News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert West

Up late, too excited to sleep.
« on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:26 PM »
Ok, I grew up in NYC and am finally making my pilgrimage to Bethpage (at least I got there before I turned 30). Any night owls have any advice or tips for the Black? I am about an eleven index and probably won't piss off the group behind me by playing the tips...

I'm just excited to finally see it. Jeez I guess it's my first dance with both Tillie and Reese as well. I' not going to pull too much of my hair out...right?

--Rob

Sam Morrow

Re: Up late, too excited to sleep.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 11:51:14 PM »
The night before is always such a cool night, have a ball and soak it all in.

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2012, 12:04:07 AM »
The night before is always such a cool night, have a ball and soak it all in.

Ditto...just enjoy the experience and make sure to have a good breakfast when the time comes.
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Robert West

Re: Up late, too excited to sleep. Bethpage.
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2012, 12:10:31 AM »
I really look forward to dragging my cart loving brother over 18 holes of walk-only golf. Is it a course easy to lose a lot of balls or merely hard to play well from the rough?

DMoriarty

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2012, 12:22:02 AM »
My first play there I was extremely hung over and it was extremely hot. I wouldn't recommend that.   

Have fun.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2012, 12:23:21 AM »
Robert,

I think you're going to be amazed at the scale of the course, it's huge.

You should have a great day for golf, although the past week's rains will make the course play longer and the rough, tougher.

It's quite an experience, enjoy it to the fullest.

Paul Jones

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2012, 12:52:00 AM »
That is a special place for me since it was on Number 8 that I got my Hole-in-One.

It is a great experience.  Enjoy.

Paul
Paul Jones
pauljones@live.com

Robert West

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2012, 01:57:11 AM »
The rain was not a factor I thought of when I made the reservation last week. For a bit I thought the rain would help us catch a few greens but research on this site seems to indicate flat greens, so perhaps I would prefer drier fairways to help move the ball along off the tee...? Oh who cares... I'm going to try to stop thinking about it once I'm  teed up and just play and take it all in. I'll have to refrain from nerding out too much lest my brother start walking faster to escape.

Also, I have had a good year so far at work (thank you Brooklyn real estate market!) and have been eyeing a trip to Pinehurst, there was a great discussion a few years back on this site that compared the two venues: http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,13851.0.html

Having never played either, I wonder how they will compare now that the Black has been redone again, and Pinehurst has had its grand rebirth... Though from what I gather it's still going to be length vs finesse, beastly vs foxy. I guess one question I would have is how different are these courses today from what they were/will be for the Opens, is it all length, stimp, fairway width and rough height?

Matt OBrien

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2012, 08:13:09 AM »
I played there a few weeks ago and I noticed the rough was thick and long for this time of the year. I asked my caddy why that was and he said that they want to make sure the rough is healthy for the barclays this year.....I would recommend playing the forward tees if you are worried about losing balls...that course is a bear....I like playing it from the tips for fun just to see how good those guys really are when you watch it on TV...

Carl Nichols

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2012, 10:00:36 AM »
looks like a terrific day for golf.  have fun.

Robert West

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 01:47:28 PM »
Its perfect out here, no sun, hardly a breeze. we are just pulling in and i'm already curious  about real estate prices. Perhaps I should think about renting...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back