News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 10:59:43 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Scott Warren

Re: Troon to host 2016 Open Championship
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2012, 08:05:20 AM »
Deal must be 2017, then...

Tom Culley

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 08:09:31 AM »
Good news.

I like to think that the Irish Open being moved to Portrush is just a test to see how the pros do, before they make the decision to take the Open back there.
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 08:11:21 AM »
I'm not ruling out a Portrush Open, but how the course plays for the pros is probably the last thing they are worrying about in that respect...
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tom Culley

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 08:24:41 AM »
I suppose the infrastructure will the main thing they are interested in, come to think of it.
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »
IMHO it is kind of a shame as Troon is my least fave of the Scottish courses on the rota.  There was once talk of adding Kingsbarns - is that never going to happen?

Matt MacIver

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 08:57:33 AM »
IMHO it is kind of a shame as Troon is my least fave of the Scottish courses on the rota.  There was once talk of adding Kingsbarns - is that never going to happen?

I think the question is, when is a links a Links? 

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 09:53:44 AM »
I have never heard of Kingsbarns being added to the rota. I think the biggest issue with the Open going to Portrush in 2017 will be related to ticket sales for the Irish this year, as long as the Irish come out and support that it can happen. The Irish this year is to test the water.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Niall Hay

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2012, 10:13:59 AM »
Great news for Scotland and Ayrshire. Best tournament and excellent venue. Wonderful to see Scotland get 3 of the next 4 Open’s (along with the Ryder Cup at Gleneagles).

Niall Hay

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2012, 10:15:56 AM »
Royal Troon to host 2016 Open Championship

The Open will return to the Ayrshire coast in 2016 when the 145th Championship is played at Royal Troon.

It will be the ninth time that the Championship has been held over the famous links, most recently in 2004 when veteran American Todd Hamilton held off three-time major champion Ernie Els in a play-off.

Announcing the 2016 Open venue as the world’s best amateur golfers face the challenge of Royal Troon in the final stages of The Amateur Championship, Jim McArthur, Chairman of The R&A Championship Committee, said: “We are delighted to announce that The Open will be returning to Royal Troon in 2016.

“Royal Troon is an excellent venue which has consistently challenged the best golfers in the world. I am sure that Ayrshire, with its historic connection to The Open, will once again provide a superb setting for the game’s oldest major championship.”

Welcoming the news, South Ayrshire Council Leader Councillor Bill McIntosh, said: “This is great news — not just for Troon, but for the whole of Ayrshire. As well as giving us a chance to showcase the fantastic golf in this area, our stunning scenery, culture and heritage, The Open will also bring a terrific economic boost with a £100 million benefit to its host economy.

“This is vital investment for our area that will help create a lasting and positive legacy for generations to come.

“We look forward to working with The R&A and Royal Troon to provide a memorable welcome in 2016 for an estimated 180,000 visitors to the county where The Open Championship began.”

Hamilton’s victory eight years ago saw him join past winners including Justin Leonard (1997), Mark Calcavecchia (1989), Tom Watson (1982), Tom Weiskopf (1973), Arnold Palmer (1962), Bobby Locke (1950) and Arthur Havers (1923).

Memorable moments at Troon include the first four-hole play-off in Open history when Calcavecchia defeated Australians Wayne Grady and Greg Norman.

An independent study commissioned by The R&A, found that The Open Championship at St Andrews in 2010 delivered a total economic benefit of £100 million to the town and surrounding area.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »

What a pity, Troon should not be on the list and should not be hosting The Open. Real pity it just does not do it for me, will it reflect in the golf played - well only time will tell.

I would rather see Askernish host The Open, it would give more exciting golf with plenty of room for the spectators, although accommodation may be a problem. :-[ 

Troon, it not the missing link, it just has something missing.

Sean Leary

« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2012, 10:29:13 AM »
Why so long in between Opens?

I was there in 2004 and it was an excellent venue...

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2012, 10:32:44 AM »

Sean

Perhaps others see that Troon is not what it seems :o

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2012, 10:39:37 AM »
With St Andrews inked in to host the championship every five years, Hoylake and Carnoustie having been reintroduced to the rota and the ongoing rumours about other courses (RCP, Portrush, Porthcawl) I think ten or twelve years between Opens is going to be normal for many of the venues. Turnberry had a big gap before the last Open, partly because of transport issues, it's eleven years since Lytham last hosted it, and will be eleven between Muirfield Opens next year.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall Hay

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2012, 11:44:31 AM »
Why so long in between Opens?

I was there in 2004 and it was an excellent venue...

Agreed Sean. Perhaps they are trying to spread it out geographically?  They have the Open at St. Andrews every 5 years, then have to include England, so they alternate between East (Muirfield, Carnoustie) and West (Troon, Turnberry). The Open will most likely rotate between the various Open rota venues every 7-12 years or so. Other things have to fit in for schedule. For instance the British Amateur is being played at Royal Troon this week. It also hosted The Amateur in 2003 (five times so far). The Senior Open Championship was played there in 2008. The R&A has to balance it out. Needless to say, Royal Troon Golf Club has a long and frequent history as host for Championship Golf.

Niall Hay

« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2012, 11:48:31 AM »
With St Andrews inked in to host the championship every five years, Hoylake and Carnoustie having been reintroduced to the rota and the ongoing rumours about other courses (RCP, Portrush, Porthcawl) I think ten or twelve years between Opens is going to be normal for many of the venues. Turnberry had a big gap before the last Open, partly because of transport issues, it's eleven years since Lytham last hosted it, and will be eleven between Muirfield Opens next year.

Well said and agreed Adam.

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:40 PM »
Adrian, attendance will not be an Issue. The weekend of the Irish Open is already sold out to its 30,000 a day limit and weekdays iare nearly there. When you consider the extra pull of a major and the fact that RCD has traditionally been al ot easier to sell tickets for, the R+A should be able to sell as many tickets as people they can fit on the property.

Niall C

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
The R&A took their time making it public, no doubt looking to link it to the build up for this years Open but also the Amateur which is being played at Troon now.

I've stated often that I'm a fan of the course and it certainly seems to produce some exciting championships. Also as a venue for the Open its perhaps the best in Scotland in terms of infrastructure and accessability, quite a potent combination.

Melvyn

What exactly is the missing criteria for why Troon shouldn't be on the Open rota other than you don't seem to like it. Even though its not one of your personal favourites can you not recognise it as a quality links that meets all the criteria ?

Niall

Niall Hay

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2012, 04:58:52 PM »
The R&A took their time making it public, no doubt looking to link it to the build up for this years Open but also the Amateur which is being played at Troon now.

I've stated often that I'm a fan of the course and it certainly seems to produce some exciting championships. Also as a venue for the Open its perhaps the best in Scotland in terms of infrastructure and accessability, quite a potent combination.

Melvyn

What exactly is the missing criteria for why Troon shouldn't be on the Open rota other than you don't seem to like it. Even though its not one of your personal favourites can you not recognise it as a quality links that meets all the criteria ?

Niall
Completely agree on both points Niall. 

The course gets a lot undeserved grief on this site, but it is a great layout. Not sexy like some, but an excellent championship test. A three act play.  Starts out easy to ease you into a false sense of security, then turns inland with a great stretch of holes highlighted by the Postage Stamp and Railway (and Tel-el-Kebir IMO), followed by a great stretch of truly testing holes to finish. Royal Troon has unmatched clubhouse and amenities in the UK. And it is very popular with the players, especially the Americans who not only think it is very fair but also have a great deal of success in winning there (Palmer, Watson, etc).

As for the infrastructure/accessibility or logistics is there a single course in the Open rota with better accommodations/lodging, good roads (near 2 airports), high quality restaurants (thank you Costley’s) and proximity to the course as well as many others? 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2012, 05:11:23 PM »
Niall

I have never been a fan of Troon. Simple as that, and it goes back years.

Melvyn

Niall C

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2012, 01:39:24 PM »
Melvyn

Fair enough but you not being a fan shouldn't knock it off the list. As the other Niall says it is a great layout although I wouldn't describe the first stretch of holes as necessarily being easy. A different charachter perhaps than what comes after but certainly not a pushover.

Niall

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
Most Open Championship courses have their detractors. There is little love on this site for Hoylake, Birkdale, Turnberry and Troon. Lytham passes under the radar. Royal St G's does not get the plaudits that RCP receives. Carnoustie is referred to as Carnasty. And The Old Course is seen as an anachronism. Let's cancel the Open. It's had its day. Go back to gutties and hickories and play the thing at Musselburgh with a field of eight drunken Scots.

Niall Hay

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2012, 07:58:37 PM »
Most Open Championship courses have their detractors. There is little love on this site for Hoylake, Birkdale, Turnberry and Troon. Lytham passes under the radar. Royal St G's does not get the plaudits that RCP receives. Carnoustie is referred to as Carnasty. And The Old Course is seen as an anachronism. Let's cancel the Open. It's had its day. Go back to gutties and hickories and play the thing at Musselburgh with a field of eight drunken Scots.

Sounds like a good time Mark!

Niall Hay

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »
It would be great to see Prestwick get the Open again (I know not likely for several reasons). Just for the history alone would he great for golf to revisit. Are there any other former host golf course in Scotland that could get in the rotation? 

Could a new or modern design ever get chosen as host? If Chambers Bay can get a US Open then why not Castle Stuart (I know location could be an issue) or the previously mentioned Kingsbarns? Loch Lomond is not a links so don't see that happening. Would the R&A ever allow a non classic? 

Another Scottish course that would be a really nice place for an Open would be Royal Dornoch.  Again location and logistics may be an issue as well but the course is certainly worthy.  

In Northern Ireland Royal County Down would be a nice addition. Portrush has had an Open so why not RCD?

Lastly and as much as it pains me as a Scot to type this, are there any English courses that would be worthy additions to the Open rota? Former hosts, previously overlooked or any new designs? 

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2012, 03:57:45 AM »
It would be great to see Prestwick get the Open again (I know not likely for several reasons). Just for the history alone would he great for golf to revisit. Are there any other former host golf course in Scotland that could get in the rotation? 

Could a new or modern design ever get chosen as host? If Chambers Bay can get a US Open then why not Castle Stuart (I know location could be an issue) or the previously mentioned Kingsbarns? Loch Lomond is not a links so don't see that happening. Would the R&A ever allow a non classic? 

Another Scottish course that would be a really nice place for an Open would be Royal Dornoch.  Again location and logistics may be an issue as well but the course is certainly worthy.  

In Northern Ireland Royal County Down would be a nice addition. Portrush has had an Open so why not RCD?

Lastly and as much as it pains me as a Scot to type this, are there any English courses that would be worthy additions to the Open rota? Former hosts, previously overlooked or any new designs? 

A lot of those above aren't particularly practical for a number of reasons...

If I were a betting man, my favourites from the classics would be a return to Deal or Portush at sometime in the future... And I think the most likely modern is the Trump course near Aberdeen...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back