News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sam Morrow

Re: Where should the US Open be played in 2020?
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 03:46:47 PM »
Joel, and everyone else about Dallas National, it's true the problem with Dallas National is that with all the ravines and heavy woods around it there is not room for spectators. The USGA has already looked at Dallas National and ruled it out for the big majors and the PGA looked hard at giving Dallas National a Ryder Cup and PGA but realized they couldn't get in the spectators. That is the entire problem with Dallas National, it's plenty of course for any players and it's proximity to Dallas are very attractive but there just isn't room for fans.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »

Thanks for all of your ideas! I think the list of courses hosting the US Amateur have the highest odds.

I thought of big cities in the South and wondered about St. Louis. Is there a 36 hole complex in St. Louis or one in Indiana?

I also thought about Quali Hollow but it is already hosting the PGA in 2017.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »
Trump's course in northern New Jersey.

Alex Miller

« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 09:28:28 PM »
I would guess Winged Foot.

For 2022 I am holding out hope for LACC to step up  :).

Mark Johnson

« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 09:55:03 PM »
my vote would be for Oakland Hills easily.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #30 on: June 18, 2012, 11:52:40 PM »
Olympic Lake

mike_beene

« Reply #31 on: June 19, 2012, 12:22:28 AM »
I don't think you can do Dallas in June. Too hot,end of spring storms(I saw last week that hail ruins greens) and to get it firm enough you risk the greens for the rest of the year.Subair to a layman doesn't seem to help that much.Dallas is a three season golf town,and summer isn't one of the three.Southern Hills is borderline.

Randy Thompson

« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 01:06:42 AM »
The Country Club-Brookline

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 06:55:11 AM »
Colorado Golf Club
Proud member of a Doak 3.

John_Conley

« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 08:34:40 AM »
A couple mentions of Hazeltine National.  It is hard for me to see them getting picked so soon after hosting the 2016 Ryder Cup.  Also, they kind of went the PGA of America route...two PGA Championships and a Ryder Cup.  My impression was that was done with an understanding they might be out of the USGA loop for a while as far as the US Open is concerned.

PCCraig

« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 09:29:57 AM »
I thought of big cities in the South and wondered about St. Louis. Is there a 36 hole complex in St. Louis or one in Indiana?

Bellerive (1965 US Open Host) only has 18 holes but thanks to a neighboring estate they have tons of room for parking/tents/etc. They are hosting the PGA in 2018 which would make an Open in ~2020 unlikely.
H.P.S.

PCCraig

« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 09:30:38 AM »

I would be willing to bet TCC gets 2023.
H.P.S.

Phil McDade

« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 11:06:24 AM »

Pat:

I was under the distinct impression that TCC's membership has declined to host the US Open again, due to the circus involved. The Amateur isn't quite the hurricane that the Open is. I think this goes back aways, as the story I heard was that the USGA really wanted TCC to host the 2013 US Open to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Oiumet's win, but that the club declined.

Sean Leary

« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »
It is too bad that it isn't going to Brookline next year. Seemed like it was meant to be.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 11:22:08 AM »
Given the traffic the 5th major thread is getting, the USGA needs to look at Dismal River. The army must have a few surplus tents from our excursions to the middle east in recent years that could be set up for accommodations.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

PCCraig

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 12:31:48 PM »

Pat:

I was under the distinct impression that TCC's membership has declined to host the US Open again, due to the circus involved. The Amateur isn't quite the hurricane that the Open is. I think this goes back aways, as the story I heard was that the USGA really wanted TCC to host the 2013 US Open to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Oiumet's win, but that the club declined.

TCC's membership is fairly fickle when it comes to championship golf. They were awarded the 1999 Ryder Cup with the caveat that they would also host the 2005 PGA. After the circus of the Ryder Cup subsided and they understood the cost of hosting a modern golf tournament (their Primrose nine was unplayable for a long time afterwards) they gave the PGA a big nevermind for the 2005 event, which was later awarded to Baltusrol.

Even though they weren't interested in hosting the PGA, there was significant discussion between the club and USGA about hosting the 2013 Open to mark the 100 year anniversary of Francis Ouimet's victory. The USGA was willing to do a "smaller" Open at TCC but ultimately Merion was chosen instead, where a US Am was just hosted. The USGA awarded TCC the Am in 2013 to celebrate the 100 year anniversary as well as to give it a dry run to see how the course does with the long hitting young players of today. Apparently the USGA is open to returning to some of the smaller classical sites (Merion, TCC) every so often and there is a very strong chance given a successful 2013 Am that the Open will be awarded to TCC sometime next decade. 
H.P.S.

mike_beene

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 06:34:09 PM »
Barry,the only option from a course and infrastructure standpoint would be DAC Blue which as a par 70 might work.It is redone since Nicklaus won his PGA there in the 60s(redone by Nicklaus)I think they tried to get a PGA back but did not succeed.The other potential would have been Tenison Park which is the best land in Dallas. The redo was sadly underwhelming.If you put the old layout back and bunkered it you would have something worthwhile plus plenty of land with the East course.If an open comes to Texas,it needs to go back to a Bermuda course and specifically a remodeled Champions Cy Creek. The Dallas courses otherwise are to confined or to real estatee (Gentle Creek) or just won't work due to severe properties(Dallas National) or politics(Preston Trail).Whispering would be cool but to remote. Carnoustie would suddenly seem convenient.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 06:38:00 PM »
Barry,the only option from a course and infrastructure standpoint would be DAC Blue which as a par 70 might work.It is redone since Nicklaus won his PGA there in the 60s(redone by Nicklaus)I think they tried to get a PGA back but did not succeed.The other potential would have been Tenison Park which is the best land in Dallas. The redo was sadly underwhelming.If you put the old layout back and bunkered it you would have something worthwhile plus plenty of land with the East course.If an open comes to Texas,it needs to go back to a Bermuda course and specifically a remodeled Champions Cy Creek. The Dallas courses otherwise are to confined or to real estatee (Gentle Creek) or just won't work due to severe properties(Dallas National) or politics(Preston Trail).Whispering would be cool but to remote. Carnoustie would suddenly seem convenient.

Play the Open at Shady Oaks, it's a Trent Jones so Rees can come renovate it, this site would love that.

mike_beene

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 07:15:02 PM »
Front 9 to real estatee for USGA

Sam Morrow

« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 07:18:43 PM »
Front 9 to real estatee for USGA

Did you just make up a word? :)

mike_beene

« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 07:33:37 PM »
I did.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 07:35:16 PM »
I did.

How about the TXGA and USGA work together and turn The Honors Club into a potential Open site?

Angela Moser

« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 07:38:51 PM »
Guys,

Tom is right. I got the information from the new superintendent at Winged Foot. Gil Hanse redesigns both courses before the US Open will be hosted there.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 07:42:56 PM »
Guys,

Tom is right. I got the information from the new superintendent at Winged Foot. Gil Hanse redesigns both courses before the US Open will be hosted there.

Glad to see the USGA is going to ignore that landmass between the East Coast and the West Coast called America.

mike_beene

« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 08:30:14 PM »
I am ok with the USGA not coming south or southwest.The time of the year is wrong ,travel is easy and there are very successful spring tournaments you would be messing up.With the damage the tour has done to the Texas swing why screw them up more. I am disappointed that the Ryder Cup,which is played in prime golf season here,has only been to Champions once.Colonial wanted it badly a few years ago.Re the Honors,at least they have greens.The hail has ruined us until fall.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back