News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

Re: Report from Merion #2; the 14th tee box and the Stop Sign
« Reply #50 on: June 20, 2012, 08:18:53 AM »
I was curious to know how Google Earth measures yardages.  Is the technology proprietary?  With a bit of digging it turns out the original patent which the method Google employs goes back to the early 20th century submitted and granted to an A. Wilson of Ardmore, PA.

Go figure.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Bill Shotzbarger

« Reply #51 on: June 20, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »

100 years later Merion has a "road hole".   ;)

+ 1

DMoriarty

« Reply #52 on: June 20, 2012, 12:01:41 PM »
I was curious to know how Google Earth measures yardages.  Is the technology proprietary?  With a bit of digging it turns out the original patent which the method Google employs goes back to the early 20th century submitted and granted to an A. Wilson of Ardmore, PA.

Go figure.

Joe Bausch, While I appreciate your attempts at subtle sarcasm, I am afraid this one probably goes well over the heads of most of the readers.   

From the middle of the original tee box to the middle of the 3rd green, how long was the hole? 
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

JESII

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:27 PM »
David,

You're working to hard to hide your sense of humor...relax...

C. Squier

« Reply #54 on: June 20, 2012, 12:14:00 PM »
I know the Google Earth picture posted makes it look like a player needs to blast it over the trees on #14, but as I stood on the proposed tee box last week, it didn't strike me as an odd place for a deep tee.  Do I want to play it from there?  Heavens no, but then again I won't be playing there next Father's Day.

I will also be interested to see how the 12th green plays once it gets up to speed and the tee ball strategy on #2.  You will see balls bouncing down the road for sure.

Sean Leary

« Reply #55 on: June 20, 2012, 01:22:05 PM »
I know the Google Earth picture posted makes it look like a player needs to blast it over the trees on #14, but as I stood on the proposed tee box last week, it didn't strike me as an odd place for a deep tee.  Do I want to play it from there?  Heavens no, but then again I won't be playing there next Father's Day.

I will also be interested to see how the 12th green plays once it gets up to speed and the tee ball strategy on #2.  You will see balls bouncing down the road for sure.

That is what I figured about 14.

Did you notice a big difference on 12 green from the last time you played there?

ChipOat

« Reply #56 on: June 20, 2012, 03:16:27 PM »
David,

Yes, I saw the video and I agree that it would seem to indicate that I was not, in fact, viewing the 14th hole from the correct place.  However, there aren't any flat spots (at least, not now) except on the far left or the far right.  Tom Paul indicated that the tee markers will be positioned to the right of center.  I have no doubt the Stop Sign will be removed as I hear Matt Shaffer say so on the video.  My only question now is, "what is the real angle going to be?"  From the right?  From the center??  Don't know for sure but I do want to get clarification the next time I'm there.

Is Prestwick (and, probably, Fishers Island) doing a better job than Merion, Augusta, TOC, etc. at preserving the original architecture (but not necessarily the original degree of difficulty)?  You bet!  I just don't think that makes them any better or worse than those who have decided to "join 'em" (except for super fast greens).

To put it another way, I'm a big fan of keeping up with the original degree of difficulty as it was intended to be when the course was built.  That's why Merion's bunker project was fine with me.  It's also why I am willing to concede that softening the pitch of Golden Era greens which were never meant to "Stimp" above 6? or 8?? is a necessary Plan B.  For major championships, it also means putting new tee boxes in "creative" places.

Letting the great old courses become obsolete for championships is fine if that's the club's decision (e.g. Prestwick or Myopia Hunt).  If it isn't, that's fine, too.  It's just not something I care about all that much. 

C. Squier

« Reply #57 on: June 20, 2012, 03:42:40 PM »

That is what I figured about 14.

Did you notice a big difference on 12 green from the last time you played there?

Well, last time I played I batted the ball around about 4 times.....so yeah, just a bit!  The pitch has been softened for sure, but I would bet heavily that when the green gets up to top speed, you won't find guys putting with reckless abandon.  But for now they're aerating it aggressively and keeping it hairy.

DMoriarty

« Reply #58 on: June 20, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »
David,
Is Prestwick (and, probably, Fishers Island) doing a better job than Merion, Augusta, TOC, etc. at preserving the original architecture (but not necessarily the original degree of difficulty)?  You bet!  I just don't think that makes them any better or worse than those who have decided to "join 'em" (except for super fast greens).

I understand what you are saying, but if one believes in the greatness and integrity of these old designs then one could argue that changes made for the sake of a tournament every decade or so are bound to make the courses worse, especially when the changes would not be necessary for the vast majority of golfers playing on greens maintained at reasonable speeds.  

To put it another way, I'm a big fan of keeping up with the original degree of difficulty as it was intended to be when the course was built.  That's why Merion's bunker project was fine with me.  It's also why I am willing to concede that softening the pitch of Golden Era greens which were never meant to "Stimp" above 6? or 8?? is a necessary Plan B.  For major championships, it also means putting new tee boxes in "creative" places.

Letting the great old courses become obsolete for championships is fine if that's the club's decision (e.g. Prestwick or Myopia Hunt).  If it isn't, that's fine, too.  It's just not something I care about all that much.  

Isn't the reality that the technology and top level quality of play has long rendered all these courses obsolete in terms of par value, and that trying to artificially maintain "par" as the goal means that the courses have to be manipulated almost beyond recognition?    

If the goal is "degree of difficulty" then take the tournament somewhere more appropriate for such determinations, like a driving range, or the set of Big Break Death Valley.    Because maintaining the degree of difficulty at these great venues seems to be incompatible with maintaining the historical integrity of designs. 
« Last Edit: June 20, 2012, 06:03:56 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2012, 07:05:19 PM »

[/quote]

100 years later Merion has a "road hole".   ;)
[/quote]

You haven't seen the 6th hole yet then, correct?

DMoriarty

« Reply #60 on: June 20, 2012, 09:20:17 PM »

+1

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #61 on: June 20, 2012, 10:55:53 PM »
Pat:

Your sense of humor as reflected on that last post, if that's what you think it is, has pretty much worn thin now on this website.

That's your opinion, one not shared by many on this site.

There probably will be a next step at some point, and somehow and somewhere but now and here may not be the right time or place.
Let me know when and I'll try to be there unless I have something important to do.

Good night and get some rest,

I think you need it, and so do I.

Tomorrow I have a shit-load of mowing to do!!

And I've got some night putting to do.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #62 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:11 PM »

+1

You mean the 6th hole at Hoylake, "Briars"? Which is the hole we should be talking about in reference to templates involving Merion's 14th hole.

If that's the case: +1

If not: -1

ChipOat

« Reply #63 on: June 21, 2012, 10:51:04 AM »
David,

Sorry - it's just not on my "pet peeve" list.

chip

DMoriarty

« Reply #64 on: June 21, 2012, 12:48:44 PM »
I understand what you are saying.  Like you, most of the golfing world could not care less about what the USGA does to Merion in order to try and maintain a subjective "par" goal for the winner.  And all our bitching and moaning aside, Merion is such a great course that its greatness will likely shine through regardless of the setup. 

ChipOat

« Reply #65 on: June 21, 2012, 04:29:29 PM »
David,

Unless it pours rain.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back