News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Moore

Kebo Valley Club (HC Leeds 1892) - photos
« on: June 25, 2003, 07:04:27 PM »
In the style of and with many thanks to Ran Morrissett -

Kebo Valley Club
Bar Harbor, Maine
Herbert C. Leeds - 1892

Herbert Leeds certainly laid down six holes at the Kebo Valley Club in 1892.  His contributions later on are less precisely documented. The course expanded to nine holes in 1896, and that work is credited to a member named Waldron Bates and a pro named Shirley Liscomb.  Leeds was involved with the building the final nine holes, but the degree of that involvement is another research project for another day. I know there is keen interest in Mr. Leeds on this site, which is the reason for this post.

Kebo Valley is a delight, mostly due to the variety of shots that will fall upon the golfer over the course of a round.  There is decent variety on the one-shotters, a couple of driveable par fours and both par fives are reachable via blind shots over a hazard. Approaches could be from any stance, and on my visit the rough was at such a length that you could find the ball and hit it squarely, but with severely reduced spin. The course measures 6131 yards and plays to a par of 70.

Finally, as you might expect, the greens complexes are outstanding. Most putts on the course have a great deal of break in them, and while interior contours are largely absent, there are many "false sides" as well as false fronts, and, yes, a couple of "false backs".  Putting and chipping on these slopes requires concentration and imagination.

Holes of Note

1 - 392 yards
All bunkers are always in play, and the one in the middle of the fairway at 280 yards is becoming more so each day.  The green's murderous pitch from left to right must be taken into account on the second shot. A ripping opener.

The course has seen some wind over the years

3 - 355 yards
Plain and simple. The canting fairway  leaves most drives on the right hand side, where the bad angle and the ball below your feet combine for a testy approach. In 1926 Donald Ross suggested that the green and the fourth tee be brought down from the top of the hill, which seems like wise advice.

Today's back pin occupies an extremely narrow strip of green.

7 - 327 yards
Two existing features, the creek on the left and the ridge on the right, come together perfectly. Hit your extremely blind tee shot too close to the creek and your approach will be partially obscured. That is perhaps preferable to being on the side of the ridge, whose hook lie out of the rough quickly brings the creek back into play. To top it all off, some golfers might be tempted to drive the green, for which reason I did not like the fuzzy caterpillar hazard just short of the green. Nevertheless astounding and easily my favorite.

I behaved myself and did not digitally remove the cart path.

8 - 435 yards
The creek follows the golfer around this corner of the property and all the way down the left hand side of number eight. The hole flows gently around the corner and slightly downhill, graciously accepting any shot coming in from the right, giving everyone a chance. You can tell this just by looking at the first half of the hole.

The no-frills eighth fairway

9 - 201 yards
Not for the faint of heart, as this green comes from top right to bottom left at full blast. The deep bunker right, plus the hazard twenty yards short, plus the wind in the golfer's face make a this something of a half-par.

No turn, therefore no hot dogs.

12 - 286 yards    16 - 268 yards
The former not particularly driveable at all, the latter highly driveable, and I would bet that most golfers whip out the driver on both. The holes play in the same direction, with a helping wind and slightly uphill to blind targets.

Few can resist a crack at the austere twelfth green

17 - 358 yards
President Taft dropped a 27 on this hole in 1911. Less well known features include the tight fairway which encourages you to lay well back of the hazard, and a frighteningly steep green with an unusually large and largely forgotten bunker long right.

This bunker gets all the attention . . .

. . . but this one is much more in play for the expert
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Dan Kelly

Re:Kebo Valley Club (HC Leeds 1892) - photos
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2003, 09:47:31 PM »
What a fun course this one is! Don't miss it if you're up in the Bar Harbor/Southwest Harbor area.

Michael -- You don't show one of the holes I remember enjoying a lot: a severely uphill, blind par-3 on the front side. I can't remember the number. Remind me: What, exactly, can one see of that green? Just the top of the flagstick?

Two notes, both on how the camera distorts:

-- That No. 1 green, which Michael describes as having a "murderous pitch" from left down to right, really does. You can't see it, really in the picture -- but even on my one and only (to date) round there, I could clearly see that pitch and played for it, boucing one up the very left edge that curled right down to the pretty-far-right pin. Best shot of the day.

-- That Taft-sized bunker on 17 really is as big as it looks, or bigger. What the picture doesn't show is that it's really, really steep. My nephew (good athlete, not a good golfer -- yet) hit one just under the lip, and was standing at such an angle that his sand wedge (probably the wrong club) went BACKWARD down the hill.

I came away thinking that I could play Kebo Valley every day. It'd be a particularly great match-play course, I think.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

kebokid

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2003, 10:04:38 PM »
The blind par 3 on the front is I think #6...  Wonderful golf hole, my last round there I stuck a 4 iron to 3 inches!! ;D Really requires a solid strike of the ball to get it straight up that hill.  Kebo Valley is one of the most fun courses I've ever played.  17 I hit 3 iron, 6 iron close... again, like #6 the anticipation as you struggle up the hill to see where your ball is is magic.  Great golf course.

ForkaB

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2003, 08:48:17 AM »
Bravo, Michael!

A course description with a sense of humo(u)r and perspective.  How novel an idea!

rpurd

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2003, 02:12:40 PM »
I agree with everything written about Kebo.......it is a treasure.......if you have not played or cannot get on Myopia, it is the next best thing.  Leeds used a lot of the same routing for Kebo....including some devilish green complexes.

A 4-star golf experience in the hills of Maine......not exactly the easiest place to get to, but hanging out with the Rockefellers isn't a bad way to spend a weekend!

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 12:26:44 PM »
I am writing this on a terminal at the Anatheum Library on Nantucket, having just returned from sailing the Maine coast and playing five rounds of golf.

We played Boothbay Harbor and Samoset twice and Kebo but once. The latter is an absolute delight and a good test.I was told by the Club professional that with a par of 70 the best score made under competitive conditions is a 65...it seems hard to believe but I daresay few hotshots make it to this rather remost outpost.

I understand that the club claims it is the eighth oldest course in the country.

Michael Moore

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 12:46:48 PM »
Bob -

Thanks for bringing this up, as it reminded me to fix the links.

And please, when visiting Maine, you MUST ask Michael "ask me about golf in Maine" Moore about golf in Maine! Come on!
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

paul cowley

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 07:25:45 PM »
OT but micheal , i played the CC of portland [ross] years ago and enjoyed it very much .....i hear very little mention of it ....what gives ? or is it me.....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2004, 07:26:47 PM by paul cowley »
paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mark_Fine

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 08:17:51 PM »
Michael,
I just played Kebo Valley last week and loved it.  I'm surprised you didn't show photos of all the cop bunkers and chocolate drop mounds.  I sent a few to Tommy.  If he reads this post, maybe he'll put a few up.  What a neat old turn of the century golf course right in Acadia National Park.
Mark

Michael Moore

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 08:51:44 PM »

Michael Moore

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2004, 09:17:06 PM »
Mr. Cowley -

Portland CC is the bomb. It had a decent run on Ran's "The Next Fifty" a few years back. Was fortunate to assist on a high school golf team there when I was teaching. Photos one of these days.

DTaylor18

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2004, 09:24:30 PM »
Michael, we've talked about Kebo before, but I really love that course.  Great gem in the area which amazingly enough is almost never crowded.  I've always walked on and gotten to play in under 20 minutes.  Some great classic holes and alot of fun to paly.  Acadia is way north, but definitely worth the visit when in the area.  And great pictures, thanks.

paul cowley

« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2004, 08:15:08 AM »
mr moore.....in mainish parlance-a-vous is 'the bomb' a desirous entity or condition ?  ;)
....although northern by birth , i'm southern thanks be the pleasure of some omnipotent force and your aforementioned expression is one i'm not akin to.

i did hear that ken venturie showed up at the club wanting to play , but was turned away as a member could not be found to play with him....hmm.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 08:16:28 AM by paul cowley »

Michael Moore

« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2004, 08:35:43 AM »
The bomb is not Down East but rather Black English Vernacular, in this case indicating a course of the highest quality.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2004, 11:48:20 AM »
Paul Cowley,

We called, without an introduction were treated most warmly.

They had had three inches of rain the day before, golf carts were banished, pull carts were scarce, so two of us carried the odd and even clubs. A guaranteed game improvement ploy.

Michael, thanks for reminding me that I should have called you..... next time I shall.

I do wonder what the cognoscenti think about the chocolate drops? Okay for HC Leeds but vile condemnation if done by Rees Jones. The 17th hole might come in for harsh comments from the Tree House gang. In an earlier thread someone mentioned hitting three iron, six iron to the green....must be a big knocker.

paul cowley

« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2004, 06:42:03 PM »
 mr moore ....thank you for the clarification.

...as my earliest years were spent on the emerald isle my knowledge of black english is limited ...now black irish ,well thats another story , but again i find myself quite OT.

please accept my apologies ,

p :)ul

MCirba

Re: Kebo Valley Club (HC Leeds 1892) - photos
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2016, 10:55:32 AM »
This was a terrific little photo tour and thread.

Has anything further been learned over the past decade as to the architect of the 2nd nine holes at Kebo Valley?
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Chris DeToro

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2016, 07:45:52 AM »
For those who have been to Kebo, what about the course made it so interesting?  I've had several people quite recently tell me that it is not worth the trip.  Granted these people aren't super into architecture, but they are avid, pretty well traveled players.  Just curious to get more details

MCirba

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2016, 08:12:56 AM »
Chris,

I'm not sure yet but based on this thread I started a few weeks back I decided to play Cape Arundel first on the drive up to Bar Harbor, stay a few nights and play Kebo Valley while also sightseeing, lobster boating, and eating.  I'll weigh in here after but some of the comments on this thread sounded enticing.  http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62622.0.html
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 08:15:24 AM by MCirba »

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2016, 08:47:26 AM »
How fortuitous that this thread got bumped. I spent several hours in front of the computer yesterday researching a trip to the Bar Harbor area. Kebo Valley Club was one course that I found interesting. The details of my adventure are still to be determined. How many days does it take to do Acadia National Park properly? Same question for Bar Harbor.
Thanks in advance.

Chris DeToro

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2016, 08:52:01 AM »
It does look and sound interesting--not sure where the negativity I've been hearing is coming from.  Now it's a matter of whether I should grovel to fit it in or just bike around the park

MCirba

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2016, 08:57:24 AM »
Jeff and Chris,

Good questions.   We ended up booking 3 nights in Bar Harbor at the Holiday Inn Resort on the water that Jack Crisham recommended on the other thread.   Hoping to play Cape Arundel on the drive up, then on to Bar Harbor where we're staying.   Should have no trouble seeing a lot while still playing Kebo and we've booked a lobster boat that does seal and whale watching as well during a 2-hour cruise and renting bikes at Acadia sounds like part of the plan as well.   

Then, driving up to Cabot.   

Jeff Taylor

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2016, 09:11:42 AM »
Mike,
I assume you know the restrictions that Canada places on foreigners crossing the boarder. If not, do your research.

MCirba

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2016, 09:27:30 AM »
Jeff,

It's been over a decade since I've been in Canada, crossing at Niagara Falls.   

I'm assuming from your cautionary message that something's changed?   Thanks for the heads up...will look into it! 

I guess I should research now so I'll know how to move there after Trump's elected.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 09:31:41 AM by MCirba »

Chris DeToro

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2016, 09:32:13 AM »
we're driving up to St Andrews Canada, playing Algonquin and then staying at the Hampton Inn in Bar Harbor on the way home to RI, but no golf on the docket in BH...yet

you'll love Cabot

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back