News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rich Goodale

Re: The St. Andrews connection in Chicago
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:56 AM »
Thanks Rich.  Any ideas on who created the current course? 

No, Dave, but from what I hear from the locals, who cares?

And Tom MacW, vis a vis Doronch and Chicago, the main influence was Bob Macdonald, who travelled across the pond in 1910.  He was at Winnetka and Bob O' Link, but was best known as a player (3rd in 1915 Baltusrol US Open) and teacher (Sarazen, H Smith, Babe Zaharias).  He also brought over his two yonger brothers Bill (1912) and Jack (1919).  With the bros he bult an early driving range and reportedly helped cure CBM's outside/in weak fade.  The RDGC website claims that another emigre ( Bob Grant) was "said to be instrumental in the early growth of golf in Chicago," but after a few minutes on Google I think they are misinformed.  That being said, there were (and are) so many prominent Grant golfers in Dornoch that perhaps this was just another Bob.
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Tom MacWood

« Reply #51 on: June 04, 2012, 06:40:41 AM »
RG
I knew about Bob Macdonald, he was a big time player and one of Sutherland's proteges, but he first worked at Euclid and Buffalo before going to Chicago in 1916. And I believe William worked in Wisconsin; I don't know anything about the others. With the Ross and Macdonald brothers there was definitely a Dornoch pipeline, I'm just not sure it terminated in Chicago.

DMoriarty

« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2012, 12:24:06 PM »
Thanks Rich.  Any ideas on who created the current course? 

No, Dave, but from what I hear from the locals, who cares?

And Tom MacW, vis a vis Doronch and Chicago, the main influence was Bob Macdonald, who travelled across the pond in 1910.  He was at Winnetka and Bob O' Link, but was best known as a player (3rd in 1915 Baltusrol US Open) and teacher (Sarazen, H Smith, Babe Zaharias).  He also brought over his two yonger brothers Bill (1912) and Jack (1919).  With the bros he bult an early driving range and reportedly helped cure CBM's outside/in weak fade.  The RDGC website claims that another emigre ( Bob Grant) was "said to be instrumental in the early growth of golf in Chicago," but after a few minutes on Google I think they are misinformed.  That being said, there were (and are) so many prominent Grant golfers in Dornoch that perhaps this was just another Bob.
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back