News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Idaho Golf
« on: June 06, 2012, 09:44:30 AM »
Joe Logan, the long time Philly golf writer, recently visited Idaho for the first time and played Coeur d'Alene, Circling Raven and The Idaho Club.

http://myphillygolf.com/blogs.asp?blogid=1
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Kalen Braley

Re: Idaho Golf
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:45:27 AM »
Steve,

Thanks for posting that.  It wasn't half bad for being a travel puff piece.

No doubt coming to this area with all the open spaces and beautiful landscapes can be intoxicating.  It certainly was when I first moved up here from dry and brown California...and it still hits me like that every now and then.

It would be interesting to see his "real" thoughts on the courses and how they played.

I too hope that Idaho Club will survive, but given its remote location, (even by Spokane standards), and being a ball-buster course its going to be a tough road.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:59:03 AM »
Kalen, that article was certainly not written for the GCA.com types; hardly a word about the golf courses (which is all I care about, I'll sleep in my car for the right course).

Fwiw (little) I was not a big fan of any of those courses. If you have no access to Rock Creek or Gozzer I don't see Couer D'alene as a place worth visiting for its golf. Can't speak to the other activities.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 02:31:16 PM »
Kalen, that article was certainly not written for the GCA.com types; hardly a word about the golf courses (which is all I care about, I'll sleep in my car for the right course).

Fwiw (little) I was not a big fan of any of those courses. If you have no access to Rock Creek or Gozzer I don't see Couer D'alene as a place worth visiting for its golf. Can't speak to the other activities.

Mark,

True on the 1st comment. 

The 2nd statement is only true for hardcore golfers.  I think most "Retail" golfers would love a long weekend at The Idaho Club, Circling Raven, and The Resort.    I would put them like this on the DS:

IC - 6
CR - 5
Resort - 4

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 02:42:23 PM »
Are those Doak scores?

Andy Troeger

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 03:02:23 PM »
Kalen,
I tend to agree with Mark in the sense that those courses are not necessarily ones I would travel long distances for. I expect it is a nice regional destination, and for many the resort course is probably THE destination in that area.

I thought most of your Utah Doak rankings were one too high, although generally in the right order. I'd probably say that Idaho Club and Circling Raven as 5's is pretty reasonable.

Mark,
I think Black Rock is also a must-see type of place, with the understanding that not everybody is going to like that style. Rock Creek and Gozzer are worth seeing for GCA nuts regardless of the effort needed to get there.

Joe Stansell

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 03:27:06 PM »
Kalen, for comparison sake, where would you put Palouse Ridge against those three "just-across-the-border" courses?

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 03:43:40 PM »
Andy, you're probably right about Black Rock. I didn't get a chance to play it when I was in CDA so it slipped my mind.

I am fairly certain we've discussed Gozzer before.  I'm on record saying I didn't understand all the fuss, though I've admitted I'm probably wrong.  The only way I'd make the trip back to the area was if the trip involved RCCC (which is worth the trip alone).

Kalen, I'd drop those Doak scores.  None of them are 6s.  IC and CR are probably 5s, though I wouldn't really argue if someone said they were 4s.  CDA resort I think is a 3.  Take away the holes which are on wild terrain (which are terrible holes individually) and you get an over-manicured, tree-lined, flat golf course with boring greens.  That's a 3 all day long.

PR is a clear step ahead of any of the courses listed.  It is a difficult walk for sure and the 17th, while sort of pretty, is a terrible fit with the rest of the golf course, but it's still a 6.  I think I may have called it a 7 at one point, but I'm more comfortable calling it a 6.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 05:39:00 PM »
Hey All,

Yes Mark, those are all attempted Doak Scores.

And in thinking about it more, I could buy an argument that Idaho Club is not a 6, but certainly nowhere worse than a 5.  I do stand by Circling Raven as a 5 and rate Palouse Ridge as a 5 as well.  Now if Palouse Ridge had better/interesting greens, it would instantly go to a 6...thats the biggest thing holding it back IMO.

As for The Resort, I think its the entire experience that makes it a 4.  Remember, its nots just a one trick pony with the floating green.  #3 and #5 are very interesting par 3s as well in addition to the wicked short par 4 4th.  And #11 thru 14 on the back is very interesting as well, especially with #13 running right next to the lake. #17 also works as a pretty neat short par 4 coming in to boot.

I don't see how anyone can think it any less than a 4..

4. A modestly interesting course, with a couple of distinctive holes among the 18, or at least some scenic interest and decent golf. Also reserved for some very good courses that are much too short and narrow to provide sufficient challenge for accomplished golfers.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 05:51:02 PM »
I do agree that Circling Raven and Idaho Club are no worse than 5's.

Didn't play the resort course. It looks above average (3) though, if for no reason other than the views.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 06:02:43 PM »
I do agree that Circling Raven and Idaho Club are no worse than 5's.

Didn't play the resort course. It looks above average (3) though, if for no reason other than the views.

Well and thats just it, you can check all those boxes in that description.

Dintinctive holes?  Check -  3, 4, 11, 13, and 14 would certainly qualify.
Scenic interest?  A huge check mark here  - The scenery is very good.  Every bit as good as Gozzer in this department.
Decent golf?  Check again -  Some good quality holes out there, most of the holes are certainly better than run-of-the-mill averag muni stuff.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back