News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ryan Admussen

Lakeview (Mississauga) - Herbert Strong
« on: May 24, 2010, 09:13:40 PM »
Played Lakeview this afternoon based on recommendations of a few GCA members. The course is run by the city, pace of play is brutal, conditioning was better than expected.

It was done by Herbert Strong in 1907, from the little I've read it has gone largely unchanged over the years, it was also the host of two Canadian opens in 1923/34.

Looking back on the long par 5 5th

Short par 3 10th over the road

View from the 12th tee/green, sharp dog leg right, need to hit an iron out there to leave yourself a wedge to the extremely elevated green.

13th Green

The well guarded 15th green, sharp drop off on the left side.

The long and narrow 16th green

Another view of the 16th

The upper 17th green. This hole has an upper and lower green as well as two separate teeing areas

Ronald Montesano

Re: Lakeview (Mississauga) - Herbert Strong
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2010, 09:51:18 PM »
What was the freight?  Might be worth a trip over from Buffalo.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mac Plumart

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2010, 09:54:13 PM »
Ryan...man, that looks really nice!!!  You said pace of play was slow...I hope that didn't ruin it.  It looks pretty sweet!
Sportsman/Adventure loving golfer.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2010, 10:04:31 PM »
Ryan - yes, the pace of play there is almost always bad. Unfortunately, you probably got the worst of it today - our Victoria Day holiday Monday.
Ronald - haven't played it now in a couple of years, but the price has been inching up for a long time, maybe around $6O now. Yes, not too long a drive for you - if you time it right to miss rush hour and play in the middle of the week.
Peter

Matt Bosela

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2010, 10:07:17 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it Ryan - lots of cool golf there and that 15th green may be one of the best on the course with its right to left and front to back slope.

Enjoyed our early AM game today as well!

Sean_Tully

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »
How does this fit into the course that you played? Doesn't look like the current 16th??? a little more like the 17th. This photo is from 1921 and shows the new 16th under construction.  I don't more that what I have posted, sorry.  Just found the photo interesting and new that Strong had ties to the course.

Hope that some others can add to this! I would love to learn more about Strong!

Tully

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 11:29:13 PM »
Sean, I don't know Lakeview's history very well, but that's definitely 17 and I have a hard time imagining it ever having been anything but. The only way home from there is ~400 yards directly to the clubhouse.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2010, 05:52:07 AM »
Thanks for sharing those pictures. Its looks like the course is fairly well preserved, does anyone how close to the original design it is?

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 10:24:50 AM »
I suppose it must be just a coincidence but the essential topography of this course seems remarkably similar to Strong's Engineers GC in Roslyn, Long Island, New York.

I guess it might at least raise the question of whether Strong got into earth movement on a massive scale which seems somewhat unlikely given the era in which he worked.

While walking around Engineers the other day it took me about two holes to mention to the super that I sure would love to know if there is a PRE-construction topo contour map of the property done BEFORE Strong began to build (one source mentioned that Strong sometimes did his own surveying). Around a few greens such as the present 4th there looked to be a fairly obvious and fairly large cut and fill that seemed to match in size and quantity. It was not unlike the fairly apparent cut and fill on Piping Rock's #3 redan except that the cut and fill on that hole appears to be about 2-3 times larger in size and material. The latter, by the way, was done by Macdonald/Raynor in 1911-12 and it's not more than five miles from Engineers.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:37:46 AM by TEPaul »

Tim Taylor

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 10:33:21 AM »
Played it a few years ago while visiting my employees in Missiassauga. Fun track at a very fair price. I'd definitely go back.

Tim

Ryan Admussen

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 12:35:50 PM »
What was the freight?  Might be worth a trip over from Buffalo.

$68 on the weekends

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:09:20 PM »
Routing Drawing Circa 1970

Aerial Photo Circa 1947

Current Aerial

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:23:34 PM »
Some really great bunkering has been lost since the 1940s, and there has clearly been a major tree addition.

A couple of notable missing bunkers:

Left of 1 bunkering short-left of green to create likely visual deception. 

What it looks like today:

Very large diagonal bunkers over the carry hazard on two.  Matt Mackay and I commented on how cool it would be to have those bunkers restored.  The filled-in bunkers are still easily seen. Today:

All bunkering on 3 has been removed.  It is 9i par-3 of little interest or intimidation now.  I would love to see an old photo.  Again, the old bunker shaping is still clearly seen, waiting to be restored.

The two lost fairway bunkers right of 5 fairway are now so far in the rough that I couldn't understand their purpose (and didn't bother taking a picture).

Bunkering on 10 has been dumbed down.  Gulley on left looks like it was once a large bunker.

14 is still a great looking hole with clever bunkering.  It looks like it is the most intact hole on the course.

15 is another very solid hole, one of my favourites on the course.  Unfortunately, it is clear that several deceptive bunkers have been lost, though with less trees they have may have been used to protect against golfers trying to drive the green.

It is ver difficult to see the 2 or 20 17th in the aerial to see if the current grass bunkers were ever sand bunkers.  Here is how it looks today:

And the approach to the 18th:

Tom MacWood

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 06:38:50 AM »
Interesting photos, and I agree it is a shame what has happened to Strong's bunkers. I hadn't known this course dates back to 1907 or 1911. I'm pretty sure Strong overhauled the course in 1921.

Tim Johnson

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 10:55:03 AM »
17 is one of my favorite holes, when playing the upper deck the hole is only 95 yds to a very small landing area. Only played 4 times but I always hope the Upper tee is open, never landed safely but it always fun trying to guess it right.

Matt Bosela

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
The 18th is one tough SOB too!  Neat course with great bones...with a little work it could be something special.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back