News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Kris Shreiner

Re: 2017 U.S. Amateur at Riviera
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:23:56 AM »
I believe the Walker Cup is at LACC North that same year! SoCal amateur golf lighting it up in 2017. I'm planning on being at that Walker Cup. Seeing that superb, intimate competition at Merion really stoked my coals on how special that event is.

Cheers,
Kris 8)
"I said in a talk at the Dunhill Tournament in St. Andrews a few years back that I thought any of the caddies I'd had that week would probably make a good golf course architect. We all want to ask golfers of all abilities to get more out of their games -caddies do that for a living." T.Doak

Sean Leary

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:15:55 AM »
Wonder which will be the second course. Wilshire?

Terry Lavin

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 10:48:42 AM »
Wonder which will be the second course. Wilshire?

That's my guess.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Jay Flemma

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 12:31:38 PM »
I wonder if it's a prelude to something even bigger:):) #nineteenfortyeight
Mackenzie, MacRayBanks, Maxwell, Doak, Dye, Strantz. @JayGolfUSA, GNN Radio Host of Jay's Plays www.cybergolf.com/writerscorner

Lynn_Shackelford

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 01:24:36 PM »
I wonder if it's a prelude to something even bigger:):) #nineteenfortyeight

The answer is no.
It must be kept in mind that the elusive charm of the game suffers as soon as any successful method of standardization is allowed to creep in.  A golf course should never pretend to be, nor is intended to be, an infallible tribunal.
               Tom Simpson

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 01:26:48 PM »
For those interested in top level am play at Riviera, a reminder that next week is the NCAA championships.  I'm hoping the home course advantage comes into play for UCLA.

Steve Burrows

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 02:08:45 PM »
The USGA website shows that Bel-Air CC will be used as the companion course.

As a sidebar, it is Interesting to note how quickly discussions about site selection for the US Amateur (particularly on this website) are rarely about the course itself, but about the logistical issues of hosting so many people, i.e. the companion course.  The whole process is rarely about golf, or the merits of the design (which in this case is strong), but about the nature of business.
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2012, 06:07:10 PM »
As a sidebar, it is Interesting to note how quickly discussions about site selection for the US Amateur (particularly on this website) are rarely about the course itself, but about the logistical issues of hosting so many people, i.e. the companion course.  The whole process is rarely about golf, or the merits of the design (which in this case is strong), but about the nature of business.

What "business" aspect is there?  You have to play host to over 300 entrants for the stroke play qualification rounds.  At a club with only one course, another course is needed, hence it is a natural question to ask when told that Riviera will host the championship proper.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Steve Burrows

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2012, 11:40:56 PM »

What "business" aspect is there?  You have to play host to over 300 entrants for the stroke play qualification rounds.  At a club with only one course, another course is needed, hence it is a natural question to ask when told that Riviera will host the championship proper.

Kevin,

It is a business when there are approximately 7,000 applicants each year who pay a $125 entry fee for the opportunity to play, totaling nearly $900,000.  Moreover, I imagine that the USGA does not unilaterally select locations for championships; the host course(s) negotiate for the privilege to host.  The results of hosting the tournament are symbolic (which has its own set of impacts) and are certainly financial.  Monies are also often spent on course renovations in preparation for the tournament, which has potential downstream effects on construction companies, fertilizer and chemical companies, and certainly on-site maintenance labor, among others.  And even for the Amateur (and to an exponentially greater degree at the Open) there is also an array of concessionaires working during the week of the tournament, on and off-site.  Thus USGA events, even the smaller ones, are boons to local economies. 

Also, what you mention in your post assumes that one HAS to play host to over 300 competitors.  There is nothing "natural" about it; it comes across as almost arbitrary.  But it's a conscious decision; no one has a gun to the USGA’s head forcing them to allow this many people to compete during the stroke play portion of the event.  And whereas I certainly admire the USGA for making the gesture to the “open” nature of the championship, that anyone with a 2.4 handicap or less has a chance to win, I would think that an analysis of the history of the event probably suggests that true dark horses (e.g. someone with a handicap over scratch) rarely win, or are even found in the last few rounds of the championship.   

Ultimately, though I don’t have proof one way or another, it seems logical that economics/business plays a determining role in the selection of a primary host course, as even the number of players in the field, which then compels the logistical necessity of a companion course. 
...to admit my mistakes most frankly, or to say simply what I believe to be necessary for the defense of what I have written, without introducing the explanation of any new matter so as to avoid engaging myself in endless discussion from one topic to another.     
               -Rene Descartes

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 01:56:07 AM »
Steve, as a member of a club that has hosted a few "minor" USGA championships, I will just say that I think you overestimate the economic "boon" of a large field at one of these.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back