News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

Re: What do you do on the golf course that others may consider rude?
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2012, 12:44:49 PM »
Is it considered taboo not to replace a divot that has sprayed into numerous tiny pieces impossible to collect adequately?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

JLahrman

« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2012, 01:01:11 PM »
Ready golf.

If I go to the course alone, and get paired with someone who is in a cart by himself, I'm not going to ride along.

I stop to take pictures if it's a course that I haven't seen profiled here.

If I'm paired with strangers, I generally don't ask much about them or do a whole bunch of small talk. Unless they have a headcover from a private club that I'd like to play.

John McCarthy

« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2012, 01:06:35 PM »
I rush.  Not in the "C'mon, lemme play through!" manner John describes.  I don't do it to hurry anyone along.

It's just that I'm completely devoid of anything resembling a pre-shot 'routine'.  Few if any practice swings and never a practice stoke on the green.  I'm often hitting while the guy before me is still sighing heavily.  It's very common for someone to realize they are talking in my follow-through, at which point they apologize and I have to assure them it didn't bother me a bit.

But the fact that I'm consistently having such conversations indicates to me that it's more 'me' than 'you' and therefore rude.

I think it was borne out of a youthful fear/dislike of slow play.
But even though I'm middle-aged and actually want to slow down and enjoy things, I fail to do actually do it.

Gotta keep working on that...

I do the same thing and I know exactly where I get it from.  I caddied as a youth and they let us play after 5 pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays.  If you hustled you could get 27 in before dark.  God forbid if you held up a group - fights were not unknown.  I'm pretty small so fast play was for self preservation more than anything else. 

The only way of really finding out a man's true character is to play golf with him. In no other walk of life does the cloven hoof so quickly display itself.
 PG Wodehouse

Bill Seitz

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2012, 01:15:18 PM »

It is rude to carry logo's on permanent fixtures of play where you are not a member.

I may as well come clean and admit that I don't actually play for the Los Angeles Angels, as my headcover might suggest. :)

Jay Flemma

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2012, 01:46:23 PM »
I will play out of turn on the tee box.  If someone looks at me funny, I usually say I play ready golf unless someone makes a birdie - then I have to honor the birdie.  Irony is, if someone does make a birdie, I will not hit first (even if they tell me too because of fear of bad voodoo :-)).

Paul I have the same superstition...never steal the honors from a birdie, ready golf or no.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Sean Leary

« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2012, 01:58:32 PM »
wear spandex bike shorts....

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
John K:

Since Butler has two versions of their logo (one for members and one for guest purchases), its not your fault the guy didn't recognize which was which. 

I think there's a fine line between fast/ready golf and being rude.  It generally depends on the group you're playing with and whether or not there's a match going on.  When its a friendly round, I have no problem walking ahead, playing out of turn or taking the tee if I'm the first one there.  Playing faster means getting in more golf, which is never a bad thing.  But if I'm playing a match or a guest , the last thing I want to do is ruffle the feathers of an opponent or host that wants to abide by "proper" etiquette.

For all the lefties out there, us righties often forget to adjust where we are standing when you're on the tee.  No offense, we just aren't accustomed to the left side of the tee box being in the sight lines.
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Mark McKeever

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »
I will play out of turn on the tee box.  If someone looks at me funny, I usually say I play ready golf unless someone makes a birdie - then I have to honor the birdie.  Irony is, if someone does make a birdie, I will not hit first (even if they tell me too because of fear of bad voodoo :-)).

Paul I have the same superstition...never steal the honors from a birdie, ready golf or no.

Sorry, I should be more specific.  I tend to play honors on the tee, but I play ready golf until I am on the green assuming people have their different angles of play.  Once on the green, I will play by who is away.  Sort of my hybrid way of picking up the pace of play.

Mark
Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2012, 02:38:48 PM »
wear spandex bike shorts....

Which means it certainly is not a leap to assume that you also go with a Speedo at the pool. ;D

Sean Leary

« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
Tim,

Think smaller.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #35 on: June 06, 2012, 02:45:59 PM »
Those who have listened to me play golf might suggest that I tell fewer jokes.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Mark McKeever

« Reply #36 on: June 06, 2012, 02:53:54 PM »
Terry,

Calling out someone for throwing clubs that turns out to be a little Asian guy may throw some people off. ;)

PS, you need to come to Philly soon!

Mark

Best MGA showers - Bayonne

"Dude, he's a total d***"

Sean_A

« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 03:10:21 PM »
Where do I end?

I smoke cigars, walk ahead of play, don't make much small talk, hit my ball before looking for others', take pix, cuss and mumble at myself, occasionally play out of turn...BUT - I don't do business on the course - something I consider the height of rudeness if others are in the group.  Nor do I crowd my partners - I hate it when guys crowd me - its the second height of rudeness.   

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tim Martin

Jonathan Stewart

« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2012, 03:43:59 PM »
I used to put my ball down and pick up my mark even when it wasn't my turn. My uncle informed me this was pretty rude and now I try to always have my ball marked when someone else is putting. This has caused me to always have a mark (hate it when others say they only have a tee) and now it bugs the hell out of me when others are placing their ball when it's my turn. This is something most players may not even notice or think about.

Tim Martin

« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2012, 03:49:24 PM »
Where do I end?

I smoke cigars, walk ahead of play, don't make much small talk, hit my ball before looking for others', take pix, cuss and mumble at myself, occasionally play out of turn...BUT - I don't do business on the course - something I consider the height of rudeness if others are in the group.  Nor do I crowd my partners - I hate it when guys crowd me - its the second height of rudeness.  

Ciao

Sean-Like this?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGVSIkEi3mM
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 04:01:19 PM by Tim Martin »

Dan King

« Reply #41 on: June 06, 2012, 03:55:23 PM »
I never hear the clicking of irons because I have my iPod on with my headphones :-)

I find it interesting people are apologizing for playing fast, and not a peep out of the much ruder slow players.  At most a fast player is rude to three other golfers (maybe four more if bugging the group ahead of them.) A slow golfer is rude to every golfer following him.

Sven Nilsen writes:
For all the lefties out there, us righties often forget to adjust where we are standing when you're on the tee.  No offense, we just aren't accustomed to the left side of the tee box being in the sight lines.

Not to worry Sven,, we lefties are more than used to golfers standing where they do for righties. It feels strange to me when golfers adjust to my leftiness.

I can understand why some people would see smoking cigars as rude. I used ot ask if anyone had issues with it when on the first tee. But I've quit smoking tobacco so it is much less of a problem.

I almost never mark my ball. I will do it if it is in someones line or I think it might bother them. Otherwise I only mark it if someone asks me to.

I've been known to not dress much like a golfer.  It's possible my green golf shoes might have bothered some people.

Cheers,
Dan King
I can't stand a naked light bulb, any more than I can a rude remark or a vulgar action.
 --Tennessee Williams

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
Talking about architecture.   

Next week I'm playing with a guy who hates it when I talk about history and architecture.  He just likes to play so I'm aware of his style.

Eric Smith

« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:35 PM »

I can understand why some people would see smoking cigars as rude. I used ot ask if anyone had issues with it when on the first tee. But I've quit smoking tobacco so it is much less of a problem.

Dan,

Did you ever use 'the sheik' technique when smoking on the course?

Daryl David

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2012, 04:06:27 PM »

I find it interesting people are apologizing for playing fast, and not a peep out of the much ruder slow players.  At most a fast player is rude to three other golfers (maybe four more if bugging the group ahead of them.) A slow golfer is rude to every golfer following him.

I think the answer to that is easy. Slow players have no clue they are rude. They are so self involved, they never notice the effect they have.  I have seen many confronted with their slow play and they seem genuinely surprised that they are considered slow.  Some will even claim they are fast.  No self awareness.  One of the hallmarks of poor manners.

William_G

« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2012, 04:09:19 PM »
spit on my golf ball
It's all about the golf!

JLahrman

« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »

You think anybody on this site is going to admit to being a slow player? Around here, that is a sin second only to admitting to being a cartballer. Just in front of liking Fazio courses.

Which is not to say that we don't have slower players...1500 guys on the website, I'm sure some are slow.

Slow players: Set yourself free. Admission is step #1.

Am I slow? Several of you have played with me. I want the unvarnished truth.

Greg Tallman

« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2012, 04:11:26 PM »
Make a group where each player has paid $350 USD skip 2 holes so the rest of the players on the course can enjoy their day.

Daryl David

« Reply #48 on: June 06, 2012, 04:12:41 PM »

Which is not to say that we don't have slower players...1500 guys on the website, I'm sure some are slow.

Slow players: Set yourself free. Admission is step #1.

I believe my speed of play is slightly above average.

Which is the step where they have to make amends?  That is the one I am waiting for.  Maybe I will get back all those wasted minutes waiting for human statues to hit the fricking ball!

JLahrman

« Reply #49 on: June 06, 2012, 04:14:44 PM »
Which is the step where they have to make amends?  That is the one I am waiting for.  Maybe I will get back all those wasted minutes waiting for human statues to hit the fricking ball!

That's not till Step 9.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back