News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Eugene Country Club (pics)
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2014, 12:12:58 PM »
How old are the yardage books?  The drawings make the course look much less narrow/tree-lined than the pictures.

David Davis

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 12:16:49 PM »
Gray,

Thanks for this. It's a great tour indeed.

As you know I had the pleasure of playing my first round here this summer, be it in hard rain and wind. The course's irrigation is pretty top notch I'd say. I loved it and as I often say I'm not the biggest fan of parkland golf but Eugene as everyone can see from your tour has a great routing and very unique story with everything being flipped around.

What I would share with everyone is that the greens are really terrific and very very tricky, maybe even running a bit fast for the comfort of most.
Sharing the greatest experiences in golf.

IG: @top100golftraveler
www.lockharttravelclub.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2014, 12:41:52 PM »
I hope to be back in Oregon next year. A return to Bandon is definitely in order, and perhaps another go at Eugene. Any other courses you would recommend in Eugene?

Michael,
If you're coming from bend maybe consider playing tokatee up in the hills, but the only thing really worth checking out is probably Laurelwood, a nine hole design that may be worth seeing just because it's an interesting piece of property and a good example of designing a course for beginning golfers. I've heard great things about Shadow Hills but haven't seen it for myself.

But I'd get down to bandon as fast as possible. Outside of Eugene CC, Bandon crossings is better than any offerings in this area.

Forget Shadow Hills. Dead flat and uninteresting. Its claim to fame was hosting a Nationwide tour event for several years. I could never figure out how playing a course such as that would prepare you for courses with real bunkers, greens, etc. that one might encounter on the real tour.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2014, 02:26:24 PM »
I hope to be back in Oregon next year. A return to Bandon is definitely in order, and perhaps another go at Eugene. Any other courses you would recommend in Eugene?

Michael,
If you're coming from bend maybe consider playing tokatee up in the hills, but the only thing really worth checking out is probably Laurelwood, a nine hole design that may be worth seeing just because it's an interesting piece of property and a good example of designing a course for beginning golfers. I've heard great things about Shadow Hills but haven't seen it for myself.

But I'd get down to bandon as fast as possible. Outside of Eugene CC, Bandon crossings is better than any offerings in this area.

Emerald Valley is a strong course out of the Eugene CC mold.  You have to be a solid ball striker to play well there.   It's not too far outside Eugene.  Lots of trees.   

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2018, 04:50:15 PM »
Copied below is an article from the May 3, 1924 edition of the Eugene Guard which contained Egan's plan for the 18 hole course. 

In addition to Egan, there are two other names that warrant mention in connection with Eugene CC.  In 1923 George Junor was involved with the survey of the new property.  A bit later on in 1926 the club brought in A. V. Macan to suggest improvements. 

May 3, 1924 Eugene Guard -

March 20, 1923 Eugene Guard -

Aug. 11, 1926 Eugene Guard -

"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back