News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Stephen Davis

R&A testing limited flight golf balls
« on: May 30, 2012, 12:56:17 AM »
This article is on geoffshackleford.com. Here is the link and the Google Translation from Swedish. The translation is pretty funny, but you get the gist.

http://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2012/5/29/ra-still-openly-seeking-swedish-golfers-for-top-secret-reduc.html

Thanks to Golf Digest's Stina Sterberg and Mike Stachura for Tweeting another plea for golfers to help test a shorter-flying tournament ball. My Swedish is still rusty from the last post, so I'll offer the Swedish and Google's take.

Vill du bli historisk den 3 juni?

R&A. Alla vet vad det är? Världen mest kända golfklubb (utan egen bana ….), som bla drivermajorn British Open och har tillsammans med USGA regelansvaret i golfvärlden.

R&A försöker alltid ligga före i tanken om hur golf skall utvecklas i framtiden. Ett problem, som man inte sticker under stol med, är att vi slår längre och längre. Speciellt de bästa spelarna börjar ”växa ur” de bästa banorna. Snart är det bara vidrigt väder som kan göra golfen riktigt svår.

Sedan många år arbetar R&A med att låta tillverka en golfboll som behåller dagens flygegenskaper men som går något kortare. Nu har de tagit fram en prototyp som man vill börja göra tester med och inte bara på brittiska öarna och det i form av en vanlig golftävling, men vanliga klubbspelare.

Nu har vi tur. De har valt att komma till Österåker (2 juni) och Åker

And the translation...

Want to become a historic June 3?

R & A. Everyone knows what it is? The world's most famous golf club (without own orbit ....), that are driving majorn British Open, has been working with the USGA rule responsibilities in the golf world.

R & A always try to keep ahead of the thought of how golf should be developed in the future. One problem that can not deny!, Is to pull further and further. Especially the best players start to "outgrow" the best courses. Soon it's just disgusting weather that can make golf very difficult.

For many years, R & A to have manufactured a golf ball that keeps today's flight characteristics but goes a little shorter. Now, they have developed a prototype that you want to do tests with and not just the British Isles and in the form of a regular golf tournament, but the ordinary club player.

Now we turn. They have chosen to come to Österåker (2 June) and Åkersberga (June 3). Staff from the R & A will be on hand to provide information, interviews and of course provide all participants with balls. Our competition June 3 is open to all members and guests. Take a chance. First come first served.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 01:45:28 AM by Stephen Davis »

Mark Pearce

Re: R&A testing limited flight golf balls
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 03:45:37 AM »
The R&A have been testing rolled back balls for several years.  Three or four years ago my eldest son played in a test medal at Elie with a limited distance ball.  I'm not sure what this further testing is intended to achieve, unless they've changed their limited ball.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2012, 03:57:53 AM »

I believe it is an exercise in covering ones backside after the comments over the recent years. The important question is – is it a serious exercise or just done to say that they have examined the question.  Are they finally getting wise realising that they must at least look at these concerns or as I suspect and mentioned above, it all about self-protection and little to do with actually changing anything.

But hope springs eternal 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2012, 05:26:34 AM »
"Soon it's just disgusting weather that can make golf very difficult."

Keeper!

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2012, 05:40:28 AM »
Mark,

Great quote.

Sad, but true.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2012, 05:53:39 AM »

Mark

“Soon it's just disgusting weather that can make golf very difficult." I thought we were talking about golf. 

In Scotland it’s a way of life, the elements only affect the really young, the old or those least dedicated to being known as a golfer.

But then I suppose we are talking about commitment, that special spark long lost by our friends at the R&A.

Melvyn 

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2012, 06:04:17 AM »
Melvyn, how do you know the R&A (or Google Swedish) isn't defining "disgusting weather" in Scots terms as opposed to, say, American terms?

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:45 AM »
Mark

Let's not forget who we are talking about. It takes them years to consider if a subject is even worth considering.

This is mental time travel in reverse. Talk about making money and the whole thing goes into overdrive proving that they can take action. Yet I suppose if you consider the two fast track items they approved quickly are draining not just the spirit out of the game but its life blood too. I am of course talking about carts and distance aids being made legal.

It’s taken the game 600 years to finally find consistency with ball and club and then the R&A take over. Within 50 years the great traditions and what has underpinned the game for centuries is allowed to be whittled away by the less committed players on this planet, because they do not want to embrace the game only parts thus decide walking is out and all forms of outside information is now fair game as they do not have the time anymore to acquire skill by the old fashion way of practice, practice, practice.

It’s under their watch that the great parts of the game are being devalued but for what, a bunch of lazy players who can’t be bothered to walk let alone think for themselves.

Many say ‘Live and Let Live’ and watch with great big smiles on our face as we see the parts that make the game so good being discarded. But for what ultimate benefit to the game or golfers?

Some do not have the right to call themselves Golfers, players yes but golfers, no that takes guts and honesty to not just play the game but also to raise ones voice in protecting for something we apparently say we love.

Live and let live, shouts that seem to come from the fence sitters airing on the side of least resistance, willing to sacrifice it all for an easy life.

Thank God for the R&A ship Titanic, badly holed by its own indifferences yet somehow still afloat.

Just an opinion.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:07:13 AM by Melvyn Hunter Morrow »

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 09:19:51 AM »
Nothing new - The R&A conducted a joint test with the USGA at French Creek (Pennsylvania, USA) two years ago.

Essentially they used a Bridgestone E5 with a different dimple pattern that increased the spin rate.  To me, it was a complete success.  I lost about 5 yards on my driver, my 70 MPH swing wife actually gained a couple of yards.  But our club's biggest hitters went from 280 --> 260 off the tee.

I'm still amazed the R&A flew in a guy from Scotland for the test.

---------------------
My post from August, 2010: 

When the USGA/R&A were out at French Creek, they took Trackman readings on 3 different tees AND the practice range.  It looks like they've been researching this for a while now.

However, the R&A gentleman we had lunch with gave us the impression that we shouldn't hold our breath waiting for anything to happen.

Besides - does anybody think that Acushnet and its competitors wouldn't sue the USGA if a reduced flight ball were mandated?  It'd make Ping's lawsuit look minor in comparison.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2012, 09:24:54 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Tim_Cronin

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 05:20:53 PM »
I've been using this short distance ball for about 30 years. What's the big deal?
The website: www.illinoisgolfer.net
On Twitter: @illinoisgolfer

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back