News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Padraig Dooley

Golf in Ireland in the early 70s
« on: December 31, 2023, 04:03:49 PM »
https://ifiarchiveplayer.ie/golf-in-ireland/

Here’s a promotional video from the Irish Tourist Board made in the early 70s. Some very good footage.
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Golf in Ireland in the early 70s
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2023, 04:36:56 PM »
Thanks for posting, Padraig. Some great things in there.

Loved seeing the old clubhouse at The Island at 2.42, with the now defunct Malahide links course in the foreground.

And what a great green shape at Little Island at 4.36.

Also to see the old 8th green at Lahinch and Carlow as it was meant to be.

Padraig Dooley

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2023, 04:49:14 PM »
Thanks for posting, Padraig. Some great things in there.

Loved seeing the old clubhouse at The Island at 2.42, with the now defunct Malahide links course in the foreground.

And what a great green shape at Little Island at 4.36.

Also to see the old 8th green at Lahinch and Carlow as it was meant to be.

The green at Little Island is the 9th, back portion of the green was added shortly after this film and bunker added to the front left
There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.
  - Pablo Picasso

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2023, 06:00:10 PM »
Thanks for the link to this video. Good fun and a pleasure to watch O'Connor and Carr swing a golf club.

I wonder if the film was ever distributed and shown in the U.S. in the 1970's. The first promotion for golf in Ireland I can remember seeing in the U.S. was an article (with great photos of several courses) in Sports Illustrated in the early 1980's. That article inspired me to make my first golf trip to Ireland in 1984. I played 6 of the 9 courses featured in the video.   
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 07:12:14 PM by David_Tepper »

Greg Hohman

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2023, 06:56:18 PM »
Long before taking up golf, I lived on Threadneedle Road across from Galway GC in 1986-7, my last year at UCG, now the National University of Ireland, Galway. This is my first look at what was yards away. As I have written here before, I wish someone had proposed a game during my three years in Galway. Thanks for posting, Padraig.
newmonumentsgc.com

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2023, 07:09:15 PM »
Padraig,

Thanks for posting. That was a treat.
Tim Weiman

David_Tepper

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2023, 07:15:51 PM »
Found that SI article from June 1984.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1984/06/04/playing-ancient-games 

The internet is amazing.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2024, 04:08:17 AM »
Terrific stuff. Thanks for posting the link Padraig.
atb

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2024, 02:24:59 PM »
Long before taking up golf, I lived on Threadneedle Road across from Galway GC in 1986-7, my last year at UCG, now the National University of Ireland, Galway. This is my first look at what was yards away. As I have written here before, I wish someone had proposed a game during my three years in Galway. Thanks for posting, Padraig.

Greg - Galway is a gem.  Try to get back and see it sometime.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2024, 07:58:09 PM »
I had seen this previously. If I remember correctly Christ O made a few of these videos.  It was a much simpler time to play there on my first trip in the 80s
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Rory Connaughton

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2024, 10:41:41 AM »
Great to see CO playing 2 at Mullingar. A very underrated Braid.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2024, 11:20:02 AM »
Love this, even if the Irish Archives have recorded JBC as 'Jack' Carr. As always it's course conditioning and relatively rustic bunker presentation at venerable links like Portmarnock, Lahinch and Co Sligo that most stands out, along with the pace of the greens and (inland) the amount of width. The Welsh Tourist Board only cottoned on to golf over thirty years later, when the Ryder Cup was on the horizon, which is a shame as a similar-dated video from the principality would be likewise absolutely fascinating.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2024, 10:36:45 PM »
Great to see CO playing 2 at Mullingar. A very underrated Braid.

The bride's father at the fraternity wedding I attended in '86 was a member at Mullingar. We kept trying to get someone to take our money for the round -- only to later discover that the Colonel had already taken care of us!

Loved Joe Carr's white socks. A real fashion statement.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back