News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Carl Nichols

Re: Should Bandon Allow Limited Cart Play?
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
Would it be nothing short of great if you could take a cart in the afternoon, after playing 18?

Terry can speak for himself, but I'm assuming his post is primarily driven not by an interest in whether Bandon could/would be more profitable with carts, but in his own interest in being able to play more golf if carts are available.  Like many others, I prefer walking -- but it's not super-easy to walk 36 holes or more 4 or 5 days in a row, and I'd rather play 36 holes 4 or 5 days in a row, with a few of the 2nd rounds in a cart, than to play less golf than that. 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 12:30:42 PM »
Would it be nothing short of great if you could take a cart in the afternoon, after playing 18?

Terry can speak for himself, but I'm assuming his post is primarily driven not by an interest in whether Bandon could/would be more profitable with carts, but in his own interest in being able to play more golf if carts are available.  Like many others, I prefer walking -- but it's not super-easy to walk 36 holes or more 4 or 5 days in a row, and I'd rather play 36 holes 4 or 5 days in a row, with a few of the 2nd rounds in a cart, than to play less golf than that. 

Agreed.  I'll still continue to go to Bandon regardless, but I'd really like the opportunity to play the second 18 on a cart if possible.  My other inquiries relate to the business model, not my personal situation.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dan King

« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 12:33:28 PM »
There are 100s of courses that allow carts all over the course.  Why is it so bad to have a single golf resort that discourages carts?  Can't the cartball people go elsewhere?

I have no problem with people who can't walk 36 not playing 36.

Cheers,
Dan King
I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the courses and rob us of our exercise. I don't think evolution is goin' ahead so much as just goin' along breedin' more unfitness every day.
 --Julian Lang (Golf in the Kingdom)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 12:34:01 PM »
Let the least popular, already most compromised, course host cart riders in the afternoon.  It would be a win/win for everyone if Bandon Trails allowed carts given it would free up the other courses for afternoon rounds while letting those who choose to ride play.  I've played Bandon Crossings and it is not a reasonable option for a second 18 as long as a guy can find an open bar.

Yes Bandon Trails was compromised when they put in a cart on 14 and butchered the green to shut up the critics.

Sean_A

« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 12:43:39 PM »
I am not comfortable (to get all Californian on ya) with the assumption that the vibe would be damaged by carts unless of course its due to a fear of cart paths being installed.  I don't see carts as measure of the golfer or how serious he is about golf.  I don't mind if carts are allowed so long as cart paths are not built.  I suspect that means a very limited number of carts would be in operation and the resort could say "no carts allowed" if and when they think it best to do so.  I know that would be tough on cart ballers, but thats life.  

Ciao    
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 12:58:28 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »
Probably not. I think they require a caddy driver or the carts because they have specific "paths" they want the limited cart usage to take on certain pats of the course, and these are not easily visible and intuitive. There would have to be a lot of engineering done to allow carts to get from 13 green to 14 tee at Trails and other places. I'd guess that some of gthe architecture is different because of the no-cart philosophy.

Terry Lavin

« Reply #31 on: May 30, 2012, 12:50:41 PM »
There's no question that allowing carts on any of the courses would require some cartpath construction and perhaps some modifications to some tees.  As for making one course (BT perhaps) the only place to allow carts, that change would require regrassing because the fescue wouldn't survive with that much cart traffic.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Garland Bayley

« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2012, 12:52:57 PM »
...Their demographic likes to ride.  Me included.

John,

You need to shape up. Do it for your health. Do it for your wife.

To say I ride because I am fat is as ignorant as saying walkers carry because they are cheap.

Golf is a walking game. If you are capable of walking, you should because it will do your health good among other things. Shape up private.

Why do you bring up fat?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2012, 01:01:02 PM »
There's no question that allowing carts on any of the courses would require some cartpath construction and perhaps some modifications to some tees.  As for making one course (BT perhaps) the only place to allow carts, that change would require regrassing because the fescue wouldn't survive with that much cart traffic.

If there is no way to use carts properly without altering the courses (I consider paths an alteration) than I would be dead against carts.  I am against paths in almost every situation so I can't see tearing up what are meant to be unique courses for the US for the sake of accommodating carts.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Dan King

« Reply #34 on: May 30, 2012, 01:07:21 PM »
If you allow some use of carts -- beyond the disabled -- you will end up allowing carts for everyone.  There is no way some customer paying $100s to play is going to allow someone else to use a cart when they aren't allowed. Before long Bandon will be just like every other resort course, with cartballers playing the course just to put another notch in their list of golf courses.

I like that golf course collectors have to get in good enough shape to add Bandon to their collection.

Cheers,
Dan King
So the British, of all ages, still walk the course. On trips to Florida or the American desert, they still marvel, or shudder, at the fleets of electric carts going off in the morning like the first assault wave at the Battle of El Alamein. It is unlikely, for some time, that a Briton will come across in his native land such a scorecard as Henry Longhurst rescued from a California club and cherished till the day he died. The last on its list of local rules printed the firm warning "A Player on Foot Has No Standing on the Course."
 --Alister Cooke

Stephen Davis

« Reply #35 on: May 30, 2012, 01:14:06 PM »
If you allow some use of carts -- beyond the disabled -- you will end up allowing carts for everyone.  There is no way some customer paying $100s to play is going to allow someone else to use a cart when they aren't allowed. Before long Bandon will be just like every other resort course, with cartballers playing the course just to put another notch in their list of golf courses.

I like that golf course collectors have to get in good enough shape to add Bandon to their collection.

Cheers,
Dan King
So the British, of all ages, still walk the course. On trips to Florida or the American desert, they still marvel, or shudder, at the fleets of electric carts going off in the morning like the first assault wave at the Battle of El Alamein. It is unlikely, for some time, that a Briton will come across in his native land such a scorecard as Henry Longhurst rescued from a California club and cherished till the day he died. The last on its list of local rules printed the firm warning "A Player on Foot Has No Standing on the Course."
 --Alister Cooke
I very much agree with this. I do love that it takes just a little bit more commitment to play these courses.

Tim Pitner

« Reply #36 on: May 30, 2012, 01:24:22 PM »
No.  Allowing carts would ruin the experience, invite too many douchebags and turn Bandon into just another golf resort, albeit with superior courses.  No.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #37 on: May 30, 2012, 01:26:34 PM »

To say I ride because I am fat is as ignorant as saying walkers carry because they are cheap.

Well, for some of us that's true.  Sure, I walk because I enjoy the experience, the exercise, and I'm young and fit enough to do it.  But saving $20 per round is somewhat motivating as well. 

Tim Leahy

« Reply #38 on: May 30, 2012, 01:27:00 PM »
As someone with two bad knees who can't walk nine holes let alone eighteen, I would welcome carts in a limited capacity at Bandon. Kiawah allows carts in the afternoon and it doesn't seem to hurt the course. When I started playing in 1976 there were no cart paths on my home course and there didn't seem to be any noticeable damage. I don't approve of cart only courses and I also don't think there should be cart free courses either. If Cypress Point, Olympic and Riviera can allow carts why not Bandon. I don't use handicap spots for parking, why should I have to get a note to play a golf course. I would think if Bandon was proud of their courses they would find a way to show them to all golfers who were interested in playing them.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #39 on: May 30, 2012, 01:30:58 PM »
I've seen a couple of places using these:

http://www.segway.com/downloads/pdfs/golf/Golf_Mgmt_Case_Studylow.pdf

p.s. "Cartballers" would have no place to put their beers, etc.  ;)
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Dan King

« Reply #40 on: May 30, 2012, 01:37:22 PM »
Tim  Leahy writes:
As someone with two bad knees who can't walk nine holes let alone eighteen, I would welcome carts in a limited capacity at Bandon.

Bandon does go out of its way to ensure you can see the golf course. All you need is a note from your doctor. I fail to see how it is Bandon's fault you don't want to take an extra step to play the course the way you want to play it.

I don't approve of cart only courses and I also don't think there should be cart free courses either.

You do understand they exist though, right?

I would think if Bandon was proud of their courses they would find a way to show them to all golfers who were interested in playing them.

Why?

Probably at least 95 percent of American golf courses allow unlimited use of carts. Some number of those only allow golf by carts and others are designed in such a way it would be difficult to play on foot. Cartballers have so many choices, why do you need to screw-up some of the few courses in the world left for walking diehards.

Cheers,
Dan King
I think golf carts take a little piece of golf's quality away. The  tradition of the game is being passed by because revenue is the number one consideration. There's money in carts.
 --Richard Zokol

Michael George

« Reply #41 on: May 30, 2012, 01:37:51 PM »
1.  Have 1 course per day designated as the golf cart course - Wednesday through Saturday - on a rotating basis.  Walking all 4 four courses Sunday through Tuesday.  That way, an older person could play all 4 courses over 4 days.  Plus, it would not hurt the vibe because the walkers would avoid that 1 course each day that had carts - ie. if I went there, I would play 36 at Pac Dunes and Old Macdonald if Bandon Dunes was the cart course that day.  Plus, 1 day of carts per week would not be detrimental to the courses.  Plus, they can get rid of the doctors notes.

2.  Have "bag carriers" that cost $40-$60 per round instead of the $80-$100.  That would allow them to keep only the best caddies and get rid of those with attitudes (which I saw a lot).  Plus, it would lower the cost for the average guy.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: May 30, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »
No.  Allowing carts would ruin the experience, invite too many douchebags and turn Bandon into just another golf resort, albeit with superior courses.  No.

In all honesty, the double strap carry bag which promotes iron clicking would cure any yeast infection.  Now that the modern cart is equipped with a silent parking brake I find walkers more likely to be rude than cartballers.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
As someone with two bad knees who can't walk nine holes let alone eighteen, I would welcome carts in a limited capacity at Bandon. Kiawah allows carts in the afternoon and it doesn't seem to hurt the course. When I started playing in 1976 there were no cart paths on my home course and there didn't seem to be any noticeable damage. I don't approve of cart only courses and I also don't think there should be cart free courses either. If Cypress Point, Olympic and Riviera can allow carts why not Bandon. I don't use handicap spots for parking, why should I have to get a note to play a golf course. I would think if Bandon was proud of their courses they would find a way to show them to all golfers who were interested in playing them.

The difference being the courses you named are private and already have a system in place to limit the damage to the course. If Bandon were allow unlimited cart use, I fear the courses would be ruined.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2012, 01:46:29 PM »
Seems real easy to set something like this up.

1) You determine how many rounds per day that X course can handle with the cart.
2)  You set up a block of tee times for "approved" cart use.  Whether its in the PM or one course per day, whatever that works out to be.
3)  You take the tee times and have the software keep track of the cart reservations.
4)  When the "alloted" rounds per day number is met, its met....no more carts are allocated.

Simple as that.

Will MacEwen

« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2012, 01:48:40 PM »
Seems real easy to set something like this up.

1) You determine how many rounds per day that X course can handle with the cart.
2)  You set up a block of tee times for "approved" cart use.  Whether its in the PM or one course per day, whatever that works out to be.
3)  You take the tee times and have the software keep track of the cart reservations.
4)  When the "alloted" rounds per day number is met, its met....no more carts are allocated.

Simple as that.

The status quo is even simpler. 

Jud_T

« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2012, 01:50:59 PM »
I like carts as much as the next guy, particularly with my knees, but Bandon should definitely not allow cart play except for those with a medical excuse.  If you had certain times that allowed cart play those would sell out immediately and the entire feel of the place would be changed forever.  The courses are designed for walking, the caddies are some of the best around and the weather is cool.  If I can walk 36 there most anyone can.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 01:53:18 PM »
I would like it if Bandon had limited cart play as I am seriously considering dropping out of my November group. Last year I was barely able to make all four rounds, with caddy.

William_G

« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 02:05:10 PM »
Sand Hills is very walkable, perfect in every way.  Their demographic likes to ride.  Me included.

I'm surprised that their demographic likes to ride, I mean how can you really enjoy a #1 course by cart?

How can a course that is #1 be #1 from from a cart?

Architecture w/o carts is better than architecture w/ carts.  8)

Thanks
It's all about the golf!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
I would like it if Bandon had limited cart play as I am seriously considering dropping out of my November group. Last year I was barely able to make all four rounds, with caddy.

I think that is a fair and legitimate problem. Being born in 1960 I am at the end of largest golfing demographic that will ever exist.  I doubt if I will ever visit Bandon again but if I do it will absolutely need to be in the next 10 years.  Us golfers are getting older and there are no replacements behind us to fill these tee sheets.  You can't expect a bunch of 60, 70 and 80 year olds to keep a public walking only resort functioning.

I'm taking a 72 year old to Dismal this week.  I could not take him to Bandon.  Not everyone is as lucky as me.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back