nationwide Tour arrives in town.

Say what you will about Fazio but his courses can often be visually stunning and Victoria is as good as it gets. I am just offering this as a heads up to all of you who have never seen the course. They will also, I understand, for sure feature sixteen. Sixteen is a controversial par three to some, especially rules guys.

I hope some of you will watch and offer comments regarding  the above,  on coverage and how the course presents via television, and whatever. Unfortunately word is the blimp will not be available as i thiink overheads of the routing with al the winding inland "fjords" would be very cool.

My other question is how they will get 156 players around this track in a day if played from 7000+ yards with , I really mean it, US Open style rough!!! The bitch plays hard right now.
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Nigel Islam

Re: Victoria National on Golf Channel
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 05:29:22 PM »
Wade I live in Evansville and have played VN several times. I thought 16 was a very nice hole what rules issues are there? I am sure the pin set ups will be pretty easy on first two days to get people around.

ward peyronnin

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 05:43:50 PM »
The same as for most island the greens. The hazard is a bitch to mark and requires the use of a drop zone generally. At one time the sides were marked as laterals which allowed the strategy of taking driver and blowing over the side of the green which resulted in placing the ball on the green for your third shot. Also points of entry into the hazard are difficult to determine.

Moreover this is a much harder green to hit than 17th at Sawgrass and can be set up at 195 yards rather than 140. If I had a two shot lead I would bunt a nine iron to the ladies tee ; pitch on and take my four maybe three. I don't find that a strategy that conforms to the intent of the game
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
I wonder if some of the contestants realize how hot it might get at Victoria.  I grew up about three miles from the course.  I would challenge anybody to find a place hotter to play golf in the summer than southern Indiana.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tim Martin

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 07:07:46 PM »
I wonder if some of the contestants realize how hot it might get at Victoria.  I grew up about three miles from the course.  I would challenge anybody to find a place hotter to play golf in the summer than southern Indiana.

Doral?

Howard Riefs

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 07:18:14 PM »

Doral?

Close.

PGA National in August 1987.  The reason a major will never be held in Florida again...

"PGA National was a sweatbox for the tournament. The 97° high (and 84% humidity) made Sunday the hottest Aug. 9 in Palm Beach history. With few trees to provide shade, players took to wearing a variety of wide-brimmed hats and wet towels for relief. Arnold Palmer wore sweatbands around his wrists for the first time in his career and declared, "I've never been so hot in 57 years." The usually intrepid 300-pound caddie Herman Mitchell had to quit on pro Mark Hayes after nine holes Thursday. Gary Hallberg said the heat made him 'delirious.' "

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1066310/index.htm

I still remember it well.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »

Joe,

I'm leaving the friendly confines to play in St. Louis tomorrow. It's not only hotter there, it's hotter a day sooner.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 07:28:39 PM »

Joe,

I'm leaving the friendly confines to play in St. Louis tomorrow. It's not only hotter there, it's hotter a day sooner.

I was born in St. Louis John.  Hotter than EVV, no.  As hot, yes.  IMHO.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 07:28:49 PM »
So Fla is nothing, nothing, compared to NOLA. Southern Indiana, ha ha!

Nigel Islam

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 07:59:13 PM »
It has been around 100 all week. At least there was a breeze. Wade, I noticed on 16 how sharply the right bunker cants to the water. Could hit a shot down right side of green and if slightly long it would be very easy to kick into the water. The left miss is obvious, but right is tough too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 08:13:35 PM by Nigel Islam »

Sam Morrow

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 12:15:57 AM »

Joe I thought you were a smart Come to the Gulf Coast during the summer and then report back on Indiana. Crap, that's almost Canada.

Rich Goodale

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 03:23:22 AM »
Wardo

Did TGC bring a wide enough camera lens to get you and Barney in the same frame?
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Joe Bausch

« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »
My hope is TGC will give this a true HD production.  But I"m betting it will be upverted 480P coverage.   >:(

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2012, 07:14:59 PM »
Ward, when does the bus leave to have brain sandwiches at the Hilltop Inn?

Doug Ralston

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 11:54:04 AM »
Isn't VN a sort of 'lost ball' nightmare? Lots of fairway room, but on several holes any ball not on the fairway is not trouble, it is missing. Of course, these guys are Pros, so not too many, maybe. Still.

I think I will go down and watch some of this. I know they will have visitors, but remembering the clever 'hidden cartpaths' architecture, I wonder where they will stand to watch? Not a lot of extra room among the rocks, and since you can't see cartpaths, those on them will be challenged to see you either. Certain holes, like #18, will have lots of observation area. Others, I am not sure.

Anyone here who has not seen VN really should. It is an amzing sight, and fun as hell to try.

http://unitedleasingchampionship.com/

Doug

PS: Thanks again JK.
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 11:56:03 AM »
Thanks for the heads up. I'll try to give it a watch this weekend. Hopefully it's more interesting than the Sammy Davis Junior Open.
H.P.S.

Joe Bausch

Doug Ralston

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 11:05:14 AM »

Prophecy!

Just looked at the NWS again for the Thursday forecst. High of 101! Unfortunately, my enthusiasm for going and my depleted accounts [or does the word 'depleted' imply it once was not?] inspired me to make an irrevocable [say cheaper] commitment to a happy hotel. Otherwise even I would not drive 5 hrs to stand in an oven.

See you all there?

Doug
Where is everybody? Where is Tommy N? Where is John K? Where is Jay F? What has happened here? Has my absence caused this chaos? I'm sorry. All my rowdy friends have settled down ......... somewhere else!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »
The most recent NWS forecast has highs of 104° for Th and Fr.   >:(

Weather Conditions at 08:54 AM CDT on 25 Jun 2012 for Evansville, IN.
Temp(F)    Humidity(%)    Wind(mph)    Pressure(in)    Weather
========================================================================
  85          46%         NE at 7       29.91      Clear

Forecast for Evansville, IN
403 am CDT Mon Jun 25 2012

.Today...Partly sunny. A 20 percent chance of showers in the
morning. Highs in the lower 90s. Northeast winds 10 to 15 mph.
.Tonight...Clear. Lows in the upper 50s. Northeast winds 10 to
15 mph.
.Tuesday...Sunny. Highs in the mid 80s. Northeast winds 10 to
15 mph.
.Tuesday night...Clear. Lows in the mid 50s. Northeast winds
5 mph.
.Wednesday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the lower 90s. Southeast
winds 5 mph.
.Wednesday night...Clear. Lows in the mid 60s.
.Thursday...Sunny. Highs around 104.
.Thursday night...Clear. Lows in the lower 70s.
.Friday and Friday night...Mostly clear. Highs around 104. Lows
in the lower 70s.
.Saturday and Saturday night...Partly cloudy. A 20 percent chance
of showers and thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 90s. Lows in the
mid 70s.
.Sunday...Mostly sunny. Highs in the upper 90s.

Jud_T

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 11:12:56 AM »
I would challenge anybody to find a place hotter to play golf in the summer than southern Indiana.

Joe,

I'm guessing this place might give you a run for the money.  AVERAGE high temp in July = 116.5. When it really gets warm it's pushing 130:

http://www.furnacecreekresort.com/golf-1203.html

« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 11:15:16 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Joe Bausch

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2012, 11:19:32 AM »
I would challenge anybody to find a place hotter to play golf in the summer than southern Indiana.

Joe,

I'm guessing this place might give you a run for the money.  AVERAGE high temp in July = 116.5. When it really gets warm it's pushing 130:

http://www.furnacecreekresort.com/golf-1203.html

I played Furnace Creek, believer it or not.  In January, where it was only 95°.  But it was a dry heat.   ;)

I'm guessing the heat index on Th and Fr at VN could hit 115ish, which is just stupid hot, and dangerous.

Jud_T

« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2012, 11:28:07 AM »
Thank goodness players aren't allowed to wear shorts.  If I have to watch athletes like this, I'd rather they be covered in cloth:

Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2012, 11:29:18 AM »
No doubt that this week's forecast for VN features dangerous heat.  Or, as those of us from Waycross, GA, hard against the Okefenokee Swamp, call it:  summer.

NOLA may come close, but Waycross is the summer is a steamy mess.

John_Cullum

« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2012, 03:23:08 PM »
Thank goodness players aren't allowed to wear shorts.  If I have to watch athletes like this, I'd rather they be covered in cloth:

I'll be surprised if Boros can finish a round in that kind of heat. I saw him play in a Monday Qualifier in Albany Ga on a warm April day a couple of years ago. He looked like he had been sprayed with a firehose as he was dragging himself around carrying a Ping Moonbag. He quit around the 12th hole. It was pretty sad to watch, he's very talented
"We finally beat Medicare. "

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2012, 06:32:35 PM »
Guy shot even par at the local Doak course. The top 7 qualified. Took 8 under to make the cut. Six guys shot 7 under and go home.
http://iga.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/iga12/event/iga126/contest/7/leaderboard.htm

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back