News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Roll Call for the Open and meet-up place
« on: June 05, 2012, 01:34:10 PM »
Guys, who is coming to the Open and when will you be there?  Also, where is a good place for us to have a GCA meet up and watch the golf?  I'll arrive at my desk Tuesday and work the tournament through Sunday.  Usually, the best time for me to meetup are early afternoons during the week, a little earlier on the weekend.

So looking forward to meeting you guys and seeing Olympic.
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Joe Stansell

Re: Roll Call for the Open and meet-up place
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 09:14:42 AM »
I'll be there with my family on Friday and Sunday, and doing the tourist thing around San Francisco on Thursday and Saturday. Am interested in any tips that anyone would like to share -- both in terms of on-course viewing ideas and off-course touring and dining suggestions.

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 09:25:46 AM »
I'm going Sunday and maybe Thursday and Friday.  I have an extra ticket for Wednesday if anyone wants it.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 09:31:26 AM »
Joe Stansell -

I have lived in San Francisco for almost 40 years. This is a good website for dining recommendations:

http://chowhound.chow.com/boards/1

A lot depends on what kind of food you like, how much you want to spend, where you will be staying, how old your kids are, etc. If you want to send with an IM with some of those details, I can hopefully give you some good ideas on places to go & things to do.

DT

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 01:44:56 PM »
Where is a good place for people to meet up that's easy to get to and easy to coordinate?
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 02:01:33 PM »
Jay -

I have no idea how the grounds are being set up with regards to grandstands, tents, refreshment stands, etc.

There is a flag pole next to the clubhouse (to the right of it as you face the main entrance to the clubhouse), above the 18th green. That might be a good meeting point.

DT

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:59:22 PM »
David I think the club has a picture that was emailed out showing all the tents, entrances etc.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 08:35:10 PM »
David I think the club has a picture that was emailed out showing all the tents, entrances etc.

Map of the course with tents and entrances. Doesn't include grandstands, though.

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/champ_experience/spectator_guide.html#map

This thread makes me even more disappointed I won't be able to attend the tournament as initially planned. Hope you all have a great time and that Olympic is recognized as a wonderful host venue.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Jay Flemma

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 09:51:42 PM »
Let's do this...let's tentatively schedule a meetup for the flagpole (you guys pick date and time in the afternoon one day) and in the meantime, when I get up there I'll hunt around for easy places for groups of people to spot one another.

Bill_Yates

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:34:40 PM »
I'll be showing up on Thursday.

Any way to successfully communicate once through the gate when NO CELL PHONES ARE ALLOWED?  At the '07 Open at Oakmont all cell phones had to be checked at the gate.
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2012, 01:29:02 AM »
Its usually flagpole, time and specific headwear. Worked well during the Walker Cup at Merion.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »
Does Thursday at 3 at the flagpole work for everyone?

And I just got the great news - they are serving burger dogs in the media tent as the snack every day!! Woo hoo hoo!

(Gettin' my Mucci on:):)

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2012, 06:40:37 PM »
Jay, you know where to find me---same place as last year and the year before that. You can find me there next year and the year after that.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »
Then we can have a burger dog together:0 What day do you arrive.  I'll be there my usual 11 am on Tuesday.

Keith Doleshel

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 08:06:25 PM »
Nobody wants to meet at Gleneagles?  ;D

Jim Hoak

« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 11:00:21 AM »
I would love to meet anyone who can on Friday at the the flagpole at 3 pm.  Let me know what hat you will have on.

David_Tepper

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2012, 09:55:39 PM »
Bump!

Mike Benham

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2012, 10:58:16 PM »

And I just got the great news - they are serving burger dogs in the media tent as the snack every day!! Woo hoo hoo!

Are you sneaking in or did you get the blue coats to give you a credential?
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2012, 12:08:19 AM »
Mike, this is my eighth straight Open with a cred, And 15th major). Where have you been?  ;)

And I have never "snuck in." Guess we won't see you - they'll be waiting for you with a big net, dude ;D ***Kidding! Kidding!***

Guys are we doing Thursday or Friday?  Friday actually works a little better for me...but I can do either.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 05:52:42 AM by Jay Flemma »

Scott Warren

« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2012, 04:54:37 AM »
Jay,

I know we've had our differences in the past, but I just wanted to let you know that I read your 2012 US Open preview piece and I really enjoyed all the bits that quoted things proper journalists/writers had either said or written. Some really good stuff there. Okay, truth be told, I even kinda enjoyed a couple of the bits you wrote yourself.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2012, 06:12:49 AM by Scott Warren »

Jay Flemma

« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2012, 05:48:20 AM »
Thank you, Scott.  That's really kind of you to say, and also for you to reach out to me like that.  I appreciate it. 

I've said it before, but I had a great time studying up on Olympic. The other writers were a help, but so were GCAers and members of Oly, so thank you, guys :) Not only am I grateful, but I had a lot of fun meeting you and talkng Olympic.

Just because someone hasn't played a course before they write about it doesn't mean they can't take a position, as long as they keep an open mind once they get out on the course.  Hazeltine is a great example.  While I was underwhelmed by the architecture before I got there (from what I studied), I found other compensations to having tournaments there - ergonomics and friendliness for example, among other things. I can't say I fell in love with the course...but I did with the venue, if you understand the nuance.  Similarly, sure Oly has some aspects that we on GCA.com frequently pan - lots of trees for example - but there are other interesting parts to the course that balance out the analysis so that I could come to the conclusion it'll be a great Open and a great venue.

On another note, I'm glad you reached out for another reason...this is a hard job.  Writing is hard.  Sometimes these previews take me a couple months to write. I don't know why this is, but when I have 2 months to write a piece it takes me close to that, but when I have overnight deadline, I get it done in a night. Maybe I'm no different from any other writer?  But it is my job - every bit my job as being a lawyer...and guys, it's a really tough balancing act.  It makes anyone feel good when people appreciate that you do your job to the best of your abilities, whatever your job may be. Scott, thank you for once again proving tonight that we are all making an effort at (and succeeding at) making GCA.com a little kinder.  Also, you did an excellent job on the Ogilvy/Clayton work on your home course...that was a well written and researched piece and a good read.

Writers Patrick O'Brian (Master and Commander) and Jasper Fforde both wrote something about how good men don't hold grudges and make up quarrels, turning negatives into positives. I promise I'll try to move forward in the same way tonight and be as big a person as you were.

It's 2:35 a.m. in Cali and I'm still working on a piece due Tuesday...I'm dead exhausted, not to mention beaten up from 1) a sprained thumb (cabbie wrenched it on me when he grabbed m suitcase too fast and 2) a seriously bruised tailbone from a hard fall in a basketball game Sat...but your kind words gave me at least one more hours of energy to keep going just a little further.

Mike Benham

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2012, 11:45:37 AM »
Mike, this is my eighth straight Open with a cred, And 15th major). Where have you been?  ;)

Jay -  Obviously not reading much of your work ... Sorry about that though, although I will claim that I forgot the  ;D .
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jay Flemma

« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2012, 01:28:02 PM »
All good Mike!  Are you available to join the meetup? Which day?

Since Scott was kind enough to mention it, I'll post the link to my preview.  Hope you like it.

http://jayflemma.thegolfspace.com/?p=4474

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2012, 04:39:52 PM »
600 trees removed out of 40,000, or 1.5% - it sure looks and feels like a much bigger number were removed.  I don't know the exact numbers, or whether the numbers are misleading because of shrubs and the like.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jay Flemma

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2012, 06:08:15 PM »
Lots and lots of pruning too:)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back