News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ron Farris

Golf Books -2 years - Bye Bye
« on: May 24, 2012, 03:46:01 PM »
I am headed to my garage to go through 3 or 4 boxes full of golf related books that I have collected over the past 30 years.
We are downsizing and getting rid of things we have not used in years.  My wife has a theory that if you have not used IT in 2 years then you don't need it. Plus most of IT you can get from the internet.

I don't adhere to this philosophy, but I am willing to part with these books. At least some of them, perhaps not the Confidential Guides from Tom, but yes to others.

I am torn on who to give/sell these books to.  If you were me would you get rid of the wife and keep the books, scan every page and burn the books, give the books to close golfing friends or do the Ebay gig?

I should have a list of titles, authors, and editions by ...........

How many people have a library of books they only use for interior design purposes?

Jeff_Brauer

Re: Golf Books -2 years - Bye Bye
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
I think its a life commandment that a pack rat shall marry a tosser outer, just to keep things in balance.

I once donated a few of my gca books here for an essay contest.  Forgot who won them, but it seemed appreciated.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Michael George

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 03:55:36 PM »

Ron:

I let my wife re-decorate our entire study on 1 condition - - that it have adequate space for my golf books.  She got a brand new room and I get to keep my books as decoration (in my wife's eye) on the book shelves.

If you have to get rid of the books, I would just sell them through this site.  Only so many golf course geeks, why sell on ebay when one of us is the likely buyer anyway.

"First come my wife and children.  Next comes my profession--the law. Finally, and never as a life in itself, comes golf" - Bob Jones

Rich Goodale

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 03:59:25 PM »
Jeff

I won your Cornish-Whitten book with the first two pages autographed by every architect who ever lived, with the glaring exception of HH Barker.  It remains very much appreciated and often referred to.

Thanks again

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

BCrosby

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 04:10:55 PM »
Ron -

If you have first editions autographed by Bobby Jones, Bernard Darwin, CBM or Harry Colt, I am only too happy to come by your place and relieve you of them.

Bob

Brian Hilko

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 04:18:42 PM »
I would sell the expensive ones on ebay and donate the lesser ones to your fellow golf dorks. If you happen to have a copy of The Life and Work of Dr. Alister MacKenzie and/or Evangelist of Golf: The Story of Charles Blair MacDonald I would gladly donate as many golf lessons as you want from broke assistant golf pro.  ;D
Down with the brown

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 04:30:04 PM »
I would sell the expensive ones on ebay and donate the lesser ones to your fellow golf dorks. If you happen to have a copy of The Life and Work of Dr. Alister MacKenzie and/or Evangelist of Golf: The Story of Charles Blair MacDonald I would gladly donate as many golf lessons as you want from broke assistant golf pro.  ;D

I have the 1st book, and my golf swing sure sucks right now....hmmmm very tempted!!  ;D

PCCraig

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2012, 04:30:13 PM »
Ron,

It might be worth looking into donating the books you don't want to a local library.
H.P.S.

Colin Macqueen

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2012, 04:31:52 PM »
Ron,
"How many people have a library of books they only use for interior design purposes?"

Like you Ron I have my 5-6 boxes on bookshelves and this is considered adornment by the distaff side! However when talk of culling rears its head then one of mine will only go out with one of hers!  Stalemate!

I would, personally, be giving the books away to worthy peoples. I'm sure you know a few of 'em.   On the other hand is your own golf club "civilised" enough to accept, have shelf space and use your books as a resource for the members?

Cheers Colin
"Golf, thou art a gentle sprite, I owe thee much"
The Hielander

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 04:58:48 PM »
Orinda Country Club (Orinda, CA) just started a lending library in the locker room, stocked with golf books donated by members.  There is a sheet where you can check out books.  All it takes is a few bookshelves and a pad of paper, and you've got a nice lending library.  The Orinda collection already has about 50-75 books...everything from some Tommy Armour instruction books to Hank Haney's recent one.

Maybe you could start a similar program at your club or donate them to a local library.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Andy Stamm

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 05:00:08 PM »
Ron,

It might be worth looking into donating the books you don't want to a local library.

I get a lot of the Golf Architecture books that I read from the library via interlibrary loan. It's amazing how many books just aren't available from any of the thousands of libraries that participate in interlibrary loan, which is really disappointing as that usually means I just won't be able to read the book.

So, while a Golf Archiecture book just sitting on the shelf of your local public library may not see much use, if you donate it to a library that does participate in ILL (and most do) and if the book is even somewhat obscure, you could really have a big influence on the availability of that info on a national (and really probably beyond that) level.

I can say from personal experience that Michigan State (which makes sense considering they have some golf related curriculum) has a good collection of Golf Architecture books and is very good about lending them outside of their libraries. Honestly any public library would probably offer the same, but it's a safer bet that a library with a collection of that type will take and keep your books. And, any such donation should be tax deductable.

Ross Harmon

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 05:14:00 PM »
It would be nice to keep them in the GCA family and I'd certainly be interested in some! Please post a list or link to eBay should you decide to sell them.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:26:38 PM »
Ron:

You should see my office someday!

We have a corridor set of shelves just completely stocked full of architecture books, golf travel books, and club histories.  Not all first editions -- I don't fancy myself a collector -- but I've managed to attract a few of those, too, over the years.  I do refer to them on occasion, and of course my interns appreciate having a lending library.

Stephen Davis

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 05:31:07 PM »
It would be nice to keep them in the GCA family and I'd certainly be interested in some! Please post a list or link to eBay should you decide to sell them.

I would second this. Either that or we start our own interGCAer library loan system. I know that I would happily pay shipping on many of these books, just to get the chance to read them.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
Rich,

I actually had three of those CW books signed.  Maybe you got the one without HHB! 

I sell many old books at half price books, which Ron might do if he has one nearby.  You get a few bucks each for them, and they actually go pretty fast when they mark them up to half price.  That does suggest you would do better $$$ wise on EBay but it is quick and easy.

Regarding those signed books, I actually meant to take an unsigned one to HPB, but accidentally dropped of another signed copy.  Went back a few weeks later, saw it, and tried to get it back.  When they saw the sigs, including Palmer and Nicklaus, the refused to trade, preferring to up the price and display it in the collector books section.  D'oh!

I also once saw a Confidential Guide, and then learned here what it sells for, and went back, but it was gone, too.  Double D'oh.  I do have copies of each version, so it would have been a quick profit only scheme....

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2012, 05:45:36 PM »
Another book story, in 1977 as a senior LA student at U of Illinois, I naturally did a senior golf project.  Thought I would see what the library had (reputed to be the third largest university library in the US) and hit the mother lode of all those Golden Age books.  They were in a back area called "the stacks" and you couldn't check out the old books, so I spent weeks on the floor pouring over those books, which were much rarer in those days, before reprints.  Damn near didn't graduate!

Ron Farris

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2012, 09:30:53 PM »
The only book that I have signed is by a person called Tom Doak. 
Tom D., your people have already ask to see the list before it goes public.

I failed to make it to the garage today. Perhaps tomorrow.

john_stiles

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 12:01:14 AM »

Donation to a public library is fine.  There is a downside.   If the book is not checked out, or infrequently checked out, the library might well put the book out to one of their book sales.   I never ask what happens, but feel sad about those books left behind at library sales. I feel the worst happens.

The library doesn't want books that only sit, take up space, with hundreds of new books coming out every year.  I would suggest two things.

1.  Sell your books on this site or ebay.
2.  Visit your local library book sales and keep a few in a small box in the trunk of your car. They are not at work or in the house. Put a towel over the box with the odd wrench or screw driver on top of the towel in case someone else loads the trunk.

I donated two new books to library and one is gone.  It was never checked out after about 2 years, and I forget when I went back but it was gone.  The other one may still be there.   Always hope it ended up on a nice bookshelf or coffee table somewhere.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 07:29:46 AM »
My first thought was to donate them to your home Club, where they may be enjoyed by many golfers in times ahead, and maybe spark an interest in architecture among some who might not otherwise take up the passion. If they don't already have a library at your Club, your collection may be of such size so as to start a library.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Ron Farris

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 09:09:31 AM »
OK, I have been thru three boxes.  Difficult task at hand.  One book I found was not related to golf, but to math - The Golden Ratio.
Has anyone applied the Golden Ratio to their designs in any manner?  For those unfamiliar it is a ratio that makes Supermodels beautiful!

Am into my 4th box and found a diary my wife did on our trip to Scotland in 1990.  Dornoch book shop 29.49. Dornoch Castle Hotel 104.10.    Old Course green fees for two: 45.00.  New Course : 22.00.  Prestwick: 44.00 I suspect these are listed in foreign currency.

I may have to rent a storage unit and just keep everything.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back