News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jud_T

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie (Broadmoor CC/The Fort) - Matches and Tee Times
« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2012, 03:06:51 PM »
Howard,

Everone knows you put your veteran closers last.
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Scott Sander

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2012, 07:41:39 PM »
Matt-

I shot 104 last week. 

Giddyap, pard'ner!

-Scott

Matthew Sander

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2012, 08:30:40 PM »
Matt-

I shot 104 last week. 

Giddyap, pard'ner!

-Scott

Uuh...in unrelated news Scott Sander has been traded back to the East team for cash considerations.

Actually, by putting the Sanders together we can only poison one team. Brilliant captaining if I do say so myself!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #103 on: September 19, 2012, 01:04:22 AM »
Howard,

Considering I beat you two plus a third player in a 3 vs 1 best ball, I'm a little concerned about our closing group.  Hopefully the fact that you weirdos swing from the wrong side will psych the other team out.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #104 on: September 19, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »

Considering I beat you two plus a third player in a 3 vs 1 best ball, I'm a little concerned about our closing group.  Hopefully the fact that you weirdos swing from the wrong side will psych the other team out.

Not our finest moment. Look forward to the 6 vs 1 best ball match at Trophy Club on Sunday.

Best of luck.

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Smolens

« Reply #105 on: September 19, 2012, 03:10:02 PM »
After seeing the scores Seitz posted at Kingsley in the HHH, I take the single if the odds are right!

Bill Seitz

« Reply #106 on: September 19, 2012, 03:13:51 PM »
After seeing the scores Seitz posted at Kingsley in the HHH, I take the single if the odds are right!

Unfortunately, we probably won't be playing Broadmoor at 6,100 yards to easy pins.   :(

Josh Tarble

« Reply #107 on: September 19, 2012, 03:27:10 PM »
I'm just glad the newbie is being sent out early...hopefully I can get around before the pressure gets to my nerves!

Matthew Sander

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie - Matches and Tee Times CHANGED
« Reply #108 on: September 19, 2012, 03:35:23 PM »
Sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but there has been a little change in the lineup. We have added another participant for Saturday (everyone's favorite GCAer, John Mayhugh), so we had to tweak the matches. Here is the new match schedule (all matches will be be better ball - 2 man teams)

1:30  Josh Tarble/Chris Sturges   vs.   Bill Seitz/Broadmoor Assistant
1:40  Tim Liddy/Jason Thurman   vs.   Matt Sander/Scott Sander
1:50  Brian Finn/Todd Housteau   vs.  Mark Smolens/Rich Fray
2:00  John Mayhugh/Bill Steele    vs.  Jud Tigerman/Howard Riefs

Bill Seitz

« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2012, 03:59:55 PM »
Well, this is a nice development, both the addition of Mr. Mayhugh and the fact that I can fall back on assistant.  Looking forward to finishing early so I can walk the last few holes with that last match. 

Howard Riefs

« Reply #110 on: September 19, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
Yes, nice to have Mr. Mayhugh join us. If you're coming in Friday, you're welcome to join me, Jud and Chris for dinner at St Elmo. 8pm.

And looks like this strategy still applies, despite Bill's insight:

Howard,

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

John Mayhugh

« Reply #111 on: September 19, 2012, 10:14:10 PM »
Yes, nice to have Mr. Mayhugh join us. If you're coming in Friday, you're welcome to join me, Jud and Chris for dinner at St Elmo. 8pm.

Thanks for the offer.  I'm in Louisville, so I'll just drive up on Saturday AM.

I am glad that Matt was able to add me.

Jud_T

« Reply #112 on: September 20, 2012, 10:22:12 AM »
by the way, for us Chicago-centric folks, I assume all these courses are on Easter Standard Time, correct?
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Howard Riefs

« Reply #113 on: September 20, 2012, 10:36:55 AM »
by the way, for us Chicago-centric folks, I assume all these courses are on Easter Standard Time, correct?

Correct.

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/city.html?n=105

(The same applies for Harrison Hills in Attica.)

History lesson on the Indiana "is it central or eastern time zone?" phenomenon:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_in_Indiana

Matthew Sander

« Reply #114 on: September 20, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »
Hello all,

I wanted to let everyone know that my participation in the golf portion of our event is up in the air as of now. What was a minor, mildly painful lower back issue has turned into an incredibly painful case of sciatica. I'm seeing a doctor and going through some treatment, but if the condition doesn't improve by Saturday, I won't be able to play. Hopefully, the pain will subside a bit and I'll be able to give it a go.

Even if I can't play, I'll be there for the duration of the event. During the golf I'll probably drive around and take some pictures as sitting actually brings about some pain relief. We'll also take a look at the matches to see if there is a way to change things up if I can't play, but we may just leave as is and my group will go out as a threesome (we'll have to come up with a creative way to make an equitable match out of it).

Again, I'm crossing my fingers that things will improve and I'll be able to play as planned (probably in a cart though...gasp  ;) ). Thanks for understanding and I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause...

Matt
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:45:48 PM by Matthew Sander »

Scott Sander

« Reply #115 on: September 20, 2012, 11:49:10 AM »
Hello all,

I wanted to let everyone know that my participation in the golf portion of our event is up in the air as of now. What was a minor, mildly painful lower back issue has turned into an incredibly painful case of sciatica. I'm seeing a doctor and going through some treatment, but if the condition doesn't improve by Saturday, I won't be able to play. Hopefully, the pain will subside a bit and I'll be able to give it a go.

Even if I can't play, I'll be there for the duration of the event. During the golf I'll probably drive around and take some pictures as sitting actually brings about some pain relief. We'll also take a look at the matches to see if there is a way to change things up if I can't play, but we may just leave as is and my group will go out as a threesome (we'll have to come up with a creative way to make an equitable match out of it.

Again, I'm crossing my fingers that things will improve and I'll be able to play as planned (probably in a cart though...gasp  ;) ). Thanks for understanding and I apologize for any inconvenience it may cause...

Matt

Jeesh.  It was just one 104.  I've been mid-low 80's mostly.  Promise. 

Matthew Sander

« Reply #116 on: September 20, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »

Jeesh.  It was just one 104.  I've been mid-low 80's mostly.  Promise. 

I guess it will seem pretty obvious if my symptoms magically disappear when you putt out on 18 ;D . Don't worry, I'm operating under the assumption that things will get better and we'll have the opportunity to perform the reverse ham and egg.

Mark Smolens

« Reply #117 on: September 20, 2012, 05:19:10 PM »
Matt, what are you doing posting at 1 in the morning >:( Maybe you should get some shuteye and your back will feel better???

Matthew Sander

« Reply #118 on: September 20, 2012, 05:28:31 PM »
That must be an issue with the site's clock...I posted that earlier today, probably before 10am. Thanks for looking out for me though! Believe me, with the muscle relaxer my doctor prescribed I've been sleeping plenty and deeply...

Matthew Sander

« Reply #119 on: September 20, 2012, 06:40:24 PM »
Here is a little satellite map for those of you heading over to The Fort after Saturday's dinner. You should follow directions just as if you were going to the golf course. As you see in the overhead below when you take the entrance road into the golf course/club house, the four officer's homes are in a line to your left. As you're entering the parking area take the first left to drive down in front of the homes. you can either park there or in the lot behind the homes. I'm not sure which we'll have, but I should know by Saturday, so I'll tell you while a Broadmoor. Let me know if you have any questions...

Matthew Sander

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie - ATTN: Bill Steele & Friday/late Sunday rounds
« Reply #120 on: September 20, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Bill Steele,  

I still need your dinner preference for Saturday night - Salmon, Chicken, NY Strip, or Veggie Pasta. Let me know if you can...thanks.

Also, I wanted to make sure that this is the correct lineup for the bookend rounds at Harrison Hills and The Trophy Club. If anyone else would like to play or has to bow out, please let me know. I'll call Harrison Hills in the morning to cancel the second tee time. For those of you playing those rounds, when you check in, I put the times under Jud Tigerman's name...

Friday at Harrison Hills (1:00 and 1:08)

1. Jud Tigerman
2. Chris Sturges
3. Howard Riefs

Sunday at The Trophy Club (1:51 and 2:00)

1. Jud Tigerman
2. Jason Thurman
3. Howard Riefs
4. Bill Seitz
5. Josh Tarble
6. Chris Sturges
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 10:12:02 PM by Matthew Sander »

Matthew Sander

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie - Tomorrow's the day
« Reply #121 on: September 21, 2012, 10:51:48 AM »
All right y'all, this should be the last you hear from me until tomorrow at Broadmoor. If anyone needs anything or has any questions between now and then, send me a PM. I'm looking forward to the event and seeing/meeting everyone!

Thanks,
Matt

« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 10:53:37 AM by Matthew Sander »

Jud_T

« Reply #122 on: September 21, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
Harrison Hills set a pretty high opening bar.  It's gonna be tough for any 6 hole stretch to beat 13-18 at HH.

Billsteele

« Reply #123 on: September 23, 2012, 03:26:34 PM »
Thanks to Matt Sander for putting together a terrific event in Indianapolis. Time constraints limited me to playing only Broadmoor on Saturday but it was well worth the trip. What a wonderful set of greens on that golf course! It also is a terrific example of how to route the golf course to get the maximum out of a compact site. Broadmoor is well worth checking out if you find yourself in Indianapolis.

Dinner on Saturday night with Bruce Hepner and Tim Liddy was an added bonus. The presentations I have seen while attending these events are always interesting and informative. This was no exception...although sometimes I feel that I am attending the golf course architecture equivalent of a Star Trek convention. At least no one dresses up like Donald Ross.

In any event, thanks again to Matt and a shout out to George Freeman who was missed. Hope to see him at the Mashie next year.

Brian Finn

« Reply #124 on: September 23, 2012, 04:43:30 PM »
Just returned from the Mashie, which was terrific.  Thank you to Matt for excellent organization and communication throughout. It was a pleasure to meet everyone and play two great courses. The greens at Broadmoor were incredibly interesting and fun, despite their difficulty. The wind sure did add to the challenge of properly positioning the ball for make-able putts. Bruce's presentation and Q&A with Bruce and Tim were fascinating.  I hope to see you all again soon.  Thank you. 
New for '24: Monifieth x2, Montrose x2, Panmure, Carnoustie x3, Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin, Belvedere, The Loop x2, Forest Dunes, Arcadia Bluffs x2, Kapalua Plantation, Windsong Farm, Minikahda...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back