News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark_F

Waterville, Dooks and Tralee or...
« on: May 28, 2012, 02:20:25 AM »
I am beginning to plan a trip to Ireland for later this year. 

If there had to be Waterville, Dooks and Tralee or Portmarnock, what would you choose and why?

David_Elvins

Re: Waterville, Dooks and Tralee or...
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 02:27:28 AM »
Mark,

surely the only question when planning an Ireland golf trip is "Clockwise or anticlockwise?"
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Mark_F

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 02:37:49 AM »
David,

I will definitely be starting clockwise, it just depends as to whether that is three o'clock or seven o'clock. :)

Have you been there?

Scott Warren

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 02:45:12 AM »
Mark,

Somewhat OT as it doesn't answer your question, but you absolutely must find a way to include County Louth GC (aka Baltray).

Within 40mins of Dublin Airport, perfect for arrival or departure day.

Mark_F

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:54:10 AM »
Scott,

Don't you worry, I will be playing County Louth no matter what, a photo tour or two convinced me.  :)

At this stage, it will be Portmarnock if I choose that route, then Ballybunion Old and Cashen, possibly Doonbeg, Lahinch, Carne, Sligo, Enniscrone, Murvagh, Narin and Portnoo, Rosapenna Sandy Hills, Portsalon, NW Golf Club, Ballyliffen, Portrush and Portrush Valley, County Down, 2 rounds at County Louth  :) and finishing up with The Island.

i hope.

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 03:22:56 AM »
I am beginning to plan a trip to Ireland for later this year. 

If there had to be Waterville, Dooks and Tralee or Portmarnock, what would you choose and why?

Mark

If you have an invite that is the one I would choose.  Otherwise, strictly from a personal PoV, I would choose Dooks because it would give me a chance to see what Hawtree can do in sand and it is considerably cheaper than the other options.  Plus, Waterville is a long way down if that is the sole course to be played in the area. 

As an aside, on such an extended trip, I would look to pad it with some of the wee courses that have been well profiled. 

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,35261.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49732.0.html

http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,36205.0.html

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,49256.0.html

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Rich Goodale

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 04:51:29 AM »
Far too hectic, Mark....

Between Lahinch and Carne, stop at Mulranny to smell the sheep dung.  You'll think you were in Brora 100 years ago, before Braid came and ruined that course.  Then forget Carne and all the other ones in the west of the Republic except Enniscrone, North West, Ballyliffin Old and Portsalon.  Spend an extra day is each of those places and then get back on the Tour de Posh.

Regardless, Enjoy!

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Mark_F

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 06:15:43 AM »
As an aside, on such an extended trip, I would look to pad it with some of the wee courses that have been well profiled. 

Thanks Sean.  I have seen Ally's tour of Northwest GC here before, which is why I would like to see it.  Strandhill certainly looks interesting.  I like to mix up the big'uns and little'uns on trips like these.

Far too hectic, Mark....
Rich,

I plan on going later in the year, and spending four weeks or so in Ireland.  Still too hectic?

Mark: I would second a recommendation to see Strandhill in Sligo (first link) - another unusual and beautiful gem - cheap as chips too. County Sligo was fine but nothing you won't see on the rest of the courses in your trip

Thanks Brian.  Two votes in already for Strandhill.  Cheap as chips sounds fine by me, even with our currently excellent exchange rate...

Martin Toal

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2012, 06:56:17 AM »
Scott,

Don't you worry, I will be playing County Louth no matter what, a photo tour or two convinced me.  :)

At this stage, it will be Portmarnock if I choose that route, then Ballybunion Old and Cashen, possibly Doonbeg, Lahinch, Carne, Sligo, Enniscrone, Murvagh, Narin and Portnoo, Rosapenna Sandy Hills, Portsalon, NW Golf Club, Ballyliffen, Portrush and Portrush Valley, County Down, 2 rounds at County Louth  :) and finishing up with The Island.

i hope.

Mark

Stunning itinerary. Sounds like the basis for a golf book.

Of those, I would consider dropping North West and heading over sooner to the Portrush area, where I would substitute Portstewart.

I would probably drop Ballybunion Cashen too, and play The Old twice instead.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2012, 07:02:13 AM »
Scott,

i hope.

Mark

Of those, I would consider dropping North West and heading over sooner to the Portrush area, where I would substitute Portstewart.

Yes, with Enniscrone, Portstewart is an unsung course in Ireland. 

Disagreeing with Brian, I wouldn't drop Sligo from the itinerary.  It is a cracking course which uses water as well as any course I know of. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024:Winterfield, Alnmouth, Camden, Palmetto Bluff Crossroads Course, Colleton River Dye Course  & Old Barnwell

Brian Stewart

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
I've played all of the courses you listed multiple times, most at least 3-4 and some far more than that... Portmarnock, Murvagh and Rosses Point inspire me the least.  They're really all very good* but I feel like those courses just don't live up to the others.  Therefore I would go with Waterville, Dooks and Tralee.  I know people hate various elements of Tralee and I can see why but I find it to be a very fun course to play with significant interest.   

*I personally don't like Sligo at all but I know many people do.  The first two holes really make it hard for me to like because it is such a bad start but I will say that I find 6-15 to be enjoyable and very intersting.  18 brings you right back down though. It is just not a course that I personally would spend time at when Enniscrone is merely an hour or so away and is one of my favorite places to play in the world. 

Bart Bradley

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2012, 08:17:45 AM »
Mark: 

Is it a 3 for one trade?

Waterville is the hardest of these to reach.  But the drive there on the Ring of Kerry is spectacular.  The course has some very cool holes but is my least favorite of the four in discussion.  The soil there does not drain like a typical links or possibly it is just much more rainy...either way the ball doesn't bounce like I wish.

Dooks is charming.  Not an elite level course, but fun and beautiful and often baked-out bouncy.

Tralee has a spectacular setting and some truly epic holes on the back nine.  Ran's photo tour reveals the majesty of Tralee.  I like 2, 3 and 8 a lot on the front nine too.

Portmarnock is likely the best course but possibly the least inspiring.

I hope you are playing Lahinch,  Ballybunion and County Down more than once.

Remember, driving in W. Ireland takes much longer than the distance indicates...much, much longer.

Happy to recommend some accommodations if you like.  Don't hesitate to IM me.

Have a great time...Ireland is fantastic.

Bart

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2012, 10:56:07 AM »
Scott,

i hope.

4 weeks???
Sounds great,particularly as I lick my wounds after a long Memorial day weekend........... ;) ;D ::) ::) ::)

In 4 weeks I think getting down to Dooks/Waterville/Tralee and the Ring of Kerry is essential.
Will be far more memorable than Portmarnock,even though it's a good courses as well.

IM if you need a few gem trips pnce you figure out your must sees
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 11:27:31 AM »
Portmarnock for it is the best of them by far. It is a great course that to me is 4th in Ireland. Waterville and tralee have better settings and deserve to be on the rotation as well.

Mark_F

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2012, 04:46:46 PM »
Mark: 

Is it a 3 for one trade?

Bart,

Sort of. I am looking at going in November after I finish school for the year. All of the courses I am interested in have winter green fees, apart from Portmarnock, and for the 180 Euro they want, I can get the other three.  Portmarnock also seems to have pretty steady support as a good course, whereas the opinions on Waterville and Tralee are much more divided, which is more interesting to me.

I hope you are playing Lahinch,  Ballybunion and County Down more than once.
So do I!

4 weeks???
Sounds great,particularly as I lick my wounds after a long Memorial day weekend........... ;) ;D ::) ::) ::)

In 4 weeks I think getting down to Dooks/Waterville/Tralee and the Ring of Kerry is essential.
Will be far more memorable than Portmarnock,even though it's a good courses as well.

IM if you need a few gem trips pnce you figure out your must sees

Jeff,

I'm a student, so we get plenty of time off after from November to March. :)  Thanks for your info. I'll definitely get in touch once I set things in stone.

Dónal Ó Ceallaigh

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2012, 05:07:47 PM »
Mark,

If you're planning on playing the Island, you could also try Corballis which is right next to it. It's a pay-and-play course, but don't let that deter you. They've added a few new holes in the dunes in recent years (by Ron Kirby). Here's a link to the club website:

http://www.corballislinks.com/

Here's a link to some photos (from 2011 version of website):

http://corballisgolflinks.com/course/photo-gallery.html

I'd recommend you play Laytown & Bettystown (L&B) on your way to Co. Louth (Baltray). L&B is just south of Drogheda along the coast and is a delightful links course. It's not long, but it has some fine holes. It's not a "championship" course; more of a hidden gem. Here's the club's website:

www.landb.ie

and here are a few photos:

http://www.worldgolf.com/photo-galleries/laytown-bettystown-golf-club-12490.htm

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2012, 05:49:32 PM »
Hi Mark,

Naturally, I'd disagree that Portmarnock is anything less than supremely inspiring. Send me an IM and hopefully we can meet up.

North-West was good fun with some really good original holes. But it certainly has some weak holes as well. If you don't go expecting too much and choose a quiet time, it would make a great quick fill-in round.

Personally, I'd add Strandhill also as one of your lesser knowns... And I'm glad to see Portsalon on your list... Grab Mulranny's 9 holes on the way up to Carne as Rich said...

Sounds like a great trip over 4 weeks... The real key is to choose the right villages to stay in with the warmest pubs and best food... The golf will take care of itself...

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2012, 06:23:37 PM »
Mark / Bart

The turf at Waterville is nothing short of world class. Putter from 120 yards on the first.

Play in the South and also go to Dingle. Longish drives but they're beautiful. Stop at Inch on the way.
@Pure_Golf

Jim Tang

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2012, 07:51:03 PM »
Of those 4, I've only played Dooks and Waterville.  Of those two, I would choose Dooks.  I was not overly impressed with Waterville.  It was more of an American golf experience, almost too perfect for links golf.

Dooks has more quirk and felt much more authentic to the spirit of Irish golf.

Ted Harris

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2012, 08:07:52 PM »
I would easily take the 3 courses near the Ring of Kerry over Portmarnock !!! You could play Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links right next door as an option in Dublin if you needed a course close to the airport after your arrival.

Another course to consider would be Dunfanaghy - spectacular setting with a few unique holes - possibly a more interesting course than NW Golf Club ?

I agree with those who suggested Portstewart if it can fit into your budget !

Another consideration would be to add Castlerock - close enough to Portrush/Portstewart that you might be able to play 36 ?
even the 9 hole Bann course at Castlerock is a good experience !

Is Rosapenna open in November ? possibly not after looking at their website ? - Cruit Island is a fun 9 holer in the area that could be an option if you are making your way from Portnoo to Portsalon.

« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 08:11:33 PM by Ted Harris »

Mark_F

« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2012, 04:52:14 AM »
North-West was good fun with some really good original holes. But it certainly has some weak holes as well. If you don't go expecting too much and choose a quiet time, it would make a great quick fill-in round.

Personally, I'd add Strandhill also as one of your lesser knowns... And I'm glad to see Portsalon on your list... Grab Mulranny's 9 holes on the way up to Carne as Rich said...

Ally,

I don't mind if NW has a few weak holes - it looks like it has some pretty good ones as well, and some really cool and interesting greens, so that will more than make up for any shortcomings.  I'm sure the members up there will be pretty welcoming too.

I'll add Strandhill.  Between you, Brian and Sean, it's pretty difficult to turn down those three opinions. :)

Mark

Martin,

At least a magazine article or two...

I am hoping to play BB Old twice, but even if I only manage once, I think I would still shell out for Cashen, even if it was on another day.  It seems to be a real love or hate type of course, and that intrigues me.

I'd recommend you play Laytown & Bettystown (L&B) on your way to Co. Louth (Baltray). L&B is just south of Drogheda along the coast and is a delightful links course. It's not long, but it has some fine holes. It's not a "championship" course; more of a hidden gem. Here's the club's website:

Donal,

Thanks for that.  L&B certainly looks interesting.  There goes Doonbeg from the itineracy... ;D

Is Rosapenna open in November ? possibly not after looking at their website?
Ted,

The course is open, just not the hotel.  Which is a bit of a bummer, as I am sure I will need a massage from some comely, flame-haired Irish lass by then...

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2012, 07:26:22 AM »

Ally,

I don't mind if NW has a few weak holes - it looks like it has some pretty good ones as well, and some really cool and interesting greens, so that will more than make up for any shortcomings.  I'm sure the members up there will be pretty welcoming too.

I'll add Strandhill.  Between you, Brian and Sean, it's pretty difficult to turn down those three opinions. :)

Mark

Martin,

At least a magazine article or two...

I am hoping to play BB Old twice, but even if I only manage once, I think I would still shell out for Cashen, even if it was on another day.  It seems to be a real love or hate type of course, and that intrigues me.

Donal,

Thanks for that.  L&B certainly looks interesting.  There goes Doonbeg from the itineracy... ;D

Is Rosapenna open in November ? possibly not after looking at their website?
Ted,

The course is open, just not the hotel.  Which is a bit of a bummer, as I am sure I will need a massage from some comely, flame-haired Irish lass by then...

You're not missing a thing with Rosapenna's Hotel being closed.
Several good options for lodging and excellent pubs in the area.
And I do recommend The Old Tom Morris course(what's left of it)

Strandhill and Northwest are great additions,as would be Dunfanaghy.
Northwest is an easy walk,charming, a welcoming pro and membership, and has quite a few good holes.
An interesting use of an ever tightening piece of property (and Buncrana is quite a fun town)
Otway is a odd charming 9 holer near Portsalon
On the way to Carne as memntioned Mulranny is good choice, and if you get near Galway, just west of the city is a wonderful 9 hole gem Connemara Isles.
4 weeks is long time....
Personally I'd spend it at a reasonable pace adding gems, rather than doubling up on the famous,expensive and surely more crowded courses.
although in November, you shouldn't have any problems anywhere, and may have problems finding anyone  ;) ;)at the courses I mention
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jim Sherma

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2012, 08:22:57 AM »
I haven't played Dooks since they finished the renovation but I think it is one of the best places to play that I've ever seen. The views across to Dingle and how thw ground firms up as you move towards the water. It might not be the best architecture, although it certainly isn't bad, but the experience and the day out should not be missed. You will be happy to be alive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back