News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Byrnes

Re: What do you do on the golf course that others may consider rude?
« Reply #75 on: June 06, 2012, 08:40:50 PM »
Play ready golf and walk ahead (although safely)..  Also no honor on the tee when it takes a player that much longer than me to get there.  Not exactly good manners.

Dan

Cory Lewis

« Reply #76 on: June 06, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
Make a group where each player has paid $350 USD skip 2 holes so the rest of the players on the course can enjoy their day.
You are my hero Greg.  I would pay you an even larger amount of money if you could convince the people I work with that it is ok to do this!
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Bill Gayne

« Reply #77 on: June 06, 2012, 08:50:43 PM »
I use the cliche:
UDAMAN,
GO IN THE Hole,
Player yelling "stop" I've responded "they always do,"
Do you think the rain will stop? it always has in the past,
Do you think I will find it? If you have enough time,
Which way does the hole go? about six inches into the ground.
On an island green the question is asked "which way does it break?" Towards the water!

My wife says that all guys scratch their nuts too much when outdoors.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 09:33:29 PM by Bill Gayne »

Bill Gayne

« Reply #78 on: June 06, 2012, 09:18:52 PM »
I played with a couple of guys once that would randomly break into Monty Python with full British accent. I enjoyed it a lot being a Monty Python fan but i could see how others would be bothered. The Black Knight scene has some funny lines that can be properly applied on the golf course.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #79 on: June 06, 2012, 09:29:30 PM »
I will not compliment you on a good shot, I don't care if you stripe a drive, maybe you missed your target. If you hit your approach to 20 feet I won't say good shot, maybe you were going at the pin.

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #80 on: June 06, 2012, 09:41:43 PM »
I tend to be a little too loud, both in happiness and in anger, especially in tournaments.

On the whole marking/not marking the ball thing, I've always thought it was pretty ubiquitous practice to mark your ball when you arrive at it on the green. Interesting that it's been mentioned a bunch of times here. I don't mind if someone leaves his/her ball unmarked on the green as long as it's at least eight to ten feet from the hole and it's not in my line or my through-line when I'm reading my own putt. I always mark my ball when I arrive at it because it's easier for me to read my putt that way.  Ball-marking hijinks seem to be kind of far down the list of pace-of-play killers as far as I see it. But I guess every little bit adds up.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #81 on: June 06, 2012, 09:58:30 PM »
There are so many I don't know where to start.  I hate to wait.  I try to be patient but am only moderately successful.  If no one is at the tee, I will hit my tee shot.  I will putt without taking out the pin.  I have even been known to walk to the next tee while someone is still lining up a putt.  Generally I do this only with guys who do the same thing.  I do not view golf as a social event.  It is a sporting event in which I am forced to play with people.  If I am playing with a friend who likes to talk I tell him on the first tee that he is only allowed to talk when he is walking. 

If I do not know players in the group, I am the quintessential reluctant gentleman. 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2012, 11:03:36 PM »
1.  Speed
2.  Speed
3.  Speed
4.  Speed
5.  Speed
6.  Complain about only being even par.

Liar.
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

Doug Braunsdorf

« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2012, 11:15:40 PM »
Kind of similar to Dan Byrnes and Tommy's answers--I have a tendency to, if I happen to get to the next tee prior to everyone else, just put a tee in the ground and fire.  Who cares about honor.  Just play and keep it simple. 

Mike Whitaker,

That's very true also, regarding the unsolicited commentary--I was on the receiving end of that once, and I think by the second hole, I was ready to say something.  The only comment I may say is "I've got it", if a shot is headed off line, and I am tracking it.  I just do it to try to be helpful.

"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction."

David_Elvins

« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »
Coming on to golfclubatlas and saying "My rudest habit is playing too fast" is like sitting in a job interview and saying "my worst trait is that I work too hard". 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

JLahrman

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2012, 11:30:07 PM »
Coming on to golfclubatlas and saying "My rudest habit is playing too fast" is like sitting in a job interview and saying "my worst trait is that I work too hard". 

I agree...I believe I play at an above-average pace, but I will admit to being damn lazy at work.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2012, 11:30:59 PM »
I think it's rude when we have these Aussies come over, claim high handicaps, and then proceed to play lights out and make us look silly.

Right Elvins?  ;D
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Sam Morrow

« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2012, 11:31:50 PM »
Cory does play quickly, Jerry Pate told Cory that he hoped he lasted longer with women. ;D

Really, he did.

David_Elvins

« Reply #88 on: June 06, 2012, 11:36:20 PM »
I think it's rude when we have these Aussies come over, claim high handicaps, and then proceed to play lights out and make us look silly.

Right Elvins?  ;D

When someone plays their best ever round of golf it is rude for his playing partners to spend 4 years questioning his handicap, rather than let him enjoy the moment.  ;D
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Alex Miller

« Reply #89 on: June 07, 2012, 12:07:39 AM »

It is rude to carry logo's on permanent fixtures of play where you are not a member.

I may as well come clean and admit that I don't actually play for the Los Angeles Angels, as my headcover might suggest. :)
Same with my towel. How rude of us!

I talk quite a bit, and probably about disproportionately about golf course architecture. I let the pins drop, and I can understand that some find the sound jarring, but I doubt it damages the greens.

Oh, and if we're still waiting for the first person to admit they're a slow player... well good luck with that.  :)

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #90 on: June 07, 2012, 01:46:33 AM »
I didn't know you weren't supposed to do it, and I've tried to stop but I find it's a hard habit to break.

When I'm sent out with one or more players I don't know, at some point in the back 9 my guard will drop and I'll let slip a comment about the history or the architecture of the course.

The look I always get back makes it clear that I have seriously transgressed some unwritten mores. Worse than being a mere boor I bring up a subject that is clearly taboo while guys are out there trying to have a good time.

If I've ever done this to anyone reading I can only apologise for my rudeness and rest assured I'm seeking help for it.  I blame my mom.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Brett_Morrissy

« Reply #91 on: June 07, 2012, 02:22:34 AM »

Quote: David Cronan
Lastly, whenever my best friend and I are playing in a club event and it is obvious that one of our competitors (twice I've done it to my best friend) has been overserved, at some random point, one of us will blurt out, "Gladiator!!"

See reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGT-NUBNTZc

David - that is a ripper - I encourage everyone to gain some context of "Gladiator!" and watch the video, love to see the look on those around you at the time...
@theflatsticker

Jason Topp

« Reply #92 on: June 07, 2012, 06:20:21 AM »
When my son was two he was on a hike with his mother.  Midway through the hike he stopped and took a leak next to a bush.  His mom was horrified and began to reprimand him.  My son responds "It is ok on a golf course." 

Not sure where he picked that up . . .

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #93 on: June 07, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
I consider it rude to feel you are entitled to play through if you play inordinately fast because you do not play by the rules.  I know that I spent most of my youth playing faster and giving putts in an attempt to catch a group, usually on a tee of a par 3.  I have also been known to lay down in the fairway pretending to nap when behind a slow group, or using a ball washer for the first time all year or standing in a rude manner while emitting a hateful vibe.  In other words, it can be rude to play too fast.

On a side note, my group is often rude for playing 100% by the rules with a maximum score of 9.  We can not stay ahead of "friendly games".

I quoted myself to show that I did indeed point out how my group is often rude by our slow play by adhering to the rules 100%.  This is necessary because we play for an uncomfortable amount of money.  I have often warned my buddies that if we are not careful we will be told that we need to not putt everything out, take every penalty, or worst of all look for every lost ball.

For those of you who don't understand why it is "worth" paying a premium to be one of very few golfers on the course this rudeness thread should be all the proof you need.  There is no rudeness in isolation.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #94 on: June 07, 2012, 10:51:28 AM »
I must confess that I was a guest at a local club a few weeks ago and, having some stomach issues attempted the one-cheek-sneak while awaiting my turn to putt.  Boom went the dynamite. :-\
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Hendren

« Reply #95 on: June 07, 2012, 10:54:40 AM »
When my son was two he was on a hike with his mother.  Midway through the hike he stopped and took a leak next to a bush.  His mom was horrified and began to reprimand him.  My son responds "It is ok on a golf course." 

Not sure where he picked that up . . .

I wish I had a nickel for every time I heard this exchange among Dad and his cronies when I was growing up;

Crony:  I've got to take a leak.  Are there any ladies around?
Dad:  If they're ladies, they'll look the other way.
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2012, 11:04:49 AM »
As an Irishman I do find it rude for others to piss at location where there is the slightest chance of me being reminded of the curse of my heritage.  
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 11:31:07 AM by John Kavanaugh »

Brent Hutto

« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2012, 11:09:55 AM »
I occasionally play with married couples or whatever and feel the need to curb my brief trips into the edge of the woods. But there are some days when the urge is not easily curbed and after a while I'm afraid to really make a full, 100% swing at the ball.

There was one such occasion when I was paired up with an older couple at some resort course or another and both times I was starting to feel a bit desperate the lady just happened to manage to be around the curve in the cart path or over a hill out of sight at precisely the right moment. I'm pretty sure she was used to playing in a group with middle-aged men in it and was careful to provide frequent out-of-sight opportunities. Unfortunately there was no polite way to acknowledge her consideration when we parted at the end of the round...

P.S. And Bogey, just remember if you don't have to walk splay-legged for the rest of the round there was no harm done.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #98 on: June 07, 2012, 12:04:16 PM »
TEE:            Leave broken tees behind too often

FAIRWAY:    Offer yardage unsolicited

ROUGH:       Require a search party as I'm lousy finding errant shots

TREELINE:    When nature calls

GREEN:        Fix others' ballmarks on the green unsolicited

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Carl Nichols

« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »

GREEN:        Fix others' ballmarks on the green unsolicited

I do this too, especially if I'm near the mark when it's made.  In my view, clearly not rude.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back