News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Saltzman

**Apologies for posting a link to my blog but I think I post enough pictures on GCA to not catch flack for this and I will transfer the
pictures over here when I get a chance**

Call me biased (because I am) but I think Bigwin Island belongs among Canada's top-10 modern layouts (GW has it as 16th I think). 

The course is often criticized because of its overly-wide fairways and its lack of difficulty, and yet few people are able to put up a great number. 

Lots of half-shot penalties and really genius use of angles make Bigwin Island fun to play over and over. 

Enjoy the review.

http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2012/06/bigwin-island-golf-club-course-review.html

At the very least, 18 tee is a decent spot to grab a beer...

Ronald Montesano

Re: Bigwin Island GC (My Home Course) - Course Review and Photo Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2012, 11:44:19 PM »
Was Bigwin built when Ian Andrew was still with Carrick?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2012, 11:46:26 PM »
Was Bigwin built when Ian Andrew was still with Carrick?

Ron, I don't believe Ian did any work at Bigwin Island.  I wait to be corrected.

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 12:13:59 AM »
It is indeed a lot of fun. I got it around in a respectable number both times I was there (most recently about five years ago) and hit a few shots that made me feel like I was working the angles. Quite enjoyed the experience.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2012, 08:52:59 PM »
It is indeed a lot of fun. I got it around in a respectable number both times I was there (most recently about five years ago) and hit a few shots that made me feel like I was working the angles. Quite enjoyed the experience.

Guy, I think a lot of people will put up decent scores at Bigwin.  I'd say I finish the round with the same ball I start with in about 5/6 rounds, so there are very few penalty shots.  But, I think people fail to appreciate how difficult an approach can be (even if there is no water hazard / OB) if played from the wrong angle in the fairway -- hence the half-shot penalties. 

Gary Slatter

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2012, 10:15:10 PM »
Mark, did you ever see the original Bigwin course?  I got to play it 40 times one summer in the 1960s and it was brilliant Stanley Thompson.
Gary Slatter
gary.slatter@raffles.com

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 12:58:56 PM »
Guy, I think a lot of people will put up decent scores at Bigwin.  I'd say I finish the round with the same ball I start with in about 5/6 rounds, so there are very few penalty shots.  But, I think people fail to appreciate how difficult an approach can be (even if there is no water hazard / OB) if played from the wrong angle in the fairway -- hence the half-shot penalties. 

Absolutely, and this is one of the key things that makes it different than the typical shieldland course. Compare this to Deerhurst up the road, for example. Such a more enjoyable experience at Bigwin.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 02:13:19 PM »
Mark:
Thanks for the tour.  Where is Lake of Bays exactly?  Also, from the routing it looks like there are lots all around the course (all waterfront), but you can't see any houses from the course.  Are there houses on all of those lots but you just can't see them?

Guy Nicholson

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 10:25:36 PM »
Carl: about 175 kilometres north of Toronto.

Mark Saltzman

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 11:28:16 PM »
Mark:
Thanks for the tour.  Where is Lake of Bays exactly?  Also, from the routing it looks like there are lots all around the course (all waterfront), but you can't see any houses from the course.  Are there houses on all of those lots but you just can't see them?

Carl, Guy said it, Lake of Bays is about 2hrs north of Toronto in cottage country.

There are lots all around the course.  Some have houses on them,  some are still vacant land for sale.  In all cases, they are far enough removed from the course and/or through thick enough woods that they cannot be seen from the golf course. 

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back