News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Sherma

Practice Range Divot Patterns
« on: June 18, 2012, 03:46:24 PM »
My club's turf blog linked to this USGA Green Section article.

http://gsr.lib.msu.edu/article/mcclellan-practice-6-8-12.pdf

I've never seen this laid out this clearly. I've been a "concentrator" but I guess I'll try to be more conscientous of the strips after reading this.

Lester George

Re: Practice Range Divot Patterns
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 04:51:34 PM »
We have used the Linear Pattern at Kinloch since right after we opened.  It works better than anything els we have tried.

Lester

Pat Burke

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 11:40:18 PM »
One of the benefits of the "strips", is if filled correctly,
helps combat the washboard effect that giant squares produce

Chris Tritabaugh

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2012, 07:44:33 AM »
Recently did a post on our blog on this same topic. A couple of weeks later we had some decent results. Getting the word out is key as I had a number of members come up to me and say they had never even thought about it but are now doing the strips. If everyone did this it would make a huge difference in the quality of turf on a practice tee.

http://bit.ly/LuejaB

D_Malley

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2012, 10:52:03 AM »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2012, 06:17:03 PM »
Practice?  We talking about practice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exOxUAntx8I   ;)

Jim Franklin

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2012, 08:11:32 AM »
I tried telling some "low" handicappers at our place that this is how they should do it, but they say I am wrong. Some continue to put the ball in front of the divot and take out even more turf. Ridiculous.
Mr Hurricane

Mark Smolens

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2012, 09:44:33 AM »
I think that it's remarkable that the USGA would put together an article about range maintenance and cite as a source the super at the Village Links of Glen Ellyn -- which has one of the worst patches of driving range turf in the entire Chicago District, if not the free world. And I play there a lot (2:40 today, and we have only two if anybody's interested!).

The last time they played the Western Open I got to caddy for a friend on Sunday thru Wednesday. Being inside the ropes on the range was so friggin cool. Vijay was extraordinarily meticulous in the way he cut those long strips of turf, placing the ball at the back end and cutting a little more. Tiger, otoh, hit balls Saturday night from about 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. (at the far end of the range, away from everyone -- I sat on a bucket and watched him the whole time), and the divot pattern was a box that ended up looking like it had been surgically excised by a gardner with an edger.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
Thanks for the info Jim,

I've been making strips growing backwards for a long time. However, those times I stay long enough to make more than one strip, I made them side by side. This helped me see the error of my ways.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Willie_Dow

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2012, 10:09:03 PM »
Good reply by all.  But ?????????????????

Why do we need tight lies in the first place ?????????????????

The old Seve fairways were soft, and we didn't always take a divot.  Yes, occasionally for backspin, but we learned that shot because of soft lies.

Just making it more costly maintenance wise to increase the budget, I think ?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2012, 10:16:09 PM »
Thanks for the info Jim,

I've been making strips growing backwards for a long time. However, those times I stay long enough to make more than one strip, I made them side by side. This helped me see the error of my ways.

Calling bravo siera on a 22 hdc hitting that many balls. If anything your strip would look like a chinese zipper.

JLahrman

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2012, 10:37:54 PM »
Here was my work today:

I have always been a Concentrator, and I hit my first two or three balls that way. Then I remembered this article, and decided to start Stripping.

This is 25 balls worth, all wedges.

I don't know if it's the pattern of a Concentrator with a touch of Stripping, or a Stripper who likes to Concentrate.

Kirk Moon

« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »
Practice?  We talking about practice?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exOxUAntx8I   ;)

Great link.   Love it!  

The Cal Club asks all members to "strip".  Don't think I've ever seen anyone "stripping" at the O Club.   

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2012, 11:39:23 PM »
Thanks for the info Jim,

Calling bravo siera on a 22 hdc hitting that many balls. If anything your strip would look like a chinese zipper.

John,

How old will you have to be before you will learn that it is best not to speak about things you know nothing about?
Is there hope for you yet?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2012, 11:48:17 PM »
No. This strip thing is a farce. It only works for the highest of skilled player.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2012, 11:51:34 PM »
No. This strip thing is a farce. It only works for the highest of skilled player.

I must be a plus handicap then.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2012, 11:54:58 PM »

I must be a plus handicap then.

Exactly.

Bill Brightly

« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2012, 02:49:23 PM »
Here was my work today:

I have always been a Concentrator, and I hit my first two or three balls that way. Then I remembered this article, and decided to start Stripping.

This is 25 balls worth, all wedges.

I don't know if it's the pattern of a Concentrator with a touch of Stripping, or a Stripper who likes to Concentrate.

JL,

Looks like you are double-stripping...  One divot per line, please!

JLahrman

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2012, 02:57:38 PM »
Yes, I would have done one line had I not done two across with my first two shots.

I have a hard time going cold turkey. Good thing I don't smoke.

Next time I will be a one-line stripper.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2012, 04:36:54 PM »
I usually just work off the back side of whats already there......instead of starting a new section.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back