News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pete_Pittock

Oakhurst to the Auction Block
« on: June 01, 2012, 03:47:42 PM »
http://golfweek.com/news/2012/may/31/oakhurst-auction-block-future-uncertain/

Oakhurst, the oldest course in the US goes on the auction block. The 1994 Cupp reestablishment of the 1884 nine holer is hickories only. A few miles from the Greenbrier in White Sulphur Springs, WV.  It fits part of the definition of a Doak Scale 7, as you should play it if your within 100 miles.

Perhaps the USGA can step in without putting too great a dent in their warchest.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2012, 06:43:18 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Greg Tallman

Re: Oakhurst to the Auction Block
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2012, 04:56:58 PM »
A few miles from The Greenbrier in WSS and there is little doubt that Jim Justice will be the buyer. Coud be great for Oakhurst and Greenbrier. I have always wondered why The Greenbrier did not buy the place and run it first class and now that would appear to be on the horizon.   

Lester George

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2012, 05:07:38 PM »
The deal to have the USGA own Oakhurst while the Greenbrier would operate and maintain it was in the works in the 90's and was ready to be signed by all parties.  Never happened as the deal blew-up in the 11th hour.  Extraordinarily idiotic if you know the facts. 

Lester

Ken Fry

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 09:25:25 PM »
However the course can be saved, I hope a solid plan can be put in place for Oakhurst to survive and thrive in the future.  Oakhurst is a special place.  I encourage anyone who loves golf to make a visit there.  It's truly a unique experience and a wonderful atmosphere to experience.

Ken

Ken Fry

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2017, 09:58:53 PM »
Five years after my last post on this topic, I pulled into White Sulphur Springs a week ago with my youngest two daughters in tow.  I was taking the opportunity on a trip so close to stop in and see Oakhurst and The Greenbrier.

We had intended the prior summer to stop in but our trip was only a week after the devastating floods that hit Greenbrier County.  There were still many reminders of what this area has gone through in the last year.  Damage is still evident but the clean up and condition of town and the resort looks quite nice.  A true testament to the people in the area to recover from so much damage and loss of life.

Upon reaching Oakhurst, I had no idea the golf course is gone.  The old sand tee box for hole #2 was visible just beyond the closed gate but covered with weeds.  If I hadn't known where the first green sat, I'd never know looking at it now.  The entire property looks only rough mowed.  This must be what the property looked liked when the Kellers owned Oakhurst prior to refinding the golf course.

Does anyone know if the course closure is permanent?  While I keep my disappointment in perspective with what the people around White Sulphur Springs have endured, I'm still sad to find Oakhurst gone.

Ken

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2017, 05:12:45 AM »
9 holers are tough to keep solvent, you need it to be a labour of love like Mr Keller had.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2017, 05:19:08 AM »
The USGA could and should have kept it going, but not sure they really wanted to as it conflicts with their narrative of the five founding clubs.

In fact they should have put their whole equipment testing division on site and made them play at least once a week so they'd understand the subject beyond launch angles and initial velocity.

jeffwarne

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2017, 07:01:37 PM »
The USGA could and should have kept it going, but not sure they really wanted to as it conflicts with their narrative of the five founding clubs.

In fact they should have put their whole equipment testing division on site and made them play at least once a week so they'd understand the subject beyond launch angles and initial velocity.

Isn't their equipment testing facility already on site?
Iron Byron shouln't use a hickory?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2017, 08:35:46 PM »
While I keep my disappointment in perspective with what the people around White Sulphur Springs have endured, I'm still sad to find Oakhurst gone.

Ken

Thanks for posting the Oakhurst update. While I have no direct connection to Oakhurst, 9 hole courses are some of my favorites.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2017, 10:54:25 PM »
Last year, I thought Oakhurst would be a fun add-on to the George Cup at Ballyhack, but, as you mention, it was closed after the flood.  Staff was interested in having us until the natural disaster intervened.

I checked a couple of weeks ago to see if it would be available this September (George Cup VII, you're all invited) and it seems that it isn't going to be reopened in 2017.  My understanding is that Oakhurst Links will be open again in 2018.  The access road wasn't even usable until fairly recently (which has had a detrimental impact, apparently, on progress on the 18-hole Oakhurst project higher on the property).

WW

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 05:33:35 PM »
I hope you're right, Ed.

I have not visited the Greenbrier of Oakhurst, but is there a fairly low barrier to entry? In other words, do families take advantage of the course, even with the (assumed) persimmon club requirements? It seems like a wasted opportunity if not.

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 10:40:42 PM »
I hope you're right, Ed.

I have not visited the Greenbrier of Oakhurst, but is there a fairly low barrier to entry? In other words, do families take advantage of the course, even with the (assumed) persimmon club requirements? It seems like a wasted opportunity if not.

Matt:

I don't think families play it much at all.  It requires "rented" clubs, specialty golf balls, and isn't located at the hotel proper.  There's really no local public play on any of the Greenbrier courses as far as I can tell.

Seems like a no brainer, though.

WW

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back