News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Colin Macqueen

One path to routing
« on: June 08, 2012, 04:26:34 AM »
Gentlemen,

As is my wont I have been trolling the back pages for threads on specific aspects of course architecture and design. The thread below on Routing (started by a "hesitant" Peter Pallotta) seemed, to me, to be a bit of a gem.

The thread provokes thoughts and draws out points of view from architects as well as non-architects. These and two excellent links to an Ian Andrews and a Mike Nuzzo piece have supplied me with plenty good material and a terrific base to start with in regards to gaining an understanding of routing.

Who knows? New members may have added insights or at the very least might enjoy  this particular thread.

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,28197.0.html

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Sean_A

Re: One path to routing New
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 04:48:14 AM »
Colin

I recall someone in that discussion writing the routing is a given for golfer.  That is how I tend to look at it.  I don't know anything about routing a course, but I know what I like.  I tend to be impressed when archies get the most out of the dominant features.  Its especially cool when a feature is used multiple times.  Some examples might be Cavendish's railway embankment (and the rise of land to it) and incidentally the use of the stone wall; Southfield's use of the great ground around a creek; or more generally how the hilly terrain at Kington is tackled in such as way as to make the course very playable with compelling shots and not too arduous a walk.  This doesn't mean the routings are the best on offer, but if a schmoe like me can recognize utilization of features the routings can't be all bad.

Ciao  
« Last Edit: June 08, 2012, 05:03:22 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back