News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

Re: Topp's Travels Live - June 2012 - Destination (?)
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2012, 08:19:58 PM »
In the Tokyo hotel.  Visiting an old friend today.

Jason Topp

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2012, 01:06:11 PM »
It was a Magical day touring Tokyo with a law scool friend.

I take the train to Kawana this evening.  I am making this trip solo.   It sounds like the switch from bullet to the local train is my best chance at disaster.  In Tokyo not knowing the language is not much of a hinderence. It sounds like i may need to rely on pantomimeif I miss a train somewhere outside of the city. 

Jason Topp

Jason Topp

Re: Topp's Travels Live - June 2012 - Destination Kawana
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2012, 01:17:32 PM »
If a friend suggests you eat something that looks like squid intestines in Tokyo, just know it will be an unpleasant experience. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2012, 02:11:37 PM »
If a friend suggests you eat something that looks like squid intestines in Tokyo, just know it will be an unpleasant experience. 

After my first trip to Japan, I started saying a polite, but firm, no thanks to dishes like that.

Hard for me to visit Tokyo without going here.  Nothing fancy about kamameshi, but for someone who doesn't really like seafood (like me), it's a real treat. 
http://www.torigin-ginza.co.jp/eng.html

Will be interested to hear about the golf. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2012, 03:13:37 PM »
I am in Tokyo, back from Kawana.  I will do a full write up and photo tour later but my short review is that Kawana features outstanding architecture at one of the most spactacular locations on earth. 

Jason Topp

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
For a course to be categorized as great, I believe it must (1) have a sound, strategic design, (2) offer a unique challenge and (3) provide a feeling that you are in a special place.  By these criteria, Kawana squarely meets the definition of greatness.  The course poses strategic questions throughout the round.  The steep nature of the site, the dramatic green surrounds and deep bunkers and the thick grass used in fairways and around the greens pose a unique challenge.   The natural setting of the course is spectacular and its construction takes advantage of interesting terrain and varied weather complimented with dramatic green surrounds and hazards to provide a unique feeling of place.

Tom Doak included Kawana on his list of 31 Flavors in the Confidential Guide.  He provided two asterisks to his position.  First he indicated that alternate greens were used on 15 of 18 holes.  On my visit none of them were used and it appeared that many were not being used regularly.  Doak also discussed the grass used on the greens which he described as extraordinarily coarse and grainy.  I suspect that grass has been replaced because the greens provided nice surfaces that I would estimate stimped in the 8 foot range and contained significant but not overwhelming grain.

Because many people on this site will never visit Kawana and I found it such a charming course, I will depart from my usual practice and provide a complete photo tour.  In order to enjoy the course you first need to make arrangements which involves (1) booking a room at the resort and (2) making a tee time.  I booked the room through the internet.  http://www.princehotels.co.jp/kawana-e/  I did not succeed at making a tee time over the web and had to do so by phone.  The time difference from CDT is 14 hours so it takes some planning to determine a decent time to call.

Next one needs to get to the resort.  From Tokyo, you take a train from Tokyo Station to Atima and then switch to a local train to Kawana.  You then take a two mile cab ride to the resort.  My friend Hitoshi kindly assisted me with purchasing the tickets.  Nonetheless, I had two logistical issues with the trip.  First, I had some trouble deciphering the signs:

Second, I had no Japanese money and could not find an ATM that would work for me.  I had hoped that the cab would accept a credit card but it did not.  Not knowing what to do or how to explain my predicament without any Japanese language skills, I decided to hop in a cab without explanation and figure out how to deal with paying for the cab at the destination rather than a couple of miles away.    Fortunately, the hotel kindly allowed me to charge the cab fare to my room.

The hotel itself is a magical spot that felt a bit musty in comparison with the gleaming buildings of Tokyo.  Within its walls were a number of discoveries.  Joe Dimaggio was apparently a guest at one point:

It is tough to turn this sign down:

Particularly when a climb up several floors of stairs yields views like these:

On a clear day. Mt. Fuji completes the scene but unfortunately was hidden during my visit.

I will get to the course shortly.

Jason Topp

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2012, 04:26:34 PM »
Minnesota - Toronto - Tokyo?

Delta couldn't you through Seattle?

For $500 extra dollars

Jason Topp

The start:

When your caddie looks like this and it is not raining, expect to get wet during the round:

1 – 415/409

The opening hole drops 30 yards from tee to fairway.  The second is uphill with the ocean as a backdrop:

2 – 411/397

The tee shot is protected on the right by a bunker and the ocean:

Approach is more open from the right:

Shot from the hotel tower gives perspective on the entire hole:

Alison’s original design appears largely intact with the exception of narrowed fairways.  It would be nice to get rid of the trees on the right:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 07:19:44 PM by Jason Topp »

Jason Topp

3rd 420/450

Par five that is sharply uphill.  None of my pictures of this hole turned out well.

Alison's plan for the hole:

Staggerred bunkers protect aggressive tee shots:

4th 482/468

Par five that plays shorter than the third.  Trees give impression the hole is tighter than it is.  Things widen out in the landing zone:

Nicely designed green that poses a decision-making dilemma if a player faces a long second.  I elected to lay up with an iffy lie:

I placed this bunker rake (chest high) to give a sense of the severity of the bunkers and surrounds.  Many green complexes are similarly severe.

5th 181/181

Perhaps one of the more mundane holes on the course but the setting and the wind (into from the right) make the hole very memorable:

View looking back:

Jason Topp

6 434/404

Strong uphill dogleg right.  Tee shot view is a bit confusing:

This picture from the right of the green shows why you want to approach from the right:

However uneven lies and a bunker protect the corner:

7 – 393/330

One of my favorites.  Tee shot looks like you are playing to a cratered surface on the moon:

This view of the split fairway does not add to the comfort:

Terrific Green:

View looking back:

Jason Topp

8 – 150/145

Solid short par 3

You can barely see the edge of a deep bunker hidden to the left of the green:

9 – 367-308

Another alternate fairway hole with high ground on right over the trees providing a better angle.  

Hole is short enough that the advantage is not that great.

10 – 143/143

Some similarity to 8 but wind direction and severity of green complex makes for a very different hole:

11 - 619/568

Epic par five along Cliffside, particularly into the wind and the (now) driving rain:

Tee shot:

Two tiered green with lighthouse behind:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 08:54:46 PM by Jason Topp »

Jason Topp

12- 404/384

A very cool dogleg left wrapping around the cliffside.  Ground slings the tee ball left down the fairway.  This picture is taken from about 100 yards off the tee:

Severe green complex means you want as short an approach as is possible:

13 – 395/347

Looks like a nothing hole off the tee:

However, bunkers threaten the tee shot on the direct line:

And nasty bunkers protect the green:

14 – 416/366

Sharp dogleg right:

Very severe bunker guards the corner:

Green opens up from the right:

15 – 470/470

One of the best spots in the world for a tee shot:

Most need to carry the corner to reach the green in two as the second is sharply uphill:

Obligatory tourist picture – rain is pelting my face:

View of two tiered green from behind:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 10:28:55 PM by Jason Topp »

Jason Topp

16 – 185/172

Three way ocean views from the tee:

And then there is the golf hole, that looks a bit like 6 at Royal Dornoch or the 6th[? check] at Palmetto:

However this bunker awaits if you miss long left:

17 – 410/388

Significantly uphill hole that plays a good 30-40 yards longer than the number on the card:

Fairway bunker should be out of play for most but not for me:

Approach needs to carry two bunkers or bail out left:

Green from left:

18 – 366-342

Uphill closer with fairway guarded on both sides by bunkers:

The approach must be precise as the green is raised around 10 feet:

Looking back:

An opportunity for serenity on the way back to the clubhouse:

« Last Edit: June 14, 2012, 11:04:22 PM by Jason Topp »

Jason Topp

Many of you have heard that the experience of golf in Japan is an all day affair and different from other countries.  Here are decisions I had to make and what I would do if I did it again:

1.  Caddie - definitely take one (may be required).  Wonderful unique experience and well worth the cost in the rain in particular.

2.  Rental Clubs - I wish I would have gone to the trouble of bringing my set.  I asked for stiff shafts but the set I got was extremely whippy.  It was primarily a problem off the tee.

3.  Lunch - I understand it is traditional to stop for a long lunch at the midway point of the round.  Kawana gave me the option of stopping for lunch or continuing onward and I embraced tradition.  I was the only person who did so.  There was a perfectly acceptable halfway house at the turn and all of the Japanese customers bought something there rather than return to the clubhouse.  The experience of lunch itself was not that unique.  It was lunch.  If I were hosted by a local I would have done whatever the host suggested.

4.  Post Round Bath - a truly unique experience.  I was not at all sure what to do.  My friend told me that the two ways I could mess up would be to (1) not clean myself before entering the bath or (2) allow a towel to touch the bath.   Apparently what one should do is go to the area near the sinks to change clothes rather than at the lcoker.  You then go into the rooom with the baths and shower while sitting down in these tiny seats located along the walls.  At that point you get in the water.   The most surprising part about this experience was seeing a worker attending to the room. The worker was a woman.  No one else seemed in the least surprised.

Jason Topp

One other oddity about the course.  There is a terrific looking green next to the cliffs above the ocean behind the 11th green ant 12th tee.  It looks like a fabulous potential par three but it does not appear to be used and does not appear to fit as an alternate green on any existing hole.  I have no idea why it is there and no idea why there is not a golf hole on this prime land.

Jason Topp

Some pictures that do not focus on the golf course:

« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 06:12:16 AM by Jason Topp »

Mike Hamilton

Thanks for the great tour Jason...looks like a fantastic trip.  Does it always rain when you golf?

Tom_Doak

Jason:

Did you go and see the small second course [the Ohshima] while you were there?  I missed it the first time but went to have a look a couple of years ago.  There are a couple of crazy holes and some very steep slopes, but it looked like a blast.

RJ_Daley

ONe of the most striking aspects of Jason's photos to me is that the extremely flashed up bunkers and stylized lips and edges in such a rainy climate.  Yet, the entire course seems like an advanced course in turf care and mowing techniques.  The crew must be enormous to tend to this course with such obviously meticulous care.  And, it appears that there may have only been a hand full of other players on the course when Jason played.  I wonder if they space tee times with very long periods in between teeing off groups?  I am enjoying the club house historical photos as much, and wonder what exact events some of the group photos depict. 

I'll have many more questions for you next month, Jason, hoping to see you and Claire at Lafayette Club.  ;D 8)
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Jason Topp

Jason:

Did you go and see the small second course [the Ohshima] while you were there?  I missed it the first time but went to have a look a couple of years ago.  There are a couple of crazy holes and some very steep slopes, but it looked like a blast.

Tom:

I walked around a couple of holes but did not spend much time there.  I should have given it a look.

Jason Topp

ONe of the most striking aspects of Jason's photos to me is that the extremely flashed up bunkers and stylized lips and edges in such a rainy climate.  Yet, the entire course seems like an advanced course in turf care and mowing techniques.  The crew must be enormous to tend to this course with such obviously meticulous care.  And, it appears that there may have only been a hand full of other players on the course when Jason played.  I wonder if they space tee times with very long periods in between teeing off groups?  I am enjoying the club house historical photos as much, and wonder what exact events some of the group photos depict. 

I'll have many more questions for you next month, Jason, hoping to see you and Claire at Lafayette Club.  ;D 8)

RJ -There were about three hours of tee times spaced 10 minutes apart.  The reason the course appears empty in some of the pictures is that I took many of them at 5 am when I woke up with jet lag and decided to walk around.  I suspect there is a lot more play at peak times. 

As to the pictures the labels were in Japanese so someone else will need to tell you what they depict.

Jason Topp

Thanks for the great tour Jason...looks like a fantastic trip.  Does it always rain when you golf?

It seems like it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back