News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

Jay Flemma Called It!
« on: June 17, 2012, 10:30:08 PM »
A tip of the hat to Jay Flemma, who told me Friday afternoon at the Olympic Club that Webb Simpson was his pick to win the US Open. Well done sir!

Gib_Papazian

Re: Jay Flemma Called It!
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 11:58:05 PM »
Neal Meagher texted me last Tuesday night that Webb Simpson was going to win.

I've asked him for the winning lottery numbers and identity of who is destined to hold the Claret Jug.

McDowell needed me to read that putt on #18. There is a little spine that bisects the front of the putting surface that gives the optical illusion of a right-breaking putt from where he was. You just have to know that the green is contoured up towards the bunker past the hole and actually slides towards Lake Merced.

One thing Johnny Miller did not mention about Furyk's shot on #16 is that the USGA placed the tee almost where we play from the whites. Because the fairway was narrowed and brought in from the tree line on the right, you need to pinwheel one around the corner to find fairway - or find your ball in the deepest grass on the course. The dreaded "straight ball" is bad trouble because there is no angle off the tee from there and the box sets the players up straight at trouble.

My friend Mike Allen hung one out just a tick and we could not see his shoes, let alone the ball. We are all so proud of his performance though - I brought my daughter out so she could see an old guy who can still hang with the gunners on the big tour. Mike got a well-deserved standing ovation after he holed out. Hard to believe it has been 38 years since we played on the junior team there.

Ben Sims

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 12:10:12 AM »
Gib,

I'll never forget you and Neal egging me on to "hit a hook" from that tee box.  Two Hillary's later and I'm sitting pretty in front of of the green.  I can't imagine what the the guys on tour would have to to do with the rough brought in another 10 yards and the tee where it was today (also when I played there). 

What was the feeling amongst the members when you heard it was up that far?

By the way, good to see you posting.  I hope you're well.  Might be getting stationed back in NorCal soon.

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 12:53:12 AM »
Even I have to draw the ball from that tee. JF was right after the fact when he said he wished he had 2 iron 2 iron wedged the hole.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 02:06:54 AM »
I'll add to the kudos to these fellows that picked Simpson. 

While I didn't get to watch all the TV coverage of all the days, it seems this follows a similar pattern that TV barely covers the eventual winners quite often.  When Tiger booted it on Sat., and was shooting over par, they should have reprioritized the coverage to those shooting in the high 60s and under par. 

Side note; I didn't catch post mortem slightly blue comment by Nobilo on TGC, something about and old tour joke about coaching in the locker room... ?  Can anyone repeat it on this forum?   :D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 12:43:19 PM »
Thank you boys ;D Once again a devoutly religious man wins at Olympic. (I also wrote it in my preview, but even better, cleaned up in the writer's pool in media tent as the only guy to pick Webb.  ;D Drinks are on me to celebrate!  Come to NYC and look me up to collect:)

I parred 16 Monday with a great draw off the 572 yard tee, (which still ran a drop into the right rough...) a four iron down the fairway, a 6-iron into the bunker, a blast which was a good shot, but ran over the green and down the chipping swale...but then I canned the 50 foot putt from the fringe ;D No problem!  I had one other par on the day, ten...I also had three cold-tops, a few shots from the rough that went 100 yards max, and three Mindy Lawton-esque pushes into perdition, but had a barrel of fun. I played the 6480 yard "member tees" - they even have a special card for those as I hear the members really like that set of boxes.

I really had a lot of fun out there, but it w2asn;t as murderous as other courses I've played. I found it really fair, though the rough was murder in some places.

So who's everyone picking for Lytham? :D

PS David - sorry I couldn't get back to you in time to go out on the course, but my editor called and we were doling out assignments for the day.  It was really fun meeting everyone, though. You guys are the most fun to hang out with at the course:)

I gotta tell ya, I like the hot dogs even better than the burger dogs - bacon wrapped hot dogs? Sign me up!

Olympic was every bit of fun I hoped it was.  My favorite experience covering a tournament next to Oakmont and Hazeltine. When do we go back?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:05:45 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:51:50 PM »
Jay
Please kiss and tell and enlighten us on how you fiqured this long shot dark horse would win or was it just because he is devoutly religious and he had connection upstairs?

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 04:25:11 PM »
Westwood to win at Lytham..heard it here first. ;D

With one disclaimer, provided he does not get hosed by the side of the draw/weather.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2012, 01:00:13 PM »
Jay
Please kiss and tell and enlighten us on how you fiqured this long shot dark horse would win or was it just because he is devoutly religious and he had connection upstairs?

He really wasn't a long shot dark horse! He almost won the Fedex Cup and player of the year last year! 

Moreover, he fit the mold of winners at Olympic:  he has strength in every facet of the game, he's a plodder and grinder when he has to be, he can get red hot and go on birdie streaks, he has a phlegmatic demeanor...and yes, every guy that's won at Oly has been somewhat God Squad - Fleck attributed God speaking to him to his winning, Casper and Scott Simpson were so devout, they each gave 10% to their church, and I heard also the Janzen is deeply religious.  Plus, I've seen the guy play since college and gotten to know him a little - not a lot, a little, but enough to be deeply impressed with the first class way he approaches everything in his life.

I've done this before - remember who called Paddy in '07 at Carnoustie (I also wrote that he'd win at Birkdale if the wind blew and it did) - sometimes it's possible to narrow down some golf courses (not all, but some) to a select few guys...after that it's luck, I admit, but as Watson said, you make your own luck by being good.  I got lucky both times when other guys spit the bit on sunday.

But some courses are just so hard, you can eliminate most of the field right then and there.  Paddy said it - "I love hard courses, lots of guys psych themselves out before they even tee off..." and I heard at least three guys say that on the range and in the locker room during the week.  Furyk was one of them...

Here's something fun and interesting. I had forgotten - but I called Webb to win it back in December:

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=4059

Barring an injury or some unforeseen circumstance, that guy has what it takes to win four majors in six years and a career grand slam over all.  (not in one season).  He can play any golf course.

As for Lytham...it's really penal for a Rota course...it's sort of a hybrid thing - Birkdale's fairways meets Muirfield's bunkering. I need to study it more before I make a pick, but an American could win...or at least has a better chance than at some hardcore links like Carnasty or St. G's.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 01:07:17 PM by Jay Flemma »
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Jay Flemma

« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2012, 01:08:14 PM »
One last thing, Michael...I won't bet on Westy until he finally wins one.  I think the only way he wins his first major is to back into it.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2012, 01:14:24 PM »
Westwood to win at Lytham..heard it here first. ;D

With one disclaimer, provided he does not get hosed by the side of the draw/weather.

I already picked him this year. Any other suggestions? Justin Rose? Ian Poulter?
Mr Hurricane

Michael George

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 01:24:14 PM »
Jim:

Hunter Mahan
Sergio Garcia
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Jay Flemma

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2012, 12:11:20 PM »
Also, my girl Nancy gets the award for funniest line of Open week (well second funniest..."5-hour Agony" for Furyk was a good line too...)

She saw the picture and asked me, "Is that a hamburger disguised as a hot dog?"

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back