News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Jaeger,

The diagram you posted reflects the modern version of USGA greens.

The USGA green in the 90's and earlier had a four to six (4-6) inch layer or choker of sand between the stone and the seed mix.

Patrick,

The intermediate layer is 2" to 4" and is not an older version or a more modern version. It is desirable in circumstances where the properties of the gravel and the rootzone differ so much so as to require it.

USGA are clear to not call it a "spec". It's a recommendation and architects and constructors put their own spin on it all the time. Trouble is that it's so universal now that if things go wrong and they haven't followed the recommendation to the letter, there may be consequences...

Joey Chase

Ally you beat me to it.  The choker layer was just as you say, I had never heard of it even as thick as 4". 

Tom, the point of the perched water table is not to keep the sand layer moist but rather to keep the bottom of the layer moist with a greater surface tension in the sand than in the gravel.  Most of the water gets flushed through leaving just enough moisture in the interface between the layers to encourage the roots to dig for the water supply. 

On the point of the varying depths in the rootzone mix, didn't the USGA build a wildly contouring green at the golf house in NJ with varying depths?  I remember hearing that they were playing with the idea of suggesting this in the future.  Seems like an impossiblity to create interesting greens this way.  It would take some serious challenges for the shaper working towards an end result.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back