News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: O/ T Playing this weekend? Where at?
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2012, 08:53:20 PM »
Really like this thread. Good to read where people are getting out and whatnot, especially Pearce showing us how you do it properly. HCEG, indeed...

I played Saturday AM at Bonnie Doon in an absolute downpour that saw the course flooded (despite being on 30 feet of pure sand) and the medal called off as we walked off the 18th green.

And despite it being so wet that I actually had a puddle in the main pocket of my golf bag when I got home, it was an absolute blast thanks to the company and just how ridiculously good the new Ogilvy Clayton design holes are. You can't not have fun playing them.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 12:54:46 PM »
I'm certainly glad that I was able to fit a round into a whirlwind weekend, with Morgan Clawson and his friend Steve, at Keller in north St. Paul.  The place is dripping with history and is a funky quirky plot of land that offered us plenty of giggles and grins.  Thanks Morgan and Steve for the guided tour!  8) ;D
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 01:07:06 PM »
Indian Canyon in Spokane, WA.

Finally put a good round together...at least by my standards!  ;)

Brent Hutto

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 01:08:56 PM »
I played twice this weekend. For some inexplicable reason our course was virtually empty even though it was upper 70's on Saturday and low 80's on Sunday with sunshine and almost nonexistent humidity. Actually the reason isn't inexplicable it had to do with a combination of high-school graduations and a college baseball tournament in town. And the greens were recently punched and sanded. So I guess it's pretty explicable as it turns out.

Anyway, played by myself on a nigh empty course both days. Had my best back-to-back rounds in a couple years or more. Each round happened to take exactly 2 hours, 20 minutes and that was playing it down and putting it out (except I took a do-over on one long putt that hit a punch mark an inch after I hit it and literally veered 90 degrees off line and bounced completely off the green). Nothing beats walking along at your own pace, neither hurrying or waiting on any shot.

Jason Topp

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2012, 01:13:22 PM »
I played Manitou Ridge - a quirky public course with some of the most severely sloping greens one will ever play. It was a great way to spend a beautiful Sunday.

We got our tails kicked in a four-ball match even though one of our opponents did not contribute a shot all day.  His partner shot 68 with his hat on backwards. 

Bill_McBride

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2012, 01:30:13 PM »
A foursomes medal at The Northumberland this morning.
Tomorrow, managing our Jumior League team away at Blyth.
Tuesday, maybe Elie.
Wednesday, HCEG for 36 and lunch.

Life can be cruel.

Jud_T

« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2012, 01:36:23 PM »
Played twilight with my son yesterday at Shepherd's Crook, got around in 3 hours and the place was surprisingly firm for the amount of rain we got last week.   Ravisloe tomorrow...
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Bill_McBride

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2012, 01:37:08 PM »
Played Saturday in Houston with my son David and his father-in-law in Bill's regular 7:15 am game.   :o.  It was early but nice to finish at 10:55.  We played the El Dorado course at Quail Valley in Missouri City, SW Houston.  

The city bought a folded private club that also has a second 18.  They put $4M into a remodel of El Dorado and are building a $7.9M clubhouse.  I wish them well.  The course was fun with a couple of goofy holes coming home.  

Sam Morrow

« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2012, 01:37:54 PM »
Played Saturday in Houston with my son David and his father-in-law in Bill's regular 7:15 am game.   :o.  It was early but nice to finish at 10:55.  We played the El Dorado course at Quail Valley in Missouri City, SW Houston.  

The city bought a folded private club that also has a second 18.  They put $4M into a remodel of El Dorado and are building a $7.9M clubhouse.  I wish them well.  The course was fun with a couple of goofy holes coming home.  

The Tour played there 1 year.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »
This might have to be a regular Thursday night topic. Where are you playing their weekend June--------2012.........  I really enjoy hearing about where those on here are playing.  Sounds like most people had a great couple of days.

Matthew Petersen

« Reply #35 on: June 04, 2012, 02:35:20 PM »
Saturday morning played a course in Scottsdale called McDowell Mountain.

Used to be known as the Sanctuary but a couple years ago it was bought by Phil Mickelson (or some group he's a part of), closed down, and remodeled. This was the first time I had seen it since the changes. They really did a nice job.

Used to be a very short, incredibly tight course. They added a set of back tees that can make it play much longer, but in general it's still not a ball-buster. They did a really nice job opening it up, however. What used to be severe desert/likely lost ball areas have largely been converted to maintained waste areas where you can easily find and play a ball. Otherwise the routing is essentially the same, and the holes all play similarly.

Nice day, even if I couldn't find a fairway to save myself.

Jim Franklin

« Reply #36 on: June 04, 2012, 02:49:31 PM »
I played 36 at Pine Valley over the weekend. It was better than I remembered. The 499 par 4 4th was fantastic. 270 to the top of the hill now and then 5 iron from 220 through the green. Parred #5 both days (246yds Sat and 225 Sun). Parred #18 both days too (485 into 15 mph wind). Firm and fast and wonderful.

Saw Graeme McDowell playing yesterday and looked like he was enjoying himself.

Bellerive member/guest this weekend. Can't wait to see the changes.
Mr Hurricane

Lance Rieber

« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2012, 02:57:13 PM »
Jeeeez Jim, hope you can get up for next weekend.   

Jim Franklin

« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2012, 03:58:38 PM »
Jeeeez Jim, hope you can get up for next weekend.   

Finished second last year so looking for revenge. No problem getting ready for this plus Bellerive has a new super and made some changes that I hear are terrific.
Mr Hurricane

Dale Jackson

« Reply #39 on: June 04, 2012, 04:16:54 PM »
I, along with 20 or so other GCA types will be playing 72 holes at Sagebrush.
I've seen an architecture, something new, that has been in my mind for years and I am glad to see a man with A.V. Macan's ability to bring it out. - Gene Sarazen

jonathan_becker

« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2012, 04:21:30 PM »
I played 36 at Pine Valley over the weekend.

Forget that place, Jim.  In a couple weekends, I'll be headed to the #1 course in the USA....Rock Creek Cattle Company!  :)

Carl Johnson

« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
Carl, that course ands like a lot of fun to play!  I will be interested on your take. Have fun!

I have now provided my review of this course in a separate, new post.  Carl
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 05:20:12 PM by Carl Johnson »

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
B&B full all weekend  :) but too busy to play golf  :(
Cave Nil Vino

Michael George

« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2012, 05:56:09 PM »
I played 36 at Pine Valley over the weekend. It was better than I remembered. The 499 par 4 4th was fantastic. 270 to the top of the hill now and then 5 iron from 220 through the green. Parred #5 both days (246yds Sat and 225 Sun). Parred #18 both days too (485 into 15 mph wind). Firm and fast and wonderful.

Saw Graeme McDowell playing yesterday and looked like he was enjoying himself.

Bellerive member/guest this weekend. Can't wait to see the changes.

Honestly - where did you get this life?
"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Bill_McBride

« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2012, 07:31:16 PM »
B&B full all weekend  :) but too busy to play golf  :(

Old proverb:

Be careful what you ask for.

Mark Steffey

« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2012, 11:26:29 PM »
i'll still be having fun playing at Green Hill muni in worcester, ma this coming weekend in the cosgrove (aka, worcester county fourball). 
two day, two man best ball event that draws the top of the heap in MA amateurs.  i'll be safely hidden in the middle of the 1st flight while breaking in a new partner since my usual suspect escaped to ireland in february.  it'll be fun to see all the champ flight heavyweights come in and try to get their cart to get out for the shotgun start saturday and say 'hi' and shake hands [and hope some birdies rub off].

Jim Franklin

« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2012, 08:52:38 AM »
I played 36 at Pine Valley over the weekend.

Forget that place, Jim.  In a couple weekends, I'll be headed to the #1 course in the USA....Rock Creek Cattle Company!  :)

I am officially jealous. Please let me know how the course is maturing and tell Fred I said hi. By the way, I was proudly displaying my RCCC golf shirt during my second round at PV.
Mr Hurricane

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back