News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom MacWood

Colt, Mackenzie, Alison, Thomas, Hunter and Simpson all wrote books on golf architecture. Hotchkin, Thompson, Langford, and Fowler produced pamphlets on the subject. Flynn wrote a series of articles which were in essence a pamphlet. Macdonald, Braid, Taylor, Campbell, Park and others wrote books that touched on golf architecture. Ross apparently produced a manuscript, which was eventually turned into a book.

Tillinghast may have been the most prolific writer of them all, but he never produced a book or pamphlet. Why?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 11:24:37 PM by Tom MacWood »

Tom_Doak

Re: Why didn't Tillinghast write a book on golf architecture?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 06:28:07 AM »
Colt, Mackenzie, Alison, Thomas, Hunter and Simpson all wrote books on golf architecture. Hotchkin, Thompson, Langford, and Fowler produced pamphlets on the subject. Flynn wrote a series of articles which were in essence a pamphlet. Macdonald, Braid, Taylor, Campbell, Park and others wrote books that touched on golf architecture. Ross apparently produced a manuscript, which was eventually turned into a book.

Tillinghast may have been the most prolific writer of them all, but he never produced a book or pamphlet. Why?

Tom:

Didn't Tillinghast write a whole bunch of articles for one of the golf magazines of the day?

I don't know why they didn't compile those into a book, but he probably thought the regular magazine exposure was more valuable.

Tom MacWood

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 06:40:19 AM »
He did write a lot. I think its fair to say more than any of the others, but for a good number of years it was under a pseudonym.

TEPaul

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:49:52 AM »
"Tillinghast may have been the most prolific writer of them all, but he never produced a book or pamphlet. Why?"

Perhaps for the reason he wrote so prolifically on golf architecture elsewhere----in so many newspapers and maganizes (one of which he was the editor).

The same question could be asked of Max Behr----why didn't he ever write a book on architecture and the same reason probably applies----eg he wrote so much about architecture elsewhere including in magazines, one of which he was also the editor!

Tom MacWood:

Do you still believe, as you once stated on a thread you started on here, that as a result of Tillinghast's architectural work in the 1930s for the PGA that he sold out his soul and his golf architectural principles? Do you still believe, as you implied on a few Pine Valley threads, that due to Tillinghast's published story of George Crump discovering Pine Valley from a train, that Tillinghast was a liar?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 09:56:47 AM by TEPaul »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 10:00:15 AM »
Wasn't the Tillie Trilogy really a compilation of his articles?
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 10:01:07 AM »
There's a three-volume collection of Tillie's essays, put together by Rick Wolffe. Bob Trebus and Stuart Wollfe, published as though they were intended to be books by Tillinghast: "The Course Beautiful," "Reminiscenses of the Links" and "Gleanings From the Wayside," all published between 1995-2001. Each is illustrated with black and white photos, drawings and hole plans. I can't say why Tillinghast didn't publish these short essays in book form himself, but he might as well have.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 10:15:16 AM »
Come to think of it, I know exactly why Tillinghast didn't publish a book, and just wrote articles.  It's the same reason I spend time on Golf Club Atlas, but have taken 11 years to get back to my book on Pacific Dunes ... it's because during the boom period I was just too busy with projects to concentrate for long enough to put a book together.

Writing a book is not as easy as people make it out to be.  Lots more people start books than finish them.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 10:30:10 AM »

Just a wild guess:

Because writing books is damned hard, very labor-intensive, and not usually lucrative. Maybe that didn't appeal to Tilly's ideas of time well spent.

As Dr. Johnson said: Only a fool ever wrote for anything but money.

I disagree with the good Dr. -- but sympathize with his viewpoint.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

TEPaul

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 10:37:21 AM »
"Writing a book is not as easy as people make it out to be.  Lots more people start books than finish them."

TomD:

Writing a book is really not that hard if you go about it the way I did. My job was a co-author and eventually as an editor with Wayne Morrison on the first Flynn biography (The Nature Faker). What I did is simply procrastinate endlessly so he wrote about 99.9% of the book which ended up at something like 2,278 pages. And when it got over about 700 pages I positively refused to act as an editor of a book that large.

But I did contribute about ten really good pages to it!!!!

In the beginning the book was going to say "By Wayne Morrison AND Tom Paul. When I started dragging my feet on the writing he demoted me to have the book read "By Wayne Morrison WITH Tom Paul." And when I refused to edit it when it got too large he basically fired me altogther so the book would read "By Wayne Morrison." But somehow something changed and for reasons I cannot now explain or recall when it came out it was back to "By Wayne Morrison AND Tom Paul."

However, I do take some credit for suggesting the title of the book simply because I felt it had an interesting and unusual ring to it. And of course, during some extensive interviews, Flynn's daughter did explain to us that her father regularly referred to himself as "The Nature Faker." And I also thought the name "Faker" had a sort of comical or even vaguely sexual connotation to it particularly if one of perhaps German extraction pronounced it "Focker." And lastly, I absolutely loved how David Moriarty revealed that one of the etymologies of the word "Faker" was some kind of an artistic "fraud" or some such!!   ;) ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:47:37 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 10:39:26 AM »
Tilly did write two books which are collections of amusing fictional tales. I'm pretty sure those stories originally appeared as magazine articles. So he obviously was not opposed to compiling his articles. Speaking of compilations Mackenzie's Spiriti of St. Andrews was for the most part a collection of previously published articles.

Here is a link to Tilly's books. As you can see at the end it mentions a rare pamphlet he put out in 1917. I believe that pamphlet was compilation of little articles he wrote about holes he had designed or redesigned, with diagrams (Shaxamaxon, Bedford Springs, Breckenridge Park, etc). I think that pamphlet was done in conjunction with a grass seed company/course construction company. Carters?

http://valuablebook.wordpress.com/2009/05/03/golf-books-by-aw-tillinghast/

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 10:44:30 AM »
TD,

I know.  I started a book, but have reverted to columns.  Seeing Pete Dye's "Bury Me in a Pot Bunker" on the discount tables for $2 or seeing RTJ II handing out his book to anyone for any reason to get them out of his basement was enough to convince me.  And, the standards to get a book like yours published can be pretty daunting.  My consolation is that the columns, at $425 per month, have given me some pin money over the last six years.  I am finishing next months column right now, and it probably nets me $70 per hour by the time I edit my ramblings down to 650 words per month (More if I just take the easy way out and make it a two parter)

It occurs to me that blogs are the new columns, and books will be less and less frequently done in golf design.  I think I missed my chance to be a big time golf writer on the side.  Others beat me to the book, and Ian Andrew has a jump on me in the new wave!

Also sort of OT but related, Ross and Tilly both had books made out of their writings.  The Ross book was heavily edited to make it easier to read (presumably he would have had an editor anyway, he just got his posthumously) while the Tillie articles were presented in book form "unvarnished" (or largely so).

Which do we think is the better method?

TEPaul

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 10:49:53 AM »
Tom MacWood:

In reference to your #9, what is a "spiriti?"

Is it perhaps some kind of spirit of Italian or Spanish extraction?

Should we call Mackenzie's book "The Spiriti of Santo Andrewini?"
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 10:54:33 AM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 10:57:01 AM »
TD,

I know.  I started a book, but have reverted to columns.  Seeing Pete Dye's "Bury Me in a Pot Bunker" on the discount tables for $2 or seeing RTJ II handing out his book to anyone for any reason to get them out of his basement was enough to convince me.  And, the standards to get a book like yours published can be pretty daunting.  My consolation is that the columns, at $425 per month, have given me some pin money over the last six years.  I am finishing next months column right now, and it probably nets me $70 per hour by the time I edit my ramblings down to 650 words per month (More if I just take the easy way out and make it a two parter)

It occurs to me that blogs are the new columns, and books will be less and less frequently done in golf design.  I think I missed my chance to be a big time golf writer on the side.  Others beat me to the book, and Ian Andrew has a jump on me in the new wave!

Also sort of OT but related, Ross and Tilly both had books made out of their writings.  The Ross book was heavily edited to make it easier to read (presumably he would have had an editor anyway, he just got his posthumously) while the Tillie articles were presented in book form "unvarnished" (or largely so).

Which do we think is the better method?

What exactly Golf Has Never Let me Down was or is has remained pretty much a mystery to me. The story at the time, a lost manuscript was found by David Gordon, son of the late William Gordon, and the book produced by Whitten was a cleaned up version of that manuscript.

I think what is more likely, they found a proposed pamphlet, probably made early in Ross's career, and the book is repackaging of the pamphlet with the addition of some of his other writings. I'd love to see the unedited version of the manuscript.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:04:53 AM by Tom MacWood »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2012, 11:02:30 AM »

Just a wild guess:

Because writing books is damned hard, very labor-intensive, and not usually lucrative. Maybe that didn't appeal to Tilly's ideas of time well spent.

As Dr. Johnson said: Only a fool ever wrote for anything but money.

I disagree with the good Dr. -- but sympathize with his viewpoint.

That could be, but one gets the impression most architects wrote books to help their more lucrative design careers.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2012, 11:21:20 AM »
TMac,

No doubt it was a loss leader for most.....

I know that material was turned over to Ron Whitten.  There is still a chance he still has it, or maybe Ross's daughter gave him copies and kept the originals.  Don't recall the details other than Gordon called ASGCA one day and said that before he threw it out, he wondered if it had any value to anyone!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:23:30 AM by Jeff_Brauer »

TEPaul

« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2012, 11:58:40 AM »
Now that I cogitate on this thread's question a bit more it occurs to me that Tillinghast did write a book on golf course architecture. It appears under one of his many pseudonyms------sometimes appearing as "Phil the Author" and sometimes appearing as just "Phil Young."

TEPaul

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2012, 12:04:31 PM »
"What exactly Golf Has Never Let me Down was or is has remained pretty much a mystery to me."

Tom:

One reason that Ross manuscript (and eventually a book) has remained a mystery to you might be because it is actually called "Golf Has Never Failed Me" and not "Golf Has Never Let Me Down."

You really are some kind of piece of work, MacWood. At this point, I think I probably need to ask you the same question you asked me a few days ago----to wit: Did you fall down and suffer a head injury? I think that question is appropriate and an answer to it is necessary simply because for a man who has called himself on here constantly 'an expert researcher/writer' you are definitely the most inarticulate "expert writer" I have ever seen or ever heard of!   ;)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:07:56 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2012, 12:19:53 PM »
TMac,

No doubt it was a loss leader for most.....

I know that material was turned over to Ron Whitten.  There is still a chance he still has it, or maybe Ross's daughter gave him copies and kept the originals.  Don't recall the details other than Gordon called ASGCA one day and said that before he threw it out, he wondered if it had any value to anyone!

I did speak to RW about that and he said he no longer had a copy. I got the impression the whole project left a very bad taste in his mouth because of the issues with the Ross family.

JMEvensky

« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2012, 12:27:01 PM »
Now that I cogitate on this thread's question a bit more it occurs to me that Tillinghast did write a book on golf course architecture. It appears under one of his many pseudonyms------sometimes appearing as "Phil the Author" and sometimes appearing as just "Phil Young."

I was wondering when someone would mention Philip Young since he would know more about AWT than anyone else opining on this thread.

TEPaul

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2012, 12:54:35 PM »
"I was wondering when someone would mention Philip Young since he would know more about AWT than anyone else opining on this thread."

Jeff, you magnificant Tennessean, you-----from a lot of past experience with most of the participants on here, including Tom MacWood----I really don't believe Tom MacWood would ever admit that Philip Young knows more about Tillinghast, or anything else to do with the history of golf course architecture, than he does. One must remember the multiple times Tom MacWood has accused Phil the Author of being factually incorrect about many of the things Phil has said and written about A.W. Tillinghast!

I'm not sure one could say that MacWood thinks he knows more about Tillinghast than anyone else to the same extent that David Moriarty thinks he knows more about Merion's history than anyone else, but with some careful consideration one could probably come to the conclusion they are both running neck and neck at this point!

Now, would you please excuse me while I go out and mow the lower forty.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 12:56:26 PM by TEPaul »

Tom MacWood

« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2012, 01:22:59 PM »
Here is a link to Tilly's pamphlet from the Tillinghast Association website:

http://www.tillinghast.net/Tillinghast/1917_Planning_files/Planning%20a%20Golf%20Course.pdf

JMEvensky

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2012, 11:45:49 AM »
From Phil Young:

Thank you for that nice compliment on Tom Macwood's TD asking why Tillinghast never wrote a book? I see that he CHANGED the title as it had included the pharse "or pamphlet." The reason that he changed this must be due to a realization that Tilly DID write a "pamphlet." It was published in 1917 under the title "Planning A Golf Course." A copy of this can be seen on the Tillinghast Association website. I discovered this copy and scanned it during a research trip and it is only the 5th known to exist. The last one sold at auction for more than $40,000. It is a compilation of a number of articles that he wrote for the journal "The Golf Course" which ran from1916 onward for several years. It was published by Peterson, Sinclair & Miller "in conjunction with Carter's tested seeds."

As to why he didn't write a book, one needs to look at Tilly's ENTIRE life to understand this. Yes, he was incredibly busy designing courses, but very few people know the full extent. For example, we can identify just under 100 courses that he originally designed, yet in 1934 Tilly wrote that he had "designed and built several hundred courses..." during his career. That means that there are more out there that are unknown than known. In May, 1924, an article in that months edition of The Canadian Golfer magazine reported that "Mr. Tillinghast, who has no fewer than 51 courses at present under construction or improvement in the states this year..." Can any of the architects on this board even consider what it would take to have 51 jobs ubderway in a single year today? Imagine back then when travel was brutally difficult and the closest thing to a computer was a pencil & paper.

Without question Tilly may have been the busiest architect during those years. He was so busy that he stopped publishing advertisements for his work for long stretches of time during this period.
Tom Doak appreciates a portion of the reason (in my opinion) in recognizing that it really is a difficult thing to create a meaningful book. It was even more difficult 100 years ago when it was a hand-written process without the use of computers, spell-check, etc... In those days an Editor REALLY earned their money. Remember, Tilly also was the Editor at a number of newspapers and magazines during these same years.

I believe that the real answer lay in what Tilly enjoyed most OUTSIDE of the golf architecture profession. When one understands this it becomes quite clear that whether he had a desire to write a book or books on golf architecture or not, he simply had many better and more pleasurable things in his life to involve himself with that took up a great deal of his time. Here are a few of them:

1- Tilly owned and operated a quite active antiques business. He would have three different stores during the teens & 20s. This was a life-long passion of his and would end up with he & his wife opening one with Nedda Harrington on Rodeo Drive in 1938. His business was large and successful enough that galleries held major auctions of his collections throughout the 1920s & 30s. A number of these were advertised in the New York Times and elsewhere.
2- His passion for photography remained a constant throughout his life. In the mid-teens Walter Travis wrote how everywhere that tilly went, to every golf course and tournament, Tilly would bring his camera and dark room equipment. (Yes he did his own developing) A great many of the early, unattributed photos found in American golfer were taken by Tilly. He would also be captivated by motion pictures. In the early 19230s Ben Hogan spent a week with him at his Harrington Park home. Tilly filmed Hogan's swing and then, after developing it, went over it with Hogan one frame at a time. These films would end up being lost to time when a fire destroyed the barn where all of his documents, drawings, etc.. were being stored on the Philip Brown Farm in 1952, 10 years after he died.
3- He travelled with his wife quite often throughout their lives until he died. He owned a summer home in Shawnee from 1902 onward which the family spent a great deal of time at. Once their daughters were grown, especially from the late teens onward, Lillian accompanied him on most of his design trips. For example, when he went to California in 1919 and spent the early winter redesigning sand greens to grass ones at a number of courses and finished up this swing at SFGC in December & January, his wife Lillian was with him. It was at that time that the wonderful photograph of her standing and pointing at the monuments for the Duel which inspired the name for the 7th hole at SFGC was taken. They also visited their daughter and son-in-law, the Browns, at least once a year in Minnesota. Lillian also travelled with him during the 2+ years of the PGA Course Consultation Tour.
4- He was a "Broadway Angel" in the early 1920s, investing in a number of flops, none of which amounted to anything. Still, he was fascinated by the theatre, movies and everything to do with show business. It is no surprise that he designed the private estate course for Adolf Zukor that Jim Urbina is restoring/renovating to day and is known as the Paramount CC. He went to Broadway from is various New Jersey residences through the years to enjoy both plays and movies, something that he would also enjoy doing by bringing his granddaughter Barbara along with him when his wife didn't choose to go. He was also fascinated by those in the acting induistry and so also spent a great deal of time entertaining many of these at his home in Harrington Park.
5- The Tillinghats both enjoyed spending time with the grand-children which is why the Worden's would end up next door to them in harrington Park where Tilly built a house for them.
6- In additon to all of that, after his father, B.C. Tillinghast, died in 1918, he also inherited the Tillinghast Rubber Goods Company. It would remain viable and open until Tilly's wife Lillian closed the last store in 1947, 5 years after Tilly himself died.

Tilly enjoyed a very rich and enjoyable life outside of golf architecture and simply wasn't motivated to, nor did he have the desire to take away time from this, in order to write a book. From his perspective he may have felt that he had already written a number of books. As the Tillinghast timeline will show (it is well along now and we hope to have it publishable soon) he wrote far more than of what most are aware. He often did series of articles on golf architecture design, philosophies, etc... throughout his career.

I hope this helps in understanding an answer to this question. If anyone has any questions regading this or about Tilly feel free to email me at philwritesbooks@aol.com. I'll be more than happy to answer them if I can.

Phil Young
www.goldenageresearch.com

TEPaul

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
JeffE:

Congratulations and welcome to the new and wonderful world of total tech-saviness!

TEPaul

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2012, 12:24:29 PM »
51 projects in a single year (1924)?! Crimee Eel Tongues, if that's a fact, that's got to be a world record for any architect in any one year. Something tells me Tom MacWood may question that! I'd wager he will say if one can't produce a list from Tillinghast supporting it, it can't possibly be true, and therefore it is a virtual fact that it's a lie.   ;)

By the way, I just found a letter from a Mrs Callabash of Clementon NJ stating that towards the end of 1911 or the beginning of 1912 she personally observed George Crump A. Crump sitting next to A.W. Tillinghast who was observing Crump gazing out the window of the train at what would become Pine Valley. And in her letter she added that Crump said to Tillinghast; "Hazard, that topography looks very interesting; I think I will drive back over there and check it out for a golf course."
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 12:35:21 PM by TEPaul »

Chris Buie

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back