News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Todd Kuspira

Practice Fairway - Pyramids
« on: May 18, 2012, 02:17:44 PM »
I work at a private golf club and I would like to try to use something other than pyramids on the practice fairway.  Has anybody seen or can recommend a suitable replacement that would enhance the practice fairway?  The club is located in Vancovuer, BC and we need something that is weather resistant.  Thank you for your thoughts.

Jason Topp

Re: Practice Fairway - Pyramids
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 04:58:38 PM »
You mean pyramids of golf balls?

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 05:01:18 PM »
How about a Sphinx? We don't see enough of those on practice fairways, nevermind golf courses.

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 05:36:41 PM »
With a nose on it Mark, so that someone back on the tee can aim at it, and return it to a more authentic appearance...
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Niall C

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 08:05:56 AM »
Todd

I'm a member of a Scottish golf club. Whats a practice fairway ?

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 10:09:50 AM »
Before this gets too far in the weeds...

I'm pretty sure he's talking about this that you see on Driving Ranges at fancy clubs..

If I was running a driving range, in Vancouver of all places, I'd just build a covering for the hitting area of the range and use mats for 9 months of the year when its raining

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »
Matthew, and in 50 years the club could hire Rees Napoleon III to restore it.

The problem of course would be getting him to stop there, not turning the playable Corsica island green into an Elba, for example.

Able was I ere I played Elba.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2012, 10:14:32 AM »
Actually, the pyramids do serve a purpose - they tend to keep the balls in a compact area (on the pyramid tray), which makes cleaning up the hitting area a lot easier at the end of the day.

I didn't like the look, but they do help our staff.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 10:20:29 AM by Dan Herrmann »

Sean Leary

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2012, 10:26:23 AM »
Before this gets too far in the weeds...

I'm pretty sure he's talking about this that you see on Driving Ranges at fancy clubs..

If I was running a driving range, in Vancouver of all places, I'd just build a covering for the hitting area of the range and use mats for 9 months of the year when its raining

I would agree until he mentioned weather resistant. That is when he lost me...

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2012, 12:45:33 PM »
IMO, setting up pyramids on the driving range tee is the stupidest thing ever.  It is a royal waste of time.  When I was at Tumble Creek, every morning we had to set a rope line and make about 10 pyramids of balls.  By 8am, about 7 of those pyramids were completely knocked over with balls all over the place.  For the amount of time it takes to set them up, have a trash can full of balls on the back of you cart, it justs a waste of time.

At Stone Eagle they just put the baskets out with the balls in them, looks just as good as the stupid pyramids.  And with baskets you just tip it over a bit, pour out your 20 balls and then are good to go.  With a pyramid you know some guy with take his 6 iron wack it right into the middle of the pyramid and watch the balls go all over the ground, and then only hit about 15 balls, and then walk away with a big mess. 

This is one of the many things that is NOT NEEDED in golf, along with valet service, 8 outside service guys breathing down your neck, a range attendent to clean your clubs while hitting balls.  So many things here in America that are a huge waste of money. 

JMEvensky

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2012, 05:56:26 PM »
IMO, setting up pyramids on the driving range tee is the stupidest thing ever.  It is a royal waste of time.  When I was at Tumble Creek, every morning we had to set a rope line and make about 10 pyramids of balls.  By 8am, about 7 of those pyramids were completely knocked over with balls all over the place.  For the amount of time it takes to set them up, have a trash can full of balls on the back of you cart, it justs a waste of time.

At Stone Eagle they just put the baskets out with the balls in them, looks just as good as the stupid pyramids.  And with baskets you just tip it over a bit, pour out your 20 balls and then are good to go.  With a pyramid you know some guy with take his 6 iron wack it right into the middle of the pyramid and watch the balls go all over the ground, and then only hit about 15 balls, and then walk away with a big mess. 

This is one of the many things that is NOT NEEDED in golf, along with valet service, 8 outside service guys breathing down your neck, a range attendent to clean your clubs while hitting balls.  So many things here in America that are a huge waste of money. 

I'm with you--money could be better spent in a lot of other places.

It always seemed to me that the people most interested in the pyramids are rarely ever practicing.The ones who practice seriously only care that there are enough balls on the range--not how they're arranged.

JMEvensky

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012, 05:59:28 PM »

Able was I ere I played Elba.

If you had figured out a workable palindrome,I was nominating this for the Goodale Poetic Posting Award.

Still pretty damn good.

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2012, 08:13:09 PM »

It always seemed to me that the people most interested in the pyramids are rarely ever practicing.The ones who practice seriously only care that there are enough balls on the range--not how they're arranged.

Exactly how much money is spent making pyamids?
They have devives that make them-takes about 2 seconds lomger than putting out a bucket.
I hate most of the excesses in golf,but I hate balls piled on a wet range dragged through sand(used to fill divots) worse.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2012, 10:27:28 PM »
What I don't understand is, 36 hours have passed and the thread-starter, the pyramid-whisperer has yet to check back. Buckets of balls are weather resistant, I guess.
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012, 09:44:04 AM »

Exactly how much money is spent making pyamids?
They have devives that make them-takes about 2 seconds lomger than putting out a bucket.
I hate most of the excesses in golf,but I hate balls piled on a wet range dragged through sand(used to fill divots) worse.

I find something comforting about a neat range set up with a rack and pyramid of white Titleists at each station.  I hate little green bags with 20 balls in each, charged at $3.50 each (like my old club in Virginia).

Peter Ferlicca

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2012, 10:25:10 AM »
The time it takes to set up a range with pyramids compared to just buckets is a lot longer.  If I am doing pyramids, you have a cart with a trash can on the back filled with balls.  Then you proceed to the range, first set the line to make sure all the pyramids are in a straight line, then you set down the tray, put over the pyramid stacker, then you have to scoop balls from the trash can into the stacker.  If you have to do over 10 pyramids, you will run out of balls and have to go and refill your trash can full of balls again. 

WHERE if you used just the buckets with balls in them.  You hop in the range picker with over 12 full buckets loaded in the back.  You proceed to the range and unload all the buckets right there.  MUCH QUICKER, and you have twice as many balls also.  A bucket holds about twice the amount of balls in a pyramid.  So then you don't have to constantly be refilling balls.

Sean Leary

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2012, 10:43:59 AM »
The time it takes to set up a range with pyramids compared to just buckets is a lot longer.  If I am doing pyramids, you have a cart with a trash can on the back filled with balls.  Then you proceed to the range, first set the line to make sure all the pyramids are in a straight line, then you set down the tray, put over the pyramid stacker, then you have to scoop balls from the trash can into the stacker.  If you have to do over 10 pyramids, you will run out of balls and have to go and refill your trash can full of balls again. 

WHERE if you used just the buckets with balls in them.  You hop in the range picker with over 12 full buckets loaded in the back.  You proceed to the range and unload all the buckets right there.  MUCH QUICKER, and you have twice as many balls also.  A bucket holds about twice the amount of balls in a pyramid.  So then you don't have to constantly be refilling balls.

Peter,

Soooooooo when do you start stacking my balls in a pyramid this summer?  ;)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
What I don't understand is, 36 hours have passed and the thread-starter, the pyramid-whisperer has yet to check back. Buckets of balls are weather resistant, I guess.

Have you ever shopped for a Sphinx? They're really hard to find.

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2012, 09:45:37 PM »
Oh, I see...he took the bait and is now walking on four legs, two legs or three?
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back