News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Thurman

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie - Tomorrow's the day
« Reply #125 on: September 23, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
The Mashie was a great time, notwithstanding any losses suffered by the East team.

As others have mentioned, Broadmoor is a lesson in building with minimal earthmoving on a property with little in the way of natural elevation changes and features. It also has a set of greens that are easily Top 10 on my list. Playing with Tim Liddy and hearing some of the things he sees when playing a course like that was really interesting too.

Bruce's presentation was excellent, and it was cool seeing how much the course has changed in the last 10 years (although it's hard to describe the confusion on my wife's face when I told her that we listened to a two hour discussion of best practices for undertaking a tree clearing program and widening mowing lines).

The Fort was colder than I remember, but still a great routing on a pretty severe property. We couldn't have picked two courses with more different topography. Mean glare and thick rough made finding balls tough, but I think it's a really fun, tough course with a wonderful ebb and flow between sporty risk/reward holes (2, 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 14) and big, strong buttkickers (4, 9, 11, 15, 17, 18).

Finally, it was great to get back to The Trophy Club for a bonus round, and it really came alive in windy conditions. It's a really run, interesting driving course with a superb set of par 5s and a huge number of stellar holes overall. It also stands right alongside Wild Horse, CommonGround, and Prarie Club on the list of best sets of greens and green complexes I've seen on a modern course. 11 is about as cool as they come in that department.

Thanks again to Matt for organizing and to all the guys who teed it up. It was a blast.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jud_T

« Reply #126 on: September 24, 2012, 08:17:33 AM »
Thanks to Matt for organizing a really great trip.  Glad to finally get down to sample some Indy golf.  Broadmoor is really good.  One of the best set of Ross greens I've seen outside of #2.  Bruce's presentation was first rate.  Favorite quote of the night was when I asked how many trees could be taken out if lo and behold the membership wanted to max out was "All of 'em.  It didn't have any originally, did it?"  (paraphrasing).  Great to put a face to some of the names floating around here in addition to seeing some of the usual suspects again.  I also played in two very good matches that both went to 18.  Fortunately my partners came up aces on 18 each time.  Trophy club was a blast and the perfect wind-down after grinding out two matches.  I think we set the course record for sixsome play.  Harrison Hills was a bonus and a revelation.  It's like Kingsley in the sense that you have to see it in the flesh to truly appreciate the scale of the place.  Another great Mashie all around, and the good guys carried the day once again... 8)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:26:03 AM by Jud Tigerman »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Mark Smolens

« Reply #127 on: September 24, 2012, 01:13:53 PM »
Thanks Matt for all of your efforts.

Loved Broadmoor. Extraordinary set of greens. Hard to imagine ever getting bored playing on those greens -- especially if they're going to be that quick all of the time (and they had a downpour on Friday? their super is clearly as good as Bruce H. told us). Also love listening to architects talk about their craft, and the things they love about their jobs. It's always great to meet guys who love the game, and especially the parts of the game that don't have that much appeal beyond the denizens of this DG.

Matthew Sander

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie (Broadmoor CC/The Fort) - In The Books New
« Reply #128 on: September 24, 2012, 01:44:14 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys. It was my pleasure to help out and I think the event was a success. It was great that all of you could make it and I think that the courses showed themselves quite well despite the torrential rains that fell in Indy on Friday night.

Broadmoor CC was a real treat. I had played there quite a few years ago (probably '99 or so) and didn't recall much other than it fell amongst a large group of older tree choked courses that had a tendency to run together in the mind. Thank goodness the club committed to restorations bringing back the relatively simple classic elements.

The green recapture and improved mowing lines (providing playable width) help the course to play as designed as there are sections of greens on every hole that really ask to be approached from a certain location. Many of these fairway locations are in places that used to be covered by primary rough or shrouded in trees. Make no mistake, there are still many trees at Broadmoor, but I don't think I found any instances where they interfered with the primary corridor. Also, the wonderful bunker clusters that Ross designed are now exposed and not cast off amongst the trees as an afterthought.

I don't have the depth of experience as most in this group, but I imagine the Broadmoor greens as a group would qualify as exceptional. They are interesting, varied, difficult in places, and they putted beautifully. During Bruce Hepner's presentation he mentioned that good golf begins at the greens. Broadmoor's greens can really shine because of the way the rest of the course now works with them.

We also enjoyed our (chilly at the outset) round at The Fort on Sunday morning. I look forward to hearing some comments from first timers regarding their round at The Fort, in addition to those that played Harrison Hills and/or The Trophy Club. I had a chance to play with Tim Liddy while at Broadmoor, and it was enjoyable to hear some of his remarks regarding his work with Pete Dye at The Fort (as well as his own work at The Trophy Club and Harrison Hills). Since The Fort is a state run property, Tim explained that budgeting didn't allow for some of the bolder earthworks that many associate with Dye. However, I find that you don't miss them as the land at The Fort provides plenty of interest.

A big thanks goes out to many for making the event a success. Jason LePage Head Professional) and all of the staff at The Fort made us feel very welcome and we truly appreciate them allowing us to experience their club. It was great for Bruce Hepner and Tim Liddy to join us. It is always interesting to this crowd to get the perspective from the real experts. Chris Hague, Broadmoor's excellent superintendent (only superintendent to actively host a U.S. Open, U.S. Senior Open, and U.S. Women's Open - all at different courses) was in attendance and it is so good to see how a course can be presented when the superintendent and restoration team are on the same page. Lastly, a big thanks to GCAer Ted Sturges, whose idea it was to invite Bruce Hepner. Also, his relationship with Broadmoor only made the planning easier and more successful.

Thanks,
Matt

« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:44:40 AM by Matthew Sander »

Bill Seitz

« Reply #129 on: September 24, 2012, 05:01:38 PM »
I can't add much to what's already been said, other than all three golf courses were a lot of fun to play.  I really like Broadmoor.  The property reminded me a bit of Floosmoor, with a fairly flat front nine, and a back nine with a lot more movement in the land.  Our group (myself, Chris Sturges, and JoshTarble) played with Alex Dye, an assistant, who was able to point out some interesting details and history of the course.  I'd played the Forth and Trophy Club before, and they were even better than I remember.  Fortunately, Josh is a regular at both places and was able to point out the lines of attack and hidden dangers at each.  The presentations, dinner, and company were first rate.

Thanks to Matt for organizing everything, and I was glad to be a part of yet another Mashie winning team!

BHoover

« Reply #130 on: September 24, 2012, 07:19:33 PM »
Sounds like the Mashie was a great event. Sorry I had to miss it. I'm looking forward to attending next year's version.

John Nixon

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie - Broadmoor CC/The Fort
« Reply #131 on: September 25, 2012, 06:35:58 AM »
Nobody brought a camera?

Tim Liddy

« Reply #132 on: September 25, 2012, 07:14:42 AM »
Thanks Matt for the invite. I had a great time meeting everyone. Per John's request, here are a few photos of Trophy Club.

PCCraig

« Reply #133 on: September 25, 2012, 08:59:33 AM »
Sounds like everyone had a great time and the good guys won ;)

Thanks to Matt for putting the event together and keeping the Mashie going through 2012. Looking forward to attending next year.
H.P.S.

John Nixon

« Reply #134 on: September 25, 2012, 09:19:07 AM »
Thanks so much Tim. Like I really needed to see those rocks on #14 again.  :lol:

Ken Fry

« Reply #135 on: September 25, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
So wait a minute....  The East lost again?!?!?  Wow, I thought it was just me bringing the team down these last few years....

Wish I could have been along for this one.  Looking forward to the 2013 edition.

Ken

Jud_T

« Reply #136 on: September 25, 2012, 09:38:34 AM »
We might have to go the Ryder Cup route and make it the West vs. the East & South to keep things competitive... ;D
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Josh Tarble

« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2012, 04:13:31 PM »
Late to the post here, but just wanted to thank Matt again for setting everything up.  I had a great time, Broadmoor was great...really unexpectedly great.  I was very impressed and the presentation by Bruce was really cool as well.  The company was awesome and it was great to meet everyone in attendance.  The 6some we played at Trophy Club was one of the most fun rounds (at least until 16) I've had in a long time.  Looking forward to the 2013 version!

Jason Thurman

« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2012, 05:16:47 PM »
The 6some we played at Trophy Club was one of the most fun rounds (at least until 16) I've had in a long time.

Wow. I had forgotten about that debacle. How many times has a bogey on a short par 5 won a skin in a sixsome?
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Scott Sander

« Reply #139 on: September 26, 2012, 06:54:50 AM »
The 6some we played at Trophy Club was one of the most fun rounds (at least until 16) I've had in a long time.

Wow. I had forgotten about that debacle. How many times has a bogey on a short par 5 won a skin in a sixsome?

Jason,

Even better - I think it actually gets harder the more you play it.  That hole is a stealthy little bugger, and it gets in your head. 

Ideally, you've just hit a nice slinging draw off the tee, and for your 2nd (or 3rd) the high-right visuals and the river cry for yet another draw. 
However, the right side of that green shoots draws dead left.    And the "bailout" right is no bailout at all - you're left with a downhill pitch or bunker shot to a green going sharply away from you toward water.

So once you've played it often enough to have experienced all those negative results, it takes some stones to conjure the simple little fade or the scooter up the front that was the right shot all along.

It's "different" than the course's other par 5's - fewer options, more demands.  Typically I wouldn't love that recipe, but for that point in the round I think 16 is a great change-of-pace.  It snaps you to attention. 

I do hope the sixsome was not too redassed after 16 to notice how good 17 is.

Bill Seitz

« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »

It's the first time I've won a skin on a hole where I drove the ball into the hazard off the tee.  You're almost never out of that hole until the ball is in the cup. 

Howard Riefs

Re: 3rd Annual Midwest Mashie - Broadmoor CC/The Fort New
« Reply #141 on: September 26, 2012, 10:03:56 AM »
A really enjoyable few days in the Hoosier state. An early start Friday at Harrison Hills and bookended with more Liddy at Trophy Club. Plenty of fun in between. Just a few highlights…

Harrison Hills: The original Langford holes are wonderful. Great land, strategic off the tee, rolling terrain, and severe greenside bunkering to say the least (see #15). Jud and I played 32 holes (for only $52 total) before the rains arrived; Chris Sturges arrived after we played 10 holes. The three of us dropped balls into the 30-foot deep bunker right of #15 green to see if we could get out; only Jud managed to get it up on the fringe.

St Elmo’s Steakhouse: “Easy does it,” I warned Jud before he dug into the signature horseradish-laden shrimp cocktail. A warning he did not heed.  

Broadmoor: A wonderful Ross routing with interesting green complexes. It’s the kind of course you could play every day – just as long as you repeatedly don’t find yourself over the green to a short-sided pin. The course was in great condition and the greens rolled nicely, especially after a deluge the night before. It was definitely quite a change from putting on the recently aerated greens at Harrison Hills the day before – akin to going from shag carpet to tile. The last grouping, Jud and I had an up-and-down (the score and the play) and very enjoyable match against Bill Steele and John Mayhugh. We went from dormie on #17 tee to eeking out a half after a big up-and-down on #18 from greenside.

Dinner and presentation: It’s been said above… Great conversation with fellow GCAers and the Broadmoor staff as well as an insightful presentation and Q&A with Bruce.  

Nightcap: Beers in the Officer Homes adjacent from The Fort with the guys -- until 1 a.m. How time flies.  

The Fort: A big, brawny course that was a slog at 6,750 yards for my short tee ball and 14 hcp. Good conditioning. Uninspired greens that were easy to “over-read.” Memorably, I followed up a birdie on #5 with a few laughs on the par 5 #6: Didn’t reach the fairway from the greatly elevated tee shot over a gorge. Then pulled a hybrid over the hill that I didn’t see but Jason described as bouncing off the wood railing, a mound of rocks and the cart path before settling in the rough. After a competitive front nine, Jason Thurman and Chris Sturges pulled ahead on the back to defeat me and Rich, 2-UP.

Trophy Club: Playing as a six-some in four hours? Yes, it’s possible. And definitely one of the most fun rounds I’ve had. I didn’t even mind playing poorly and being out-driven by a good 50+ yards each hole by Josh, Jason, Bill and Chris. Josh, beyond lacing each tee shot with a parabolic-light ball flight, is an expert at spotting the shots I sprayed into the rough -- or off the rocks as I did on the par 3, 14th hole pictured above. Thankfully, my 60* wedge seemed to be working most of the day around the greens.

A big thanks to Matt for his yeomans work with all the planning.

Nobody brought a camera?

A few photos of the courses ... before my iPhone battery died, which happened all too often.

Harrison Hills
(The original Langford holes are #1, #2, #13-#18)

Hole #2 – 195 yards, Black Tees / 188 yards, Brown Tees

Hole #10 – 423/392
HH website: A pond guards the entire left side with trees guarding the right side of the hole. A good straight drive will leave a golfer with a mid to long second shot to a very long green. The right side of the fairway is guarded by a tree that must be avoided or your second shot might be a punch shot. A par is a very good score.

Hole #12 – 195/182
HH website: A long par three. A big oak tree guards the left side of the green. A deep bunker guards the right front of the green. If you hit the green, which is usually firm, you are left with a pretty simple putt.

Hole #13 – 523/495
From Ran: While playing the hole, the authors had little idea that this straightaway, uphill three-shotter was originally a dog-leg right two-shotter (the old 4th), for the 13th plays quite well, with its blind second over a hill to the well-bunkered green

Hole #14 – 321/305
HH website: Don't go left off the tee box. A straight drive will leave you with a blind second shot over a hill down a hill to thin green that slopes from back to front. You must miss the two very deep greenside bunkers. A par will be achieved with a good drive and if you hit the green.

Hole #15 – 356/336
The 15th is the most dramatic and dangerous. The narrow green is perched on top of a hill with deep bunkers left and right. After seeing this hole, the 16th at PGA West (Stadium) seems tame!

Hole #16 – 411/402
HH website: A long uphill drive with a downhill second shot to a par four. Miss the fairway bunkers off the tee and you are left with a sidehill/downhill second shot to a green that has a false front. The green slopes from front to back. A par is a very good score.

Hole #17 – 151/143
HH website: An uphill short par three. You can't see the putting surface from the tee and you must miss the deep bunker on the left. If you hit the green most of the time you can make a par.

Hole #18 – 557/543

HH website: A long par five that leads you towards the clubhouse. Stay straight off the tee. It is a very hilly par five with sidehill and downhill lies throughout. Miss the fairway bunker with your second shot and you are left with a short chip to a green that slopes from back to front. Don't go past the pin or you will have a very fast down hill putt.

Broadmoor

Hole #1 – 433 yards, Gold Tees /422 yards, Blue Tees

Hole #2 – 410/400 (top-shot bunkers off 50 yards off the tee)

Hole #3 – 383/375

Hole #4 – 147/137

Hole #5 – 433/423

Hole #6 – 391/383

Hole #7 – 340/334

Hole #8

Hole #9 – 527/507

The Fort

Hole #2 – 323 yards, Gold Tees / 311 yards, Blue Tees

Hole #4 – 479/438

Hole #5 – 170/159

Hole #6 – 511/496

Hole #7 – 542/531

Hole #9 – 482/423

Hole #10 – 311/305

Hole #12 – 479/434

Hole #13 – 407/396

Hole #15 – 471/448

« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 11:26:57 AM by Howard Riefs »
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back