News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Bausch

(OT) Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
« on: May 19, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »
I'm always looking for ways to get another thread in the Top 10, although I hoped the Cobb's one would be more smooth sailing.   ;)

But the current Philly vs the World stuff made my brain think of classic movies and how GCA members fill the roles so beautifully.  And the 80s movie ST2WofK (wow, a young Kirstie Alley) with David Moriarty as Khan, and, of course, as Captain James T Kirk, one Thomas E. Paul.

;D
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tom Walsh

Re: (OT) Star Trek 2: The Wrath of Khan
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 06:40:05 PM »
"It was the best of those movies"
"vado pro vexillum!"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2012, 06:45:36 PM »
Keep in mind that Kahn was a genetically engineered super-human with great strength and intelligence :)

Joe Bausch

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »
Keep in mind that Kahn was a genetically engineered super-human with great strength and intelligence :)

Yes, but did you see how things turned out?

;)

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 07:01:03 PM »
I was hoping somebody would bring that up!   ;D

The protagonists in our drama:

Bart Bradley

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 08:03:14 PM »
Joe:

You are a beauty, you know that.   ;)

Bart

Sam Morrow

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »
Ricardo Montalban was a very good player in his younger days and a member if several high profile clubs.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 09:35:33 PM »
Ricardo Montalban was a very good player in his younger days and a member if several high profile clubs.

Si.  Gracias.   

Jose
----------------

Eric Smith

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:23:08 PM »
A summary of their contentious online relationship can be found here...

http://www.khaaan.com/

DMoriarty

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 03:32:34 PM »
Philly vs. the World?  That might be overstating it a bit.   Never seen the movie.  I generally prefer depictions of the real world to fantastic accounts of impossible encounters.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:34:06 PM by DMoriarty »
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Kyle Harris

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 04:31:43 PM »
Philly vs. the World?  That might be overstating it a bit.   Never seen the movie.  I generally prefer depictions of the real world to fantastic accounts of impossible encounters.

Quite ironic considering how you authored such a fantastic account linked here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/the-missing-faces-of-merion-by-david-moriarty-2/

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2012, 05:07:29 PM »
Joe, with regards to this analogy of the DM v TEP conflict, I think you have the wrong Star Trek.  It seems more like this:

These two dudes are condemned to an eternity across centuries of a battle just as our two actors have engaged about who designed what, when, why and who cares in the grand scheme of things; except them, where it has become an ageless endless battle of attribution triviality.

I believe this post officially qualifies me for the GCA.com white belt dork award.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Kyle Henderson

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012, 05:37:02 PM »

A brilliant man would not lose a battle between spaceships because he forgot that there are 3 spatial dimensions.
"I always knew terrorists hated us for our freedom. Now they love us for our bondage." -- Stephen T. Colbert discusses the popularity of '50 Shades of Grey' at Gitmo

DMoriarty

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012, 08:25:58 PM »
Quite ironic considering how you authored such a fantastic account linked here:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/the-missing-faces-of-merion-by-david-moriarty-2/

Kyle, that is funnier that Joe's initial post by far.  While it is difficult to see in its current garbled form (thanks to a change to the website) most of the main contentions of my IMO have proven to true.   According to those at Merion, CBM was integral in choosing the land and integral in planning the design. While Hugh Wilson had never traveled overseas to study the great courses, Wilson set out to build a course according to the final layout plan as approved by CBM and HJW, and based on the holes and features CBM thought great.    Whatever the others contributed, the final layout plan was CBM's call.

No fantasy. It is just that in certain places reality is a tough pill to swallow.

Professional question . . . amongst the many who are involved in designing a course, who has the final say on the design?  The intern? Some outside consultant who might have given some advice?  
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2012, 06:40:22 AM »
You really are Kahn.  An obsessed man with no goal other than to destroy the dreams of others.

DMoriarty

« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
You really are Kahn.  An obsessed man with no goal other than to destroy the dreams of others.

In all apparent seriousness you compare me to a fictional, futuristic, outer space villain, and accuse me of trying to destroy the dreams of others?  Apparently because I urged moderation and accuracy in the hyping of the Cobb's project, a project I have long supported and continue to support? 

Yet I am the one with the obsession?   

Interesting.  You guys sure are attached to your fantasies. 

Sam Morrow

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2012, 09:56:07 PM »
Interesting fact about the movie, the guy who played Sulu is gay.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back