News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill Shamleffer

Best courses least seen by pros
« on: June 19, 2012, 01:10:19 PM »
There were some recent threads about courses that are popular for visits by touring pros when a Tour event is in town.  There have also been mentions in past threads about certain pros visiting some great courses such as Pine Valley, Bandon, etc.

On this theme, what might some great courses that are least seen by visiting PGA Tour pros.  If I had to take a wild guess I might suppose that Fishers Island has very few rounds played by visiting pros from any of the pro tours.

I would be interested to hear what courses people on this site think the pros are missing out on visiting.

The obvious contrast to this question is - Why does it matter what courses the pros are interested in visiting for purely pleasurable rounds.  Although, I think the pros that make these efforts to visit these courses are also the pros more likely to appreciate quality golf course architecture.
“The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.”  Damon Runyon

Kalen Braley

Re: Best courses least seen by pros
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 01:11:57 PM »
I wonder how many pros have visited courses that are off the beaten path like Sand Hills, Wine Valley, Ballyneal, RCCC, etc.

Tom Ferrell

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 01:24:15 PM »
In my experience, few Tour pros venture on pure golf trips for the sake of the golf itself.  If it's not near a tournament site or part of a corporate outing itinerary, they generally don't go.  Understandable, given the time demands of professional golf.

I would say that only a handful of active Tour players have even seen Bandon, much less Sand Hills, Bally, etc. 

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 01:25:39 PM »

Moray GC??

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
There are a number in the NYC area.

Mountain Ridge would be one

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 01:29:03 PM »
Courses in cities the PGA Tour does not visit visit are likely to be little seen by the tour pros. A course like Camargo in Cincinnati might be an example.

Royal Dornoch usually gets a visit from one or two touring pros a year, although that will likely change if the Scottish Open continues to be held at Castle Stuart.    
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 01:51:17 PM by David_Tepper »

Carr Harris

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 01:33:53 PM »
Foulpointe  ;)

Tim Leahy

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 01:41:44 PM »
How about a Shell's World of Golf from Ballyneal? Rory McElroy and Webb Simpson?
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Daryl David

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2012, 01:49:25 PM »
How about a Shell's World of Golf from Ballyneal? Rory McElroy and Webb Simpson?

Boring.  One guy doesn't like links style golf (or less than perfect weather) and the other one anchors his putter for God's sake.  ;) 

I believe Davis Love played Ballyneal way back when.  That is about it for pros stopping by.  Guess the runway in Holyoke is too short for the G5s.   ;D

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »

Boring.  One guy doesn't like links style golf (or less than perfect weather) and the other one anchors his putter for God's sake.  ;) 

I believe Davis Love played Ballyneal way back when.  That is about it for pros stopping by.  Guess the runway in Holyoke is too short for the G5s.   ;D

Yes, DL3 played, in I believe fall of 2006 (right around the Founders gathering that September). Tway and Verplank also visited together in 2008, if I recall the time period correctly.

Dan King

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2012, 02:38:45 PM »
I'd reword this thread to courses you hope the pros never discover and screw up. 

Both my choices are far from the places where pros would hang out. The Machrie in Scotland and the Valley Club in Montecito.

Cheers,
Dan King
The grounds on which golf is played are called links being the barren, sandy soil from which the sea has retired in recent geological times. In their natural state links are covered with long, rank, benty grass and gorse. . . links  are too barren for cultivation; but sheep, rabbits, geese and professionals pick up a precarious livelihood on them.
 --Sir W.G. Simpson

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2012, 02:57:54 PM »
I'd reword this thread to courses you hope the pros never discover and screw up. 

Both my choices are far from the places where pros would hang out. The Machrie in Scotland and the Valley Club in Montecito.

Cheers,
Dan King
The grounds on which golf is played are called links being the barren, sandy soil from which the sea has retired in recent geological times. In their natural state links are covered with long, rank, benty grass and gorse. . . links  are too barren for cultivation; but sheep, rabbits, geese and professionals pick up a precarious livelihood on them.
 --Sir W.G. Simpson

Dan:

Believe it or not, Fred Couples is a member of The Valley Club of Montecito.  And so is Steve Pate's brother, John.  So The Valley Club is no longer as rare a venue for Tour pros as it once was.  But, I think your choice of The Machrie is on pretty sound footing.  Askernish would be another good one!

Dan King

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2012, 03:11:56 PM »
Tom Doak writes:
Believe it or not, Fred Couples is a member of The Valley Club of Montecito.  And so is Steve Pate's brother, John.

I think I knew about Freddie and John. I just don't see much pro influence at the Valley Club. I think a pro as a member would be less likely to want to change the course to match his or her game. When pros show up now and then at a resort, the pro seems more likely to say what they didn't like about the course, and the powers-that-be are more likely to listen to them.

Cheers,
Dan King
One of the advantages bowling has over golf is that you seldom lose a bowling ball.
 --Don Carter, professional bowler

Mark Johnson

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2012, 03:22:26 PM »
In my experience, few Tour pros venture on pure golf trips for the sake of the golf itself.  If it's not near a tournament site or part of a corporate outing itinerary, they generally don't go.  Understandable, given the time demands of professional golf.

I would say that only a handful of active Tour players have even seen Bandon, much less Sand Hills, Bally, etc. 

More than you'd think.  remember many of american probably played them in college...   if you look at the courses where the top college teams either play tourneys or have trips, the quality of courses is generally better than the tour.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2012, 03:26:38 PM »
If you are talking about US PGA tour pros then this is easy to answer since I would argue any course outside of North America and the UK.  So any course listed reviewed on this site or in the World top 100 outside those geographies.  So here are a few: Morfontaine,  Fontainbleau, Hirono,  Kawana, Tokyo, Cape Kidnappers, Kauri Cliffs (despite the Kiwi challenge), Jockey Club in Buenos Aires, etc.  And in the UK I wonder how many tour pros go to Machrihanish or Cruden Bay.

And here in Canada I would bet that few tour pros get to Highland Links, Royal Colwood or Victoria Golf Club.  I would also add Mt Bruno to the list but Poults played there a week ago.

J_ Crisham

« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »
Crystal Downs is a world class layout  that is just a bit remote for the typical tour player- although Watson used to visit on occasion.

Scott Warren

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 04:58:09 PM »
Tom Ferrell,

You're probably right that it is rare, but I read last year about Justin Rose and his mates spending a week on Long Island playing Garden City, Friar's Head, National and a few other under-the-radar courses.

On the flipside, there is a story around the traps in London about Ernie Els turning up to play at Swinley Forest and walking off after less than two holes, telling his buddies "let's go over to Wentworth."

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »
Crystal Downs is a world class layout  that is just a bit remote for the typical tour player- although Watson used to visit on occasion.

I spent five years there, and in that time we had a few visits from touring professionals.  Brad Faxon and Mark McCumber showed up on separate occasions, but both are into golf course architecture as a business.  Brett Quigley made the four hour drive up from the Flint area when the Buick Open was last played a few years ago simply to play one of the classics.  Most of the CBS announcing team has been there at one time or another, but always separately; Ian Baker-Finch, Peter Oosterhuis, Bobby Clampett, and Gary McCord all made independent visits.

Ben Crenshaw first played there in 1985 and soon after gushed about the course in an interview, and many members attribute that to the uptick in membership demand.  He has been back there once or twice since.

It is certainly out of the way, but I was impressed - especially with Brett Quigley - that the folks who really get it and are into great golf make the trip.

mike_beene

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »
A number have played Dornick Hills due to the college tournament there.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2012, 10:12:54 PM »
Highlands Links.

Tom Culley

« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2012, 07:11:58 AM »
I cannot imagine that the links courses of Cornwall or Devon are ever visited by tour pros.

Slightly changing the subject... are there any courses so private that a tour pro could not get on without a member?
"Play the ball as it lies, play the course as you find it, and if you cannot do either, do what is fair. But to do what is fair, you need to know the Rules of Golf."

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2012, 07:30:23 AM »
Tom - sure - Augusta, Pine Valley, Seminole, etc..

Jason Thurman

« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2012, 08:52:48 AM »
Tom - sure - Augusta, Pine Valley, Seminole, etc..

One of my sources tells me that 92 professionals made a trip to Augusta without a member back in April.

On the public side, I'd be surprised if many pros get to Lawsonia, though I suppose Stricker and Kelly have played it at a minimum. Rock Creek sounds like a good bet.

Among potential tournament sites, I doubt too many have made the trek to French Lick to play the Dye course.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Scott McWethy

« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2012, 09:13:20 PM »
In the midwest I would say Chicago Golf Club.  On the east coast I would say Garden City, Fishers Island and Myopia.  On the west coast I would say San Francisco GC .  No rhyme or reason, just courses that seem to keep a low profile.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2012, 09:32:46 PM »
A bunch of Tour pros have played SFGC over the years, and I'd guess that several more played it this week.

Garden City, not so much.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back