News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Matt Schoolfield

Longer walks, interludes, and reveals before par threes?
« on: January 02, 2024, 06:58:59 PM »
I really enjoyed the interlude thread and it got me thinking about pace of play. One of my favorite pieces of scholarly work on the subject is:

Riccio, Lucius. "Analyzing the pace of play in golf: the golf course as a factory." International Journal of Golf Science 1.2 (2012): 90-112.

In this piece Riccio specifically points to par three holes as distinct pinch points that increase wait time, due to their lower carry capacity. Now, I know that routing is extremely complex and primarily dictated by the land itself, but I was just wondering if any architects here would or do actually allow for more circuitous and interesting walks from green to tee when placing a par three. And especially in a high-to-low capacity change of, say, a long par five that sits just before a long par three.

It seems that a longer walk would reduce perceived pace issues in this scenario, much like how the Houston Airport increased the distance to baggage claim to reduce perceived wait time for bags, an architect could effectively give players something to do/see by giving them a longer walk if there is an obvious concern for potential carry capacity imbalance.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has thought of that or implemented it anywhere.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Longer walks, interludes, and reveals before par threes?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2024, 07:08:24 PM »
Matt, I know you are asking about the deliberate implementation of this.

But taking the question aside, you will probably find that walks to par-3 tees are on average shorter than to par-4’s and 5’s. This because par-3’s are able to traverse the most awkward topography on a site so you have more options for routing.

Back to the question, would it actually reduce wait time when the previous group also has to make the walk? I suspect you are just lengthening the round for all. The trailing group are not leaving the previous green any slower.

Matt Schoolfield

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2024, 07:53:33 PM »
would it actually reduce wait time when the previous group also has to make the walk? I suspect you are just lengthening the round for all. The trailing group are not leaving the previous green any slower.

Hmm... yes, I think you may be right. Adding a short walk should not effect the per-hour throughput of a hole. I suppose, at best, giving a longer walk with a view of the next tee could allow players to know they can take their time and enjoy the view and have a photo, rather than walk straight to the tee just to sit and wait.
GolfCourse.Wiki
Wigs on the Green
GCA Extension v2.0.1: Firefox/Chrome

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2024, 06:34:43 AM »
I suppose, at best, giving a longer walk with a view of the next tee could allow players to know they can take their time and enjoy the view and have a photo, rather than walk straight to the tee just to sit and wait.

Thereby potentially holding up everyone else playing behind them ?

Niall

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2024, 08:23:47 AM »
I really enjoyed the interlude thread and it got me thinking about pace of play. One of my favorite pieces of scholarly work on the subject is:

Riccio, Lucius. "Analyzing the pace of play in golf: the golf course as a factory." International Journal of Golf Science 1.2 (2012): 90-112.

In this piece Riccio specifically points to par three holes as distinct pinch points that increase wait time, due to their lower carry capacity. Now, I know that routing is extremely complex and primarily dictated by the land itself, but I was just wondering if any architects here would or do actually allow for more circuitous and interesting walks from green to tee when placing a par three. And especially in a high-to-low capacity change of, say, a long par five that sits just before a long par three.

It seems that a longer walk would reduce perceived pace issues in this scenario, much like how the Houston Airport increased the distance to baggage claim to reduce perceived wait time for bags, an architect could effectively give players something to do/see by giving them a longer walk if there is an obvious concern for potential carry capacity imbalance.

Anyway, just curious if anyone has thought of that or implemented it anywhere.
No I never think of that. Par 3 holes use the bits longer holes can't I would say and they are often the dramatic bits. I don't see it affects speed of play play though a 5 minute walk off a green to next tee is the same for the following group so no benefit. The airport analogy makes sense but not relevant to golf.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2024, 08:25:39 AM by Adrian_Stiff »
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2024, 11:53:09 AM »
The airport analogy makes perfect sense for all of those people who wait to hit from the tee, hit their drives, and then GET IN A CART AND RUSH UP TO THE FAIRWAY . . . so they can wait on the group in front to putt out!

If they were walking they wouldn't be waiting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back