News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Invite to Cabot Links
« on: May 10, 2012, 04:10:02 PM »
Acknowledging in advance the short notice but .....

Bill Coore and Rod Whitman are both going to be hanging around Inverness on Cape Breton Island July 1, 2 and 3. Rod is there a few days earlier for Cabot Link’s eighteen hole grand opening and Bill is going to be prowling around the second site. Even better, Bill’s better half (Sue) will be there. As a famed motivational and sales trainer speaker, please note: Sue in NO WAY claims that the reticent Great Whit is - or ever has been - a client of hers!  8)  

Those dates are likely to be the last time these two architect friends are there together this year. For Yanks, Ben and I appreciate the timing is a bit weird with July 4th but we thought we would throw open an invite anyway.

The hotel will have just opened. We will have two group dinners on Sunday the 1st and Monday the 2nd whereby the two architects will take turns chatting about this and that. My girlfriend will be accompanying me and I imagine others will elect to travel as couples as well. There is plenty to do for non-golfers or Travel & Leisure wouldn’t have listed Cape Breton the #1 island in North America last year.

All day Sunday and Monday, Rod and I will stack our unblemished team match play record against any and all comers. Ala a certain resort course in Oregon, the price structure is tiered with the first round $110, the second $55 and the third free (and in early July, the fit and lion hearted can play until ~ 8:45pm).

Anyone interested, please call Cabot reservations at 902 258 2934, mention the GolfClubAtlas gathering and they’ll get you squared away.

I need to head home the morning of Tuesday, July 3rd but everyone is free to do as they so choose. At some point, taking the Cabot Trail and winding around to see Stanley Thompson’s masterpiece at Cape Breton Highlands is a must – it is a course like no other! Apart from an unparalleled walk through nature, it possesses some of the best/most unique fairway contours in world golf.

Ben and his family and I hope to see you up there.

Cheers,

Ben and Ran

PS For those with points on the airlines that fly into Halifax (primarily United, US Airways, Delta, and Air Canada), it is a GREAT ticket to use points.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:26:51 PM by Ran Morrissett »

Ron Farris

Re: Invite to Cabot Links
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 06:54:07 PM »
Sounds like a wonderful way to spend the 4th of July holiday. 
Congratulations to all! 

Steve Lang

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 03:51:45 PM »
 8) Ran,

MS Sheila and I were looking for a Black Mesa rematch, but we may just hunt you out at Cape Breton..  now is Rod W as good as Doug W?

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 09:51:07 PM »
This generous offer is amazingly tempting, 

Terry Lavin

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 09:18:51 AM »
Great concept!  I'm probably heading up there for the fall colors with a group from Chicago. Can't wait.
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American people.  H.L. Mencken

Dan Byrnes

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:01:11 AM »
Is there an airport closer to Highland Links?  Fly there to play and fly from there to the closest airport to Cabot or are they one in the same for two engine 8 passenger plane?  If I was going to go with the Mrs and family I would just drive but not sure me and my golf buddies want the scenic route as much as more golf on these magnificent courses.

Dan

Howard Riefs

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 03:47:33 PM »
Is there an airport closer to Highland Links?  Fly there to play and fly from there to the closest airport to Cabot or are they one in the same for two engine 8 passenger plane?  If I was going to go with the Mrs and family I would just drive but not sure me and my golf buddies want the scenic route as much as more golf on these magnificent courses.

Dan

Details on airport options:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,51949.0.html
"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Don Hyslop

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 04:31:25 PM »
I have never seen it but Baddeck  has a small airport as well.

http://www.crownjewelresort.com/aviation/

They say on the website that they are open not only to resort guests but also to those interested in playing golf.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 04:40:44 PM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

ed_getka

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 10:30:07 AM »
I would love to try and get up there for this. I am trying to figure out the best way to get up there.
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 07:03:05 PM »
I would love to try and get up there for this. I am trying to figure out the best way to get up there.

So far it looks like fly to Halifax (Delta non stop from Atlanta) and drive!   According to Google Maps a mere 4-1/2 hours....... :P

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 07:32:16 PM »
Bill and others,
The drive from Halifax airport is 180 miles and takes 3 hours of driving time, with the vast majority being 60-70 MPH highway.

As for airlines serving Halifax, here is who flies direct and from where:

Air Canada   from:
Boston

Delta Airlines from;
New York (JFK) becoming New York (LaGuardia)
Detroit
Atlanta

United Airlines from:
Washington (Dulles)
Chicago (O'Hare)
Newark

US Airways from:
Philadelphia
Washington (National)

William_G

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 11:24:52 PM »
thanks, but will be suffering in Bandon for the 4th!
It's all about the golf!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 11:30:46 PM »

All the cool people will be just leaving Dismal.

William_G

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2012, 11:57:29 PM »

All the cool people will be just leaving Dismal.

hahaha, can't wait to return to the land of the cornhuskers
It's all about the golf!

ed_getka

« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 07:56:28 PM »

So far it looks like fly to Halifax (Delta non stop from Atlanta) and drive!   According to Google Maps a mere 4-1/2 hours....... :P

Bill,
   Flying is for wimps. Mapquest says its only 27 hours to drive from Chapel Hill. 8)
"Perimeter-weighted fairways", The best euphemism for containment mounding I've ever heard.

David_Elvins

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 05:02:55 AM »
Flying is for wimps. Mapquest says its only 27 hours to drive from Chapel Hill. 8)

that would be a solid days driving, even for you, ed.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 01:23:47 AM by David_Elvins »
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ran Morrissett

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 07:47:47 PM »
The four most asked questions since I made the original post are:

1) Since Ted Sturges is coming, can I be guaranteed not to play with that braying donkey?

2) What price range are the rooms?

3) Ran, does your girlfriend respond well to the word TYRANT?

4) When are people generally planning to arrive?

In order, the answers are yes, $220-$280 based on type room/# of people staying in it, my personal experience says EMPHATICALLY NO but you are welcome to try, and Saturday late afternoon.

Not a single person has voiced concern that Rod will talk too much at dinner. However, rest assured: As at the Academy Awards, if he goes too long, Ben will start playing the piano.

;D

ed_getka

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »

Fortunately I don't have any large bodies of water between me and my objective. :)

Rob Rigg

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 01:30:16 AM »
Gonna miss this by a month - but so stoked to see a links course in the homeland!

Congrats to all involved - enjoy the walk on opening weekend!

Ted Sturges

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 10:17:42 AM »
For Ran:    "Eeeeeyyyyaaaaawwwww"

"braying?"....

TS

Stephen Davis

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2012, 11:56:14 AM »
Although, I will not be able to make it up for this, I absolutely plan on getting up there and hopefully soon! Thanks for the invite!

Adam Clayman

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2012, 11:16:42 PM »
Surely, one of golf's most beloved photographers, will allow us all, that cannot make it to what sounds like a wonderful gathering, to live vicariously through his pictures?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 09:54:32 AM »

For anyone looking for added incentive, here is a shot of the Cape hole taken this morning. Narrowly missed in this image was the first lobster boat of the morning returning with their catch.

JC Jones

« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2012, 07:38:49 AM »

Fortunately I don't have any large bodies of water between me and my objective. :)

Ed,

It'd be quicker from Charlotte because you can avoid 95 until Philly.  Sooooooo, pick me up?  ;D
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »
Air Canada flies to Halifax 6 times a week from London Heathrow!
Cave Nil Vino

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back