News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

PCCraig

Storm Damage
« on: May 21, 2012, 02:30:37 PM »
This past weekend the Twin Cities took a bit of a punch from Mother Nature in the form of some severe T-Storms. The storm knocked a few trees over including this one which fell over the property fence, across a road, and into a neighbors yard:

What are the most high profile cases of storm damage on golf courses? Large quantities of trees lost? Famous greens washed away? Holes changed forever?
H.P.S.

Brad Tufts

Re: Storm Damage
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 03:07:44 PM »
Off the top of my head I think of hurricanes along the east coast like the one that slaughtered Wild Dunes in the early 90s (Hugo?)  I think I remember part of Lido's demise on Long Island was the result of destruct 1938 Hurricane that swept the Northeast and destroyed many wooden seaside homes/resorts from the early 20th century.

There was a huge flood that washed out many great features among the LA private favorites like Riviera in the 30s...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 03:17:41 PM »
Yeah, Hugo in 1989 had a huge effect on the coastal SC golf courses that were there at the time.  Charleston National (Rees Jones) and Pawleys Plantation (Nicklaus) both opened as private courses prior to Hugo and were subsequently turned semi-private and have been ever since.  DeBordieu opened in 1987 and had to have lost a bunch of trees and sustained significant damage as well.  I'd love to see some before/after pictures of those courses if any exist.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Matthew Rose

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2012, 05:24:29 PM »
Famous greens washed away?

How about the flood that ruined the 11th and 12th at Augusta National?

Was it TPC Sugarloaf that got hit by a tornado not too long ago? I think it might have been only a week or so before the Atlanta tournament was played there.

I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. I've been chased off of golf course by tornado warnings enough for one lifetime.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2012, 05:26:03 PM by Matthew Rose »
American-Australian. Trackman Course Guy. Fatalistic sports fan. Drummer. Bass player. Father. Cat lover.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2012, 05:34:09 PM »
TPC Louisiana was devastated by Hurricane Katrina:

"Inundated by 20 feet of water which left two holes completely under water for nearly a month, lost 3,200 trees and 30 acres of turf, and would take more than a year to heal."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/pga/2011-04-27-zurich-classic-of-new-orleans_N.htm
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2012, 06:02:09 PM »
The October Storm of 2008 (or so) did Country Club of Buffalo a huge favor by knocking out a crapload (metric term) of well-intended trees planted over the years. I heard the number 500 trees down tossed around by folks in the know. It revealed to members exactly how the course was intended to play.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tim Martin

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2012, 06:18:55 PM »
Hurricane Gloria wreaked havoc on the east coast in the fall of 1985. I remember being on a golf trip to the Poconos where we were scrambling to replace courses there were devastated and most notably Shawnee which was to have been the highlight. Very surprised looking back that it was not cancelled as the damage was extensive.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2012, 10:05:34 PM »
TPC Louisiana was devastated by Hurricane Katrina:

"Inundated by 20 feet of water which left two holes completely under water for nearly a month, lost 3,200 trees and 30 acres of turf, and would take more than a year to heal."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/golf/pga/2011-04-27-zurich-classic-of-new-orleans_N.htm

I think it was the same week that Fallen Oak opened or way going to open. I can't remember if Katrina did it or not but it seems like a storm washed away Contraband Bayou in Lake Charles.

Willie_Dow

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2012, 05:13:33 PM »
Is there any form of insurance a private club can take to cover the extreme costs of rebuilding after a hurricane?

I realize the clubhouse would qualify for damage coverage, but the money invested in the todays course, annually, is often wiped out by such a disaster.  Especially along the coastal regions.

Howard Riefs

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2012, 05:25:47 PM »
Is there any form of insurance a private club can take to cover the extreme costs of rebuilding after a hurricane?

I realize the clubhouse would qualify for damage coverage, but the money invested in the todays course, annually, is often wiped out by such a disaster.  Especially along the coastal regions.

I'm not certain about coverage for the course. The clubhouse would need to have property and flood insurance for complete coverage. Property insurance policy would only cover potential damage from the hurricane winds -- not water damage.
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Mark Steffey

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
four winters ago we had a big ice storm up here in new england.  my club at the time had a rider in the insurance that ended up paying a couple hundred grand for clean up.

Pete Lavallee

Re: Storm Damage New
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2012, 10:39:17 PM »
I am always blown away when I see this sign at Kittansett Club in Marion, Ma.

Aug 19, 1991 was "the Perfect Storm".
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:01:08 PM by Pete Lavallee »
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Willie_Dow

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 09:27:35 AM »
Yes, Pete, 1938 was quite a storm, I remember Ray Dennehy, who was not only the Club Professional, but who had been appointed keeper of the green.  He was out there the morning after, with a hose, washing down the greens.

My Dad put up that first sign.

What kind of rider can  you find for this type of insurance, today?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back