News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: KP 2012 is next week! More info
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2012, 02:12:45 AM »
P.S.  I'm finally off the snide for Grudge Match as I got one in the win column.  I won 6 & 4 but Garland has been battling some injuries, so he didn't have his normal stuff.  And on one of the par 5s we played, which is about as quirky a par 5 as you will ever see, Garland won the hole with a 10 to my 11!   ;D

What are you talking about Kalen? You know perfectly well that I withdrew from the grudge match due to injury. Do you have any witnesses that we played a grudge match? Do you even have a signed scorecard?

Nice story about the 10 to 11 win, but you can't make it sound authentic by making up farcical stories.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2012, 02:17:52 AM »
I'm with you Kalen - I have played 8 rounds at Sagebrush and I still haven't figured out the best way to play the 16th, especially off the tee.  The 7th became much easier when I finally realized that it's meant to play as a three shot hole.

Bob McGhie and I solved 16 pretty well. My 2 wood off the tee to left edge of upper fairway, Bob's 5 hybrid onto green.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2012, 02:36:12 AM »
I wish to add my thanks to Bob and to all of you for making my friend Bob so welcome. He felt so comfortable he was able to play the best golf I have seen him play in a long time. Going from shooting 112 at Wine Valley on Thursday to cleaning all your clocks was quite an accomplishment. ;D

As a side note, one of the best side events to KP tourneys is Rich's food tours. I have been the beneficiary at each KP I have attended, and am grateful. If any of you guys have ever wondered what Peking Duck is all about, you could have learned in the finest style Monday evening.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2012, 10:51:26 AM »
We were supporting the golf club by eating and drinking at th Hideout. And the local beef industry. :-\

Kalen Braley

« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2012, 11:52:48 AM »
P.S.  I'm finally off the snide for Grudge Match as I got one in the win column.  I won 6 & 4 but Garland has been battling some injuries, so he didn't have his normal stuff.  And on one of the par 5s we played, which is about as quirky a par 5 as you will ever see, Garland won the hole with a 10 to my 11!   ;D

What are you talking about Kalen? You know perfectly well that I withdrew from the grudge match due to injury. Do you have any witnesses that we played a grudge match? Do you even have a signed scorecard?

Nice story about the 10 to 11 win, but you can't make it sound authentic by making up farcical stories.

Garland,

Its good to see you haven't lost your sense of humor.  I look forward to our next match so I can even up the series!!   :)

P.S.  I do have the scorecard, don't make me scan it in and post it!!! :)

Sandy Smith

« Reply #105 on: June 13, 2012, 11:54:34 PM »
I would just like to thank all the participants of this year's KP for a great three days of golf. Special kudos to Bob Jenkins for organizing this special event.
Hopefully the deep scar of letting the North down on the final match to Will heals quickly. It stills hurt like he'll!

Firm greens, firmer fairways.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #106 on: June 14, 2012, 03:49:32 AM »
Sandy,

I concluded that 3, 6, and maybe 17 are original Macan greens. How did I do?

Garland Bayley

« Reply #107 on: June 14, 2012, 03:51:47 AM »
P.S.  I do have the scorecard, don't make me scan it in and post it!!! :)

What are you saying? That you forged a scorecard so you and continue this ruse?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #108 on: June 14, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
C'mon now Garland.....this is so unbecoming of you.  Remember....

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #109 on: June 14, 2012, 05:39:42 PM »
A very special thank you to his Lordship Bob Jenkins, his able assitant Will MacEwan and Sandy Smith for making this a truely memorable King's Putter. After attending a fair share of these events I must confess that our outing in Canada will be very hard to top. The folks at Sagebrush really rolled out the red carpet and the golf course is an outstanding venue. Rod Whitman should be very proud of his creation, there are truely fun and memorable shots to be played at this golf course. It reinforces the Kirk Theorum that the longer it takes for a ball to stop rolling once it hits the ground, the more excitement the golfer receives! The 9th green alone is worth the price of admission, the Jenkins pin Sat, back left can be accesssed by the backstop and was tons of fun. As a group the par 5's are quite interesting; I need to learn to hit the driver off the deck like Pete Pittock so I can reach some of them in two! The greens are some of the smoothest putting surfaces I've ever seen; I'll need a few more trips around to know just where to start them though. The Hideout really makes this a special place from some of the best beef thanks to their chef Scott, great service from Kelly and the warm welcome from Terry. Everyone should try their hand at the fly fishing there; even a novice like myself was able to land a 1.5 lb rainbow trout, very memorable.

A very special thanks go out to Sandy Smith for allowing us to get a taste of Macan at Marine Drive. I can see why Sandy hits it so straight now! The restoration by Jim Urbina  was fabulous, the bunker work is something the Club can be really proud of. It's hard to believe a golf course this good could be fit into 100 acres; modern architects could learn alot from this routing. Vancouver is a wonderful city and I hope to return soon. I was also impressed that Canadian golfers love to walk, it seemed anyone that could, does! All in all the Canadians are a warm and welcoming bunch and anyone looking to plan a fun golf vacation should carefully consider a trip north of the border.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:25:14 AM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Ted Harris

« Reply #110 on: June 14, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
I just wanted to thank Bob and Will for their efforts at Sagebrush and Sandy for arranging our day at Marine Drive. Also wanted to thank Captain Pete L. and my teamates from the South.

I was really great to meet everyone and hopefully we can arrange a yearly get together somewhere in the Northwest !!!!

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #111 on: June 15, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »
Did any of you guys take pictures?  We want evidence of the events!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2012, 12:47:04 AM »
Pete Pittock should have a picture of him surrendering King's Putter to the south captain Pete.

Team pictures were taken, I hope Pete doesn't post them, as I am pictured.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2012, 11:49:36 AM »
I should thank all those young eyes that helped me find my errant drives at Sagebrush. I just counted up this morning, those searches allowed me to come back with 1 dozen ProVs that I traded in some cheap Maxflis and SnakeEyes for. ;D That doesn't even count the Bridgestone 330 Tours, Callaways, Taylor Mades, and one Nike. Seems hardly anyone plays Nikes. Must be the farther you get from Beaverton, OR the fewer users there are. I bet it's the ball of choice in Phil Knight territory, Eugene CC. ;)

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #114 on: June 17, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
Pete Pittock should have a picture of him surrendering King's Putter to the south captain Pete.

Garland. Don't worry, I can photoshop.  Probably won't get anything posted until Thursday.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #115 on: June 17, 2012, 09:46:15 PM »

Garland. Don't worry, I can photoshop.  Probably won't get anything posted until Thursday.

Good! See if you can swap the Big Easy's face in there for me. ;D

Bob Jenkins

« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2012, 11:08:34 PM »

I have been waiting for a few pics to be posted by Pete and a few others but will hopefully encourage the same with this post.

It has been a distinct pleasure to be able to sponsor as many GCAers as possible to get up to Sagebrush over the last 3 years and one of the things I love most about the place is watching your faces as you watch balls roll out and over the huge greens, sometimes after losing site of the ball for a few seconds. I have always said that it is truly a fun place to play golf and I am pleased to be able to have you guys come up. If anyone else is coming up this way, please get in touch and we will arrange something.

It was great to have Rod Whitman join us for the KP weekend. His experiences at Sagebrush, with Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw and on his own have left a great trail of golf courses and it was special to have him join us. We are all looking forward to completion of the Bugaboos which will be a great putting course.

Also, Terry, Scotty and the others at Sagebrush made the event very special and to envision the future of the course, with the members cottages and lodge bodes well for the future of Sagebrush. Finally, it was not just Rod but also Dick Zokol and Arman Suny who collaborated to design and build this great golf course we can now enjoy. Thanks to all of them and the foresight of Dick to find this site and recognize it's potential. We miss you, Dick, especially at the Hideout. Thank you.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #117 on: June 23, 2012, 12:32:19 AM »

Garland. Don't worry, I can photoshop.  Probably won't get anything posted until Thursday.

My 3 days rules schedule for the Oregon Amateur turned into a five day marathon except for a nice break Thursday morning with the McBrides.  I am resting up and will get to the pictures tomorrow.

Have openings for my next trip up to Sagebrush the last wekend in August.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 12:37:10 AM by Pete_Pittock »

Bill_McBride

« Reply #118 on: June 23, 2012, 01:34:50 AM »

I have been waiting for a few pics to be posted by Pete and a few others but will hopefully encourage the same with this post.

It has been a distinct pleasure to be able to sponsor as many GCAers as possible to get up to Sagebrush over the last 3 years and one of the things I love most about the place is watching your faces as you watch balls roll out and over the huge greens, sometimes after losing site of the ball for a few seconds. I have always said that it is truly a fun place to play golf and I am pleased to be able to have you guys come up. If anyone else is coming up this way, please get in touch and we will arrange something.

It was great to have Rod Whitman join us for the KP weekend. His experiences at Sagebrush, with Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw and on his own have left a great trail of golf courses and it was special to have him join us. We are all looking forward to completion of the Bugaboos which will be a great putting course.

Also, Terry, Scotty and the others at Sagebrush made the event very special and to envision the future of the course, with the members cottages and lodge bodes well for the future of Sagebrush. Finally, it was not just Rod but also Dick Zokol and Arman Suny who collaborated to design and build this great golf course we can now enjoy. Thanks to all of them and the foresight of Dick to find this site and recognize it's potential. We miss you, Dick, especially at the Hideout. Thank you.

Thanks for putting this whole experience together, Bob, it was quite a special trip. 

For the beef eaters out there, you will not believe the steaks and prime rib prepared by Chef Scotty.   OMG!!   ;D

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2012, 09:15:25 PM »
The gracioius hosts

The winning South team

The extravagantly staged retention of the Kings Putter. This is the first time I ever held it.

The Big Bertha Bunker at Marine Drive's 17th hole. One of the three deepest I've seen and the only one of them I missed

« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 09:26:23 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #120 on: June 23, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »
    Belated thanks to TRH Robert Jenkins for setting this up and to my co-captain and Formula 303 buddy Pete Lavallee. I have never been at a GCA event where so few pictures were taken, let alone posted.  The pace picked up markedly in the singles and foursome formats. Also at Marine Drive which has a sign telling members to be sure and time themselves in on the pace of play clock. We managed four hour rounds there.
   Also thank you to Jordan Caron, Will MacEwen and Dale Jackson for our extension to Victoria. The greens at Royal Colwood were spectacular. Last night I dreamt I was in golf/curling fusion event where my partner/caddy also acted as a sweep with a broom to roughen or smooth the green, trying to stop and/or turn the ball. Victoria was an absolute blast and severely underranked. I am going to have to look up the Wnderful World of Golf episode that was played there in 1968 between Al Geiberger and George Knudson.  
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:42:22 PM by Pete_Pittock »

John Kirk

« Reply #121 on: June 23, 2012, 11:15:46 PM »
Everything Peter P. says:

Lots of thanks forthcoming.  So much to remember.  Got stories to tell.

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #122 on: June 24, 2012, 12:07:49 AM »
I'm not sure about that handoff lads...  ;)

Hopefully a good time was had by all and more pics / stories to share shortly.
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Garland Bayley

« Reply #123 on: June 25, 2012, 12:01:19 AM »
Patrick,

You might have noticed there is another thread going on about needing distances to play a course. Sagebrush only has sprinkler numbers on the sprinkler heads, and the score card does not give yardages or par. It's a treat to go there and look for a place to try to hit to, and give it a go. Certainly an experience than many players avoid like the plague. Such players can always buy the yardage book that will give them the yardages once they have the sprinkler head number. I had actually played a few rounds there before I knew there were 4 par 5s. Perhaps this is why Pete Pittock told me I was a cheapskate. Or, maybe it was my propensity to seek out Motel 6.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back