News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Roger Wolfe

LaQuinta - CA
« on: May 25, 2012, 02:16:42 PM »
Planning a trip to LaQuinta in May of 2013.  What are the "must plays" our
group should consider?  We usually focus on publics... but privates are always
considered!

Thank you!

Tim Leahy

Re: LaQuinta - CA
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 03:14:00 PM »
Planning a trip to LaQuinta in May of 2013.  What are the "must plays" our
group should consider?  We usually focus on publics... but privates are always
considered!

Thank you!

First know the weather because in May in Palm Springs the temp can soar to over 100 degr by 9am, so plan to play early.
If you stay at La Quinta resort you get access to all the PGA West courses and La Quinta Mountain and Dunes.
Don't miss La Quinta Mountain or the Stadium Course at PGA West.
If you can get on Doak's Stone Eagle-private do so.
Lots of good modern courses in the area and it's hard to play a bad course in that area.
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Jim Johnson

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 03:42:43 PM »
Roger, like Tim said, it can/will be hot. My wife and I golfed in Palm Desert 10 days ago and it was +41 C. all 3 days we were there (but it's a dry heat - lol - 7% humidity). We teed up at 3:00 each day at Desert Willow-Firecliff and at LaQuinta Mountain, and I've never drank so many Gatorades in my life - drank an entire bottle on the 1st tee at Firecliff. Spent $5 at the bar in the LaQuinta clubhouse on a Gatorade substitute I'd never heard of but thought I'd try; spit out the first chug and went to throw it in the recycle bin. My wife laughed at me and said she'd try it; did the same thing. I'll be posting photos of each course this weekend. Enjoy your trip.

Jim

Alex Miller

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 05:03:51 PM »
I'll endorse the Stadium course as well. Just hope you don't catch it on a windy day. It's the favorite Dye I've played so far.

Kris Shreiner

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
Roger,

I find it's mixed bag there. PGA WEST is a bear. The Mountain Course is solid, testing desert golf. Palmer private has some good holes. The heat IS OPPRESSIVE, even in early Summer, so heed the advice to play early AND hydrate often!

An excellent private possibility, that your staying at La Quinta might garner, is the Citrus Course. It hosted Ray Floyd's celebrity event (HONDA sponsored?) in the 90's and is a fine track. It doesn't have the typical feel of desert golf...more of a quality tropical parkland layout, with interesting greens, and the conditions are usually spot on.
If you can get an entree and it's in good shape....TAKE IT! Ask one of the pros if they might call over and see what they say? It CAN'T be busy there now, so the rate shouldn't be too extortionate and you may get a shot at playing it.
Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back