News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

Joe Logan reports on Golfweek's visit to this often overlooked and under appreciated course...

http://myphillygolf.com/blogs.asp?blogid=1

Here's a prior thread:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,43983.25.html
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Rory Connaughton

I'm not at all surprised that White Manor has received some much deserved respect.  Great variety, great strategy and aesthetically very appealing. It certainly deserves to be part of the discussion of top courses in the region following some of the heavyweights.

Tim Martin

I'm not at all surprised that White Manor has received some much deserved respect.  Great variety, great strategy and aesthetically very appealing. It certainly deserves to be part of the discussion of top courses in the region following some of the heavyweights.

+1

Dan Boerger

I've been fortunate enough to play this course a number of times, most recently after the restoration. It really is a terrific course that makes excellent use of the terrain. Do not pass up if you get a chance to play it.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Dan Herrmann

There's an upcoming GAP play day at White Manor.

mike_malone

If they angled the holes on the clubhouse side of the creek it would be fabulous.
AKA Mayday

Dan Boerger

Mike - What holes are you referring to? And what angle are you suggesting? The only hole I have a bit of a problem with there is the 1st. Not enamored with the way the creek runs across, but it could be just frustrated operator error.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Marc Levine

Dan

How are you..come on over anytime...

Marc

JESII

If they angled the holes on the clubhouse side of the creek it would be fabulous.

I haven't a clue what this means...

Joe Bausch

Dan

How are you..come on over anytime...

Marc

Welcome Marc.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Dan Boerger

Marc - Thanks and welcome!

All - Marc is one sweet swinging southpaw and outstanding club professional.

mike_malone

Start by turning #1 to the left and have the creek run alongside the right and behind the green
This creates the chance for  #9 #18 and #10 to go along the ridge instead of up and down the hill.
I believe the green siites would be more interesting if they were slanted along the side of the hills rather
Than placed as they are. # 4 is a good example of what I like there.
AKA Mayday

Wayne Wiggins, Jr.

It's been years since I've played White Manor, and would love to see Weed's renovation work there based on all of this feedback.  I grew up not too far from the club, and still think the Radnor Hunt area is one of most beautiful areas in the entire country to put the top and down and cruise!

In Joe's photos the course resembles others nearby such as Applebrook, French Creek, and Stonewall.  How does it compare? 

Marc Levine

Joe

Thanks for the welcome..the photo tour is awesome

It was good to see you last week

Take Care

Dan Boerger

Mike - I see what you mean. But I don't have a problem with those dramatic elevation changes. I suppose you could ask the same of #1, #10 and #18 at Gulph Mills, which are terrific holes IMO in large part because of the straight up, straight down elevation challenges.

Wayne - I have not played French Creek but am pretty familiar with Applebrook and Stonewell ... one difference to me is that there's more general movement with the greens at White Manor.

Kris Shreiner

Wayne,
You are dead on about that Radnor Hunt, Willistown area being a special cruise. We were just out there for the Annual Day at the Races, which is a steeplechase bonanza that has all the proceeds going to preserve more of that awesome countryside.

U.S Open at Merion next year...you're invited!

Cheers,
Kris
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

mike_malone

Dan,

I think that a major challenge for designers is to deal with returning nines to the clubhouse on the high point. In some places there may be no choice but to go up and down the hill but if any option exists to angle the play I think it makes for better design.
AKA Mayday

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back